Well went to a dyno today......

voidfinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, well my car club rented a dyno today and i got my car dynoed for the first time since it was " " New " " Anyway, when it was new it was my brothers car... it dynoed 175 rwhp and blah blah torque. Well today i had it on a mustang dyno and it pulled a 185 rwhp and a 231 rwtq. This is with the pi intake , k&n , mac o/r prochamber, and cat back. Hmmmm o and the a/r went into the high 11's when it went past 4k. The dyno guy was like WTF , he asked about the thing and i told him about the intake and he said that was what was causing it. He told me that with out a tune a "volumetric" increase such as the way higher flowing pi intake would f up your a/r untill you had a proper tune... O well, i guess thats why i've been getting shit gas milage. But out the 3 fords in the dyno thing today i had the highest lol... vs a 4.0 v6 explorer and 97 grand marques... which was at 171 and 219 but he had the flattest curve i've ever seen and it really impressed the dyno guy.

On a side note how do you get such a flat nice looking power curve ??

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
he asked about the thing and i told him about the intake and he said that was what was causing it. He told me that with out a tune a "volumetric" increase such as the way higher flowing pi intake would f up your a/r untill you had a proper tune...
Horseshit.
JL

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
what would cause that then? it didn't run rich before i put the intake on... even with the o/r prochamber it didnt blow smoke out the tail pipes when i goosed it and it got over 4k.

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
it didn't run rich before i put the intake on..
And you've got datalogs from a wideband o2 sensor showing this relative to RPM?
The OEM calibration for '96-'98 GT's is very very shitty to say the least. Catalyst temp model,base fuel tables,etc...all will make them pig-rich above 4000 rpms.
There's alot more to it,but that's exactly the way they are in a stock tune.
JL

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea it had the hp and tq curves and then you have the a/f ratio line that goes good till approx 3800 and then just dived down to 11.2 withing 150 rpm after 4k.

Strange thing is that a grand marques with just s cat back made within 9 hp and 11 or so ftlb's and the motor was stone cold stock. and he had a nice pretty curve for hp and tq and his a/f ratio line stayed at 12.8/12.6 all the way till red line. All he has done to the car was the catback.

:dunno:

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
yea it had the hp and tq curves and then you have the a/f ratio line that goes good till approx 3800 and then just dived down to 11.2 withing 150 rpm after 4k.

Strange thing is that a grand marques with just s cat back made within 9 hp and 11 or so ftlb's and the motor was stone cold stock. and he had a nice pretty curve for hp and tq and his a/f ratio line stayed at 12.8/12.6 all the way till red line. All he has done to the car was the catback.

grand marquis had a 4.6 modular from 98 up...so its pretty much the same engine as your car..what did you epect?

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
voidfinger said:

grand marquis had a 4.6 modular from 98 up...so its pretty much the same engine as your car..what did you epect?

It was a 97, but i was thinking that a car with a pi intake, o/r prochamber, cat back, and K&N would run a little better than a marques with none of those and a land boat npi intake.... come on only 10 hp over ???? i thought i was suppose to get 15 rwhp from the intake alone like everyone said ??? but i'm not gonna bitch i'm just confused. thats all

96sohc

Reaction score
Odd, mustang dynos are known to read higher than a Dynojet, I'd wager you'd put down a little more than that on a Dynojet.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea no dout . MM&FF dynoed the "project red headed step child" on a dynojet and it put 195 HP down completely stock. they had 215 stock and it had 200k. So i should be at 20X stock then. But that aint happening ! I don't understand what the problem is ... This is really strange ...

Any ideas guys or advise on what it could be ?

NERD

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Hey guys, well my car club rented a dyno today and i got my car dynoed for the first time since it was " " New " " Anyway, when it was new it was my brothers car... it dynoed 175 rwhp and blah blah torque. Well today i had it on a mustang dyno and it pulled a 185 rwhp and a 231 rwtq. This is with the pi intake , k&n , mac o/r prochamber, and cat back. Hmmmm o and the a/r went into the high 11's when it went past 4k. The dyno guy was like WTF , he asked about the thing and i told him about the intake and he said that was what was causing it. He told me that with out a tune a "volumetric" increase such as the way higher flowing pi intake would f up your a/r untill you had a proper tune... O well, i guess thats why i've been getting shit gas milage. But out the 3 fords in the dyno thing today i had the highest lol... vs a 4.0 v6 explorer and 97 grand marques... which was at 171 and 219 but he had the flattest curve i've ever seen and it really impressed the dyno guy.

On a side note how do you get such a flat nice looking power curve ??

I hope this was on a mustang brake dyno!

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Yea it was a Mustang Dyno.

Has anyone else dynoed their cars ???

Reaction score
You're comparing numbers from 2 different dynos,and even worse-you're comparing numbers from 2 different model and brand dynos.
Stop this insanity before you drive yourself crazy.
JL

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
I'm just saying that the people have told me that the dynojet would read about 10 or so hp higher than the mustang dyno. Thats all i'm saying.

But my main concern is why a completely stock other than cat back 97 grand marques made that close to a modded mustang. i really fail to believe that the pi intake, exaust, and filter would only give 10hp. Exspecially since people rave on and on about how the pi intake will give you 15 rwhp more by itself. Thats all i'm saying.

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
I'm just saying that the people have told me that the dynojet would read about 10 or so hp higher than the mustang dyno. Thats all i'm saying.

But my main concern is why a completely stock other than cat back 97 grand marques made that close to a modded mustang. i really fail to believe that the pi intake, exaust, and filter would only give 10hp. Exspecially since people rave on and on about how the pi intake will give you 15 rwhp more by itself. Thats all i'm saying.
You're still looking at it all wrong.
Was your torque converter locked during the pulls?
Was the CV's torque converter locked during the pulls?
What was the air fuel on the CV?
The PI intake does indeed yield 15-20 rwhp. Your engine is drowning in fuel,so it's not gonna make power until that stops.
JL

Hybridbird

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
voidfinger said:

The Crown Vic/Grand Marquis got the 4.6 in 92,just a little FYI.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car dynoed 205-ish with just an intake, and cat-back. It was also piggy rich, 12:1 range, but I had an xcal to help me out.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
My car dynoed 205-ish with just an intake, and cat-back. It was also piggy rich, 12:1 range, but I had an xcal to help me out.

on a dyno jet or a mustang dyno? Not bad numbers

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
voidfinger said:

You're still looking at it all wrong.
Was your torque converter locked during the pulls?
Was the CV's torque converter locked during the pulls?
What was the air fuel on the CV?
The PI intake does indeed yield 15-20 rwhp. Your engine is drowning in fuel,so it's not gonna make power until that stops.
JL

yes both the converters locked. They had problems getting mine to lock the first run threw but the second it locked. The GMarques' torque converter locked also. I don't remember the GM's a/f ratio. I'll ask next time i see him, probably friday.

So my problem is the factory tune then? even if i got with the npi intake will that still be a problem or will it fix it slightly? So getting a good tune would fix this problem all together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online