What tires do you guys run on track?

Mustangguy18

Reaction score
For track days do you guys run dot or non-dot tires? I really would be interested in a way to get the continental grand am tires as my track tires. Tell me what tires you guys prefer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
For track days do you guys run dot or non-dot tires? I really would be interested in a way to get the continental grand am tires as my track tires. Tell me what tires you guys prefer

What tires have you run in the past? What is your experience? And finally what group or class do you anticipate running?

My race class has Toyo as a sponsor and requires us to use RA1 tires. I have experience with R888 and this year the RR will be legal as well. But these are all Proxes DOT R-compound tires. Meaning they are deemed for 'competition events only'.

I've never heard of the Continental Grand Am tires. It is a race series, but couldn't find info on tires.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys who run NT01's on the track, they're basically the closest you can get to track tires while still being DOT approved. Planning on picking up a set in the next month.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
M/T et streets or pro radial or hoosiers. Dont waist your time with anything else.

ba#97

Reaction score
RA1'S are dot approved I do believe. obviously unshaved. main question as rich said would be what is your experience and what are you doing with the car? class wise etc etc. I switched back to a 'street' tire setup this year with Hankook ventus rs3's which are some of the stickiest street tires out there. but I did that to keep legal for redline time attack this year. just fyi, by the end of this year I may be selling this hot rod to go spec e30/kart racing so if anyone is interested....start saving up! haha.

OP
OP
Mustangguy18

Mustangguy18

Reaction score
Damn I thought I posted this in the road racing section not strip.

I'm amateur, and am looking to use them for mainly autocross but occasionally other road track jaunts when I get a chance. I've seen race teams selling scrub conti extreme contact in the size I need so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with em. Plus I like the yellow side wall writing but that's unimportant. What would you guys say is the best bang for your buck when it comes to grippy tires?

RichV

Reaction score
Take-offs are just fine. If you know of people that will give or sell cheap tires do it. If you don't mind swapping tires more frequently. I'd definitely have a set of track wheels, and get what you can get in your size.

In that case, you really can't be picky.

If you want to get new, just go with some high performance summer tires the lower the UTOG rating, the softer they are.

ba#97

Reaction score
for bang for your buck tires brand new? if you can find some used track tires 'take offs'....then by all means go for those and just swap them on and off. i did that with bfg r1's for my last set of tires. do you street this car? when I streeted and autocrossed my car i ran nitto nt05's without any issues. they weren't bad. just depends on what you're willing to spend. I hear the bfg rivals are mean ultra high performance street tires and not too bad price wise.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
If you are looking for some decent tires that can run on the street as well. Kuhmo XS, Dunlop Star-spec, BFG G-force Rival, to name a few that havnt been named yet. But some of them do not come in big boy sizes that the fat mustang needs. lol.
And as of this spring I will be testing the MT ET Street as a DD/possible auto-x tire.

Again these are tires more for DD/ aggressive driving / driving to a track day here or there/ auto-x.

Full blown track tires, rich is on point.

And continental sponsors Grand-Am, or now IMSA-Tudor. It is not a tire.

proudgeek

Reaction score
Nitto nt05s for now as it rains so randomly here in South Florida. Nt01s on the list for next set on another set of wheels. Will you be driving to and from the track with the tires?

ba#97

Reaction score
If you are looking for some decent tires that can run on the street as well. Kuhmo XS, Dunlop Star-spec, BFG G-force Rival, to name a few that havnt been named yet. But some of them do not come in big boy sizes that the fat mustang needs. lol.
And as of this spring I will be testing the MT ET Street as a DD/possible auto-x tire.

Again these are tires more for DD/ aggressive driving / driving to a track day here or there/ auto-x.

Full blown track tires, rich is on point.

And continental sponsors Grand-Am, or now IMSA-Tudor. It is not a tire.

Aren't.....et streets.....drag tires?

ba#97

Reaction score
Ok than yes drag tires....lol....so idk how good they would be for autocross is what I was going to get at.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Ok than yes drag tires....lol....so idk how good they would be for autocross is what I was going to get at.

I'm gonna guess probably not great lol.. You might have better luck on streets to be honest. A nice set of bfg gforce tires are sticky for streets. I happen to really like mine and even ran halfway decent times at the track considering they are streets

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ba#97

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess probably not great lol.. You might have better luck on streets to be honest. A nice set of bfg gforce tires are sticky for streets. I happen to really like mine and even ran halfway decent times at the track considering they are streets

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I hear rivals are really damn good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.