What transmission?!

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
So any help here is appreciated, I have a 2003 mustang v6 automatic, I am putting a 331 stroker in it but I'm having everything be mechanical I have no computers and very minimal wireing, I am not sure of what transmission I should put in, right now I believe it has the 4r70w which I believe is electronic? I just would like suggestions, I don't think I will be making more then 450 at the flywheel and it's not a track car and it's not a car I'll drive alot and I probably won't beat on it that much. Just to have for fun and also to build a fun custom car. I don't care if its Manuel or automatic but I'm thinking that I would prefer automatic with a manual valve body.

Thanks again!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Use the transmission you have (4r70w) and get a manual valve body from lentech or silver fox. Youre also going to want a better, higher stall torque converter in there.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you want manual transmission, look at the 94-95 trannys. I believe they are T5's, but are specific to them years. They have a longer bellhousing and input shaft to aid in shifter placement and are small block bolt pattern.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Use the transmission you have (4r70w) and get a manual valve body from lentech or silver fox. Youre also going to want a better, higher stall torque converter in there.
If I have a manual valve body put in, it bypasss the electronics? I was reading something saying you could switch the case to a earlier non-electric one but I'm a little confused by the whole thing im not great with tranny's every thing else I'm fine with just not that educated in transmissions

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hot dog youve got the right guy on it then! Lwarrior is the shiz nits to the slush box!

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Okay so I get what your saying but just wondering what shifter do you think I should go with? I was thinking the b&m but I was wondering how the over drive would work if there was no electronics ?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
If I have a manual valve body put in, it bypasss the electronics? I was reading something saying you could switch the case to a earlier non-electric one but I'm a little confused by the whole thing im not great with tranny's every thing else I'm fine with just not that educated in transmissions

Okay so I get what your saying but just wondering what shifter do you think I should go with? I was thinking the b&m but I was wondering how the over drive would work if there was no electronics ?

The manual valve body will replace the electronics in your transmission accept for overdrive and lockup. Those will need to be run on toggle switches. The valve body will be manual meaning you will have to shift it up and down every gear like you were driving a stick shift car. I think some companies have made a non-electric valve body for it the allows you to put it in drive and go. Ill have to look into that a little bit though. I have a b&m pro magnum shifter in my car. I can post a picture if you want it.

Im going to get some more definite answers for you.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
The manual valve body will replace the electronics in your transmission accept for overdrive and lockup. Those will need to be run on toggle switches. The valve body will be manual meaning you will have to shift it up and down every gear like you were driving a stick shift car. I think some companies have made a non-electric valve body for it the allows you to put it in drive and go. Ill have to look into that a little bit though. I have a b&m pro magnum shifter in my car. I can post a picture if you want it.

Im going to get some more definite answers for you.
If you could post pictures that would be very appreciated, I would like to see your set up, like i said I'm great with motors but the transmission and which electronics I need to keep and how to wire it is a little confusing for me and it's hard to get an answer but if I'm going to do some more searching also because I thought I have seen a non electronic valve body that had a linkage operated overdrive. But if you find anything please post also do you have a manual valve body or just the shifter? Thanks again

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
And I also am pretty sure I've seen a shifter where you manuel shift thru the gears or if you click it down and to the right it just goes right in to drive

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You could give silverfox a call and ask some questions. They seem to be real knowledgeable when it comes to these transmissions and from what Ive seen, they have awesome customer service.

I can't find any pictures of my shifter setup, [MENTION=8229]97stanger[/MENTION] has the same setup in his car, maybe he can post a picture up. If he can't, Ill get one on monday.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
28694eee9be32c1b293bc29af16de5ad.jpg

Let me know if you need any more photos or have any questions. Like said, a manual valve body is manual, there is no drive or electronics besides toggle switch for lockup and overdrive which can be wired together. You can also look into stand alone controllers such as the Quick 4 for our trans as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score

Let me know if you need any more photos or have any questions. Like said, a manual valve body is manual, there is no drive or electronics besides toggle switch for lockup and overdrive which can be wired together. You can also look into stand alone controllers such as the Quick 4 for our trans as well

Thank you both very much,helped alot l like the setup

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score

Who makes the plate for the shifter?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
If you’re on Facebook message Grant Holland. Just let him know color/hydrodip or whatever you want and any gauge openings, toggle switches etc and he will hook ya up

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll look them up and see I may make my own and also redo the hvac controls and make my own day plate as well. I'm not sure yet but I'm a custom sheet metal fabricatior and together welder by trade so I can make that stuff in no time but I'm curious of different styles. Thanks again for all the help

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah you can easily make it yourself, its just a cover up plate that you can make at template using the console. And the block off plate from where stock shifter was is straight forward too.

OP
OP
Danny_svt_99

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Yeah you can easily make it yourself, its just a cover up plate that you can make at template using the console. And the block off plate from where stock shifter was is straight forward too.
Would one of you guys be able to give me measurements on the opening for the shifter? And in the picture if you guys could give me the measurements on the side and the. Also the being of the cut out to the back of the cup holder like I have marked in the picture and then just the overall opening length I don't mean to ask to much it would just be a big help
cff02df6b3c911fbf73024bf244fccc8.jpg