wet sanding?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
When paint is sprayed onto the car it forms little ripples in the paint/clear coat. AKA orange peel
and that diffuses the light refraction.
When you wet sand, you're taking the tops of the ripples off and making the paint flatter and that gives you the mirror like shine.
It's best to use a sanding block.
A factory paint job only has a very thin layer of clearcoat, so be careful.
I wouldn't use anything below 800 grit to start, then work up to 1000, 1200, 1600.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like mentioned wet sanding is generally done to remove orange peel after a paint job.

Some people have said if their paint is looking bad that a good wet sand can bring it back to life, I know a friend wet sanded his camaro and it made a big difference, his was aftermarket paint that was on his car for about 5 years though.

Its not a easy task and the possible issues out weigh the benefits if your not sure what your doing.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just as said above, wetsanding if for leveling the paint in a more uniform fashion.

Wetsanding is a very advanced form of detailing that should not be tried by a amateur. You cant really wetsand a stock paint job and it can only be cleaned back up with a rotary.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Just as said above, wetsanding if for leveling the paint in a more uniform fashion.

Wetsanding is a very advanced form of detailing that should not be tried by a amateur. You cant really wetsand a stock paint job and it can only be cleaned back up with a rotary.

Why not? We did it to my car in my body and paint class.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
a body and paint class is professional training.

By amateur i mean the guy that just started detailing with a porter cable buffer and has a factory clear coat.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
OH ok, I see. Yeah it makes a big difference...all cars I own in the future will be wetsanded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online