Well I think its a keeper, 98 GT with a question

Paladin1001

Reaction score
So I recently introduced myself and told how I picked up a 98 GT 5-speed with some aftermarket parts on it Eibach lowering springs, BBK CAI and TB, Maximum Motorsports caster camber plate and magnaflow exhaust. I finally got it to where I'm comfortable driving it around, I still have to do the fuel filter, new hoses, thermostat and rear end oil change but everything else is done.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be keeping it because I know it has had a hard life judging by the quality or lack thereof of the work that had been done to it and by the previous owner's description of how he drove it.

Today I drove it for around 60-70 miles and with the AC on running in both city traffic and country roads it never got above 205 degrees and it drives really well. It handles surprisingly much better than my Fox notch and vert, even though both of those have had suspension work. I have to say I am quite impressed with the SN's now that I have one. My daughter is going to be happy too because I told her when we were working on it that if it didn't drive well or wasn't reliable I wouldn't put her in it as her first car. She's been keeping her fingers crossed that it would be a good car, she already loves it.

Now for the question. What is the consensus opinion on putting a plug with some holes drilled in it in the inlet side of the heater core hose to restrict flow in order to protect the heater core from rupturing? I bought a brass plug and brass connector today and am thinking of installing this when I do the coolant and hoses.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I should think restricting the inlet will decrease flow but not the pressure, and pressure is what ruptures cores. That said, glad you like the car.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I thought they had one from the factory? I know the fox cars did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trebor3170

Reaction score
Restricting the flow will not reduce the pressure, which is controlled by the radiator cap. The water pump is not technically a pump, but a circulator that moves fluid thru the system, it may slightly increase the pressure on the outlet side, but not enough to make a difference in the overall system. If the water pump was truly a pump, like, say a power steering pump, then, yes a restriction would decrease the pressure in the core. All a restriction is going to do is decrease flow thru the heater core.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
OK, so I'm getting that y'all don't think its necessary to slow the flow to the core? I didn't realize they put a restriction on the Foxes as well. I did wonder if they had done it with the SN's. Any other tips to make it last longer? I really don't want to have to replace it, I did it in my 89 'vert and it SUCKED!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the time when a heater core goes bad it has had rust issues. Not so much a pressure issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
I can't speak for it's history but the coolant right now looks good, no rust and nice and green but I'm still going to change it when I do the hoses. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't go bad. Thanks for all the replies.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I'm no expert but would the thermostat hole mod help? I'd think it would keep more coolant flowing freely even if just a little.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
That's a good point, I will do that, I still haven't gotten to the hoses and thermostat but i will do that when I replace the t-stat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas