Wet Drivers Side Rear Carpet 94 V6 Convertible

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the subject, I have a 1994 V6 convertible and over the past 4 months or so I have noticed that the carpet in the back on the drivers side is wet. Interestingly, this seems to be coming from underneath as I have a mat there as well - the top of the mat is dry, but the underside is wet, as if the water is coming from below.

IMG_20200307_1658133.jpg

I've had the top changed in the past 4 weeks as this was leaking at the back where the rear window section joined and I now have a 1-piece which is not leaking at all.

I have poured a load of water over it and there's no leaks I can see from the hood / windows and where the wet patch is there's no obvious path to it either as in there's no run patch or anything - it's just there in the middle.

I seem to recall reading somewhere about a drain hole underneath that could be blocked or similar - could this be the culprit at this time or am I looking for something more sinister?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Just found this on another forum...

Drain.jpg

Could that be the culprit? Or at least a good place to start?

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Also found this on another site - a screwdriver showing a wheel drain hole on a 2004 new edge location.

picture_php_pictureid_55485_bb439eb5e5d76e13a8e8231d2a503431f29d975e.jpg

Is this also in the same place on the 1994?

I am going to check these out later anyway...

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
So, having had a bit of a further dig, I lifted out the back seat as well - drivers side wet underneath...

IMG_20200308_1342516.jpg

And I also lifted the carpet a bit on the drivers-side rear and it is basically saturated...

IMG_20200308_1340414.jpg

Was about to get the other half's hair dryer out to start a drying process (have gone under with towels) and the heavens opened.

I am wondering if any of this is actually from the previous leaky roof and it's just been lying dormant as the rear carpet does not appear any wetter after the overnight rain from yesterday.

Just waiting for the rain to stop and then the drying will commence - and check it back in a few days to see if there's wetness anywhere again...

Also be interesting to see if any more water has appeared as it is currently in a state where things are not in their correct locations.

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

So some progress - and I think positive.

When the rain stopped I went outside and had a look - no new water so that's good. Still thought I would make it rain more so I filled a watering can and poured it over the roof and windows. Under the car, looks like the drain holes I can't find are indeed there and working as expected as I could see water coming out in those areas - yes the rear wheel one wasn't as fast as it could be (or the other side as I checked both) but at least water was draining out.

I then noticed in the corner where the wiring loom goes up that there was a small damp trickle appearing on the factory sealant...

IMG_20200308_1441026.jpg

After a couple of minutes, this had progressed along quite a bit of the edge of the sealant...

IMG_20200308_1443579.jpg

And 10 minutes later....

IMG_20200308_1449332.jpg

I remembered reading on other forums whilst searching this out that others had seen that the factory seals were not so good after many years of service so I've been to the local auto parts store (as you call it over there!) and got some sealant.

Have now swamped the corner area in the stuff and also around the sides where there was factory sealant and also along that seam that it was trickling along.

Now waiting for it to dry - it's sunny but not too warm but I'm not going to put everything back until the morning probably so it has full time to cure.

Will go out with the hair dryer in an hour or so though to start the drying process.

Then I guess we wait for the next rainfall...

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Should have added, doesn't explain the wetness under the rear seats, but I still think that could be from the original leak of the previous roof...

TMW

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

More rain overnight and no water in the area as yesterday. I think this is encouraging.

Have hairdryered the carpet and the underneath and got as much water out as I can.

Guess I have to wait now for the next rains and see if the water re-appears once more...

Regards

TMW

Chip66

Reaction score
I'd wager the water was from the previous rear window leaking. When it leaks it drips into the well liner which then leaks at its seams and makes its way down under the rear seat. From there it will overflow into the rear carpet. Neither of these places will dry out without help or long periods of time.

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

That's kind-of my thinking too, other than the test yesterday afternoon before I did the extra sealant where you can see the water slowly flowing in the images above (hopefully!).

We've had a ton of rain this evening for a good 2 hours or more so will check her tomorrow and see if any water has appeared at the carpet again. Am hoping not based on what we had overnight yesterday and this morning was dry but we shall see...

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, but it's the wrong side for that I would say.

Also don't take it through car washes - just don't trust them on a convertible...

TMW

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This may not be your problem but if you go through a car wash with the A/C on, water comes in on the passenger side through the ductwork.

If you have this happening your car may have an issue. Been through plenty of car washes with ac on and never had that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi all,

So we've had some rain these past few days and.......
..there's more wetness there again :-(

Interestingly, towards the back where the rear seat is is dry, the wetest patch is mainly in the centre of the rear carpet.

Does that help with working out where it could be coming from?

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Hi Sheriff41,

So where does that go exactly? Not seeing the car at the moment I can't get my head round it!

$29.99 is not bad if it stops the rain - will drop them a note re international shipping - appreciating it might be delayed for a while!

Would I need to remove something already there and put this in its place?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Dang - they don't ship internationally..don't suppose you know anywhere that sells this that does?

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
I'd wager the water was from the previous rear window leaking. When it leaks it drips into the well liner which then leaks at its seams and makes its way down under the rear seat. From there it will overflow into the rear carpet. Neither of these places will dry out without help or long periods of time.

Hi,

Well, we had a ton of rain over the past 30 hours or so - hasn't stopped.

So I checked the carpet.

Dry.

Completely dry.

Looks like your wager was right at this stage...

Regards

TMW

OP
OP
tmwsccsh

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
One day after the deluge, all I will say is....

Dammit!!!

Back to the drawing board...

TMW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online