Well went to a dyno today......

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I never bothered to ask them to, by the time I figured it out I was in California, and they were still in Ohio.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Vendetta said:
cobra swap isnt that big of a deal.. a good running 5 speed PI GT with gears gives a 96-98 cobra run for its money

yep it will give a stock cobra a run but it won't do much on a 4.10's or 4.30's swapped cobra. But hey it don't matter, i'm just thinking of when i put a power adder on there....why not take all you can from it.

ripper

Reaction score
Tunning is like anything else. You need exp. Every car you run into stuff they didnt tell you about LOL.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol, i didn't feel so bad though. I went back by today and looked at his 96 saleen with a vortec on it lol. It made 220 and 26X Rwhp. So my 98 with pi intake and exaust vs his 96 with Vortec, frpp headers, dr gas midpipe, borla exaust, and bigger t/b.

Hmmm... mine 185 RWHP/ 231 RWTQ
220 RWHP/ 26X RWTQ

Not to bad then i think lol. He has a killer Saleen ... man, i want to make love to that car... :hammer:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
He made 220 rwhp with a Vortec? WTF? I made 30? back in the day with a box stock NPI and box-stock Vortec kit, complete with FMU.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Probably in the tune then, is what killed him, or he has some bad leaks loosing boost out the ass.

Yea cobra with gear swap is definately quick.. cobras boosted have alot more potential, but thats only when you get about the 800rwhp mark :dunno: i'm desperately trying to get a 5 speed into my car.. once thats done, i'll swap on the brand new 02 gt top end i have from ford, and save up for a procharger or vortech :dancing6:

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Vendetta said:
Probably in the tune then, is what killed him, or he has some bad leaks loosing boost out the ass.

Yea cobra with gear swap is definately quick.. cobras boosted have alot more potential, but thats only when you get about the 800rwhp mark :dunno: i'm desperately trying to get a 5 speed into my car.. once thats done, i'll swap on the brand new 02 gt top end i have from ford, and save up for a procharger or vortech :dancing6:

Put a vortec 8 pound s trim on a gt then one on a cobra... you'll see which likes the boost more lol.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
He made 220 rwhp with a Vortec? WTF? I made 30? back in the day with a box stock NPI and box-stock Vortec kit, complete with FMU.

Yep, its a box stock npi with a box stock vortec kit.. FMU and all... showed me the dyno graph.. about 4500 rpm the car goes to about 10 or so A/F ratio. Need more tuning but other than that its a stock motor with the stock kit on it. Car has less than 30k on it i think. Super nice car. But that was on a mustang dyno... not an inflated dyno jet. If a 96-98 car made over 200 hp to the wheels stock like i've been hearing some people say around here then yea... which i don't get since the car has 215 or so hp to the fly wheels so no way in hell over 200 stock.. lol.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was in the 180 range on a dynojet, all I've ever used. Those are amazingly low number's for a Vortech though, that was exactly my set-up and I had 80 hp on him. Welded in Flows, which I'm going to assume did nothing for power, lol. Maybe he need's to look into changing the rate on the FMU...

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea that 80 hp on a dyno jet would be about a 15 hp difference on a mustang dyno. But yea its a stock 6 pound pulley on it. It only advertised a 70 flywheel hp increase... plus don't forget that he has a 96..underpowered also.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Vendetta said:

Put a vortec 8 pound s trim on a gt then one on a cobra... you'll see which likes the boost more lol.

friend of mine has a 97 cobra making 400 at the wheels on a stock motor.. and then another friend slapped on a vortech on a PI gt.. and low and behold 400 as well :)

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
Vendetta said:
voidfinger said:
Vendetta said:

friend of mine has a 97 cobra making 400 at the wheels on a stock motor.. and then another friend slapped on a vortech on a PI gt.. and low and behold 400 as well :)

LOL i call BS on that one. I know first hand that isn't working... unless the entry level procharger was putting out 6 psi and the Vortech was putting out like 12 or more. Fist off, the cobra is a head of the gt by 40 hp or more. Now add a supercharger to a 4v head it will out flow the hell out of a 2v with a supercharger. I'm just saying that if you put the same supercharger on a gt and then on the cobra the cobra is going to respond to it better. Plus the 10:1 Cr will also create better response from the supercharger. I'm not talking shit but i've seen it done. :blah2:

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
LOL i call BS on that one. I know first hand that isn't working... unless the entry level procharger was putting out 6 psi and the Vortech was putting out like 12 or more. Fist off, the cobra is a head of the gt by 40 hp or more. Now add a supercharger to a 4v head it will out flow the hell out of a 2v with a supercharger. I'm just saying that if you put the same supercharger on a gt and then on the cobra the cobra is going to respond to it better. Plus the 10:1 Cr will also create better response from the supercharger. I'm not talking shit but i've seen it done. :blah2:

:dunno: the guy may have bs'd his numbers with the GT.. i wasn't there to see it dyno'd, only seen the car. go onto kenne belles website.. better yet heres the page. http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt96-03_2v/gt96-04.htm

9 psi intercooled, there making right at about 400/427

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
o i don't dought that... they're are just so many possibilities ya know. :)

firstonraceday

Reaction score
Johnny Langton said:
voidfinger said:
If you don't mind me asking, how would a tuner turn that "off" . It sounds like something embedded in the pcm. Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. When i comes to tuning ... give me a Really long screwdriver and a holley any day lol.
It's really easy-if you know what you're doing. People pay alot of money for tuning software and training on how to use it,so I'm not gonna give up much detail on it.....But if you're looking for a good tuner-I can make some recommendations on who actually know what they're doing.
JL
awwww come on....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online