Wheel shopping on Ebay - need opinions

W

Wes8398

Ok, so here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-1...108741429QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290108741429) is what I would really like to get my hands on. Price seems great, shipping is reasonable, and I like the looks of them. I haven't decided what colour to go yet, but that's not my main concern right now...I'll get to that in a sec.
What I mostly wanna hear from you guys is regarding tire width. That auction I linked above is for a 9" front wheel with 245 tires, and a 10" rear wheel with 265's. Does a tire that's only .5" wider than your wheel lead to a more import/ricer look? Or do you think it's ok?
I currently have the stock 97 8" wide wheels with the 245 tires all around, and I like a) the rim protection you get from the wider tire, and b) just the looks of a little "beefier" tire. Should I just stay with a 17" wheel to keep a beefier tire?
If anyone has pics of a 265 wide tire on a 10" wide wheel, or something to that effect, could you post 'em up please? The Ebay store whose auction that is said they'll gladly put together a package with wider tires, but that's gonna cost me. So I wanna know what you guys and gals think.
On the topic of colour, I'm thinking either polished, or black. I think the black would be nice to go with my dark tints, but I might regret not getting something a little more "flashy/fancy", yanno?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
265 on a 10 inch wide wheel is a waste of a 10 inch wide wheel! You will want a 295 or 305 on the rear with 10 inchers.

265 is a good size for the front 9 inch wheel.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Hey man, haven't seen you in a while! Thanks for your opinion. Keep in mind that cost is a big thing for me here too. If money weren't any issue, I'd order something else with rubber in the back as wide as I could go...but I can't afford that. It's a daily driver, and I really don't have the power to warrant a 315 or 305. I'm more worried about the tire looking like shit from a dead-on view of the wheel, because it's too narrow. Hard to explain, but you know how the stock 245's stick out past the lip of the wheel a bit? I think that makes it look a little beefier, and I like that. I don't wanna order these wheels/tires and think they look like they belong on a Civic because there's no tire there...yanno?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
YOU DONT WANT TO RUN TIRES THAT ARE TOO SMALL!!!!!!!!

the recommended tire sizes from manufacturers are 265/35/18 for a 9" wide wheel and 285/35/18 for a 10" wheel.....but IMO i would go with a 295 in th rear.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
285+ on a 10" wheel is perfect man.. i would also go with a 295 if 305-315 is to much...

im running a 245 on my 9" rim because i did not like how wide my old 255's were up front (they would treadline really bad) and im running a 285 on the backs on my 10" rims..

and like dfg said, dont get to small of a tire... its not ricer looking or :rice:, its just plain sick looking with wide tires out back.. 295's are what i would get on those 10" wheels.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

So is there something unsafe about running a 265 on a 10" wheel? I would have to imagine so, if manufacturers recommend a 285 on a 10" wheel. If that's the case, how could this place get away with selling a tire that's no good on that wheel??

Tx - what's treadlining? A 245 on a 9" wheel is about the same as a 265 on a 10" wheel, isn't it? Wouldn't that contradict the post above yours?

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

I know it's possible and it's ideal to have a nice fat tire on a 10" wheel, but I just can't afford to buy or replace 315 tires. Like I said in my last post though; if there is any safety or control issue with those 265's on the 10" wheel, then I will request to have 285's instead. Sounds like 245 on a 9" wheel is pretty normal though, eh? Again, as I said above though, wouldn't a 245 on a 9" wheel be pretty close to a 265 on a 10" wheel? That would lead me to think that if a 245 on a 9 is ok, than so is a 265 on a 10. But I don't know. I'd like to see some pics of a 265 on a 10" tire though, cause I just don't think it would look right. If that were true, I think the same might be true for a 245 on a 9" wheel though.....hmmmmm. lol Who knew there would be so much to think about? :hammer: Oh, and I still don't know what treadlining is.... :dunno:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
how could this place get away with selling a tire that's no good on that wheel??
the same way they get away with selling some of the shittiest tires ever made...if you cant afford to do it right, then don't do it. when you are riding around on ice skates, you will regret buying those wheels with skinny ass tires.

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
I run 335/30s on my 10.5" wheels :dancing6:

A 265 will work, but its going to look terrible and your rim will get destroyed by everything.

I would buy a wheel package separate from the tires and then when you can afford it, get decent tires. Don't cheap out...tires are what connect your car to the road!

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

DFG_Pimpin said:
the same way they get away with selling some of the shittiest tires ever made...if you cant afford to do it right, then don't do it. when you are riding around on ice skates, you will regret buying those wheels with skinny ass tires.

I appreciate your opinion, but where are you getting your info from? Because those exact tires (just smaller) are what I've been driving on for the last year (minus the winter, obviously) and I love 'em. Nexen is a Dunlop company, and have just recently been introduced over here in N. America. I did a LOT of reasearch on the company before I paid the $800 for my 245/45/17 tires. I bought from a well known shop in my area, and they suggested them as a MUCH more fairly priced performance tire. The people at this shop don't screw people around, and I was buying through a company that gives them a LOT of business as well, so they wouldn't have been trying to shaft me. And from about 7 or 8 months of driving with these tires on my car, I can honestly say that they're just as good or better than the Goodyears that were on there when I bought the car. They're quieter, they've barely shown any wear so far, they grip very well, and they look great. I would hardly call them ice skates, although they are a harder compound. I'm not racing or anytihng, and a bit harder compound that offers some more longevity is a fair trade for me.
JonBeast said:
I run 335/30s on my 10.5" wheels :dancing6:

A 265 will work, but its going to look terrible and your rim will get destroyed by everything.

I would buy a wheel package separate from the tires and then when you can afford it, get decent tires. Don't cheap out...tires are what connect your car to the road!
Thanks, and yah, I agree that the wheel will get destroyed. I asked that company (on ebay) about wider tires and they said no problem. So I can still get the same package, just with wider rubber if I want it.
Anyway, I already know I like the tires, and I know I like those wheels. I just don't wanna do anything stupid by putting too skinny of a tire on those rims. I appreciate everyone's help and input. So am I OK to deduce from these comments that a 285 tire on the 10" wheel will be good, and a 245 on the 9" wheel will be good? Or do I need wider up front too?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
sry i forgot about this thread..

you know when you are driving along a road and hit a small groove, sometimes unnoticeable and your car veers? that is treadlining. it mainly has to do with the tread patterns and the maker of the tires i believe. some tires are notorious for it, some aren't. i just got a good deal on 4 245 tires so i bought them and i have 2 backups..

i would do research on those nexens and see the treadlining issue because it seems that with a wider tire, it is worse.. if they have good reviews on treadlining and everything else, i would go with a 255 at the least.. my 245's are a bit skinny on my 9" rim. while they do have a lip, it doesn't sit OVER the tire like it should, it does a bit but its more flush with the lip of the rim instead of sticking over the lip of the rim like the should.. 255's will probably be the optimal size. GL man and hope that helps you out.

Nacho

Reaction score
JonBeast, your car has a FUKIN awesome stance, what wheel/tire combo are you running?

back on topic. when I buy my set of wheels, I'll be getting a 295 on a 9" wheels. Why? Cause I like that bulged look, it looks racey to me. Also, it protects the wheel better. Of course I wouldn't do a 295 on an 8" wheel, but I think it would be perfect on the 9". I'm not a fan of the wheel and tire being even, well at least not in the back. I used to run a 275 on my 8" wheel with no issues.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

You've all been very helpful, thanks a lot guys.
TXcobrA - I know exactly what you're talking about now. My mom used to have a 99 grand am with Goodyears on it that were REALLY bad for treadlining. I just didn't know the term. You'd take off from a light and all of a sudden be 2 lanes over if the road was even somewhat "dipped" from heavy driving.
I haven't noticed any treadlining problems at all with my 245 Nexens (which are the exact same as the ones that come with that Ebay deal). I realize wider will cause more treadlining, but if the 245's don't have that problem, I don't think a 255 would either.
Here's one last question (or bunch of questions) I have for you folks. I'm leaning towards a 255 on the front and 285 on the rear, and they're 18" wheels. What profile should I look for? I have that tire size calculator to tell me how to stay the same diameter, but it seems that most people are still going with 40 or 45 series tires, even when they're 285+ wide. What do you do for your speedo accuracy with that??? Let me guess...tuner? I'm not buying one of those, so I've gotta stay with about a 25.7" tall wheel/tire combo to keep my speed-o in tact. A 285/40/18 would be 27" tall ... hmmm ... that wouldn't be bad, would it? Would my stock tach be off too?

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
ok i know from experience. a 245/45 is too SMALL for a 9in wide wheel. Trust me i know. and you are going to want to go atleast 295+ on a 10" wide wheel. To me a 10in wide wheel is a waste unless your going 315+

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
im running 35's on my sidewalls.. front and back i believe.. id say 35 - 40.. not 45.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
KB said:
ok i know from experience. a 245/45 is too SMALL for a 9in wide wheel. Trust me i know. and you are going to want to go atleast 295+ on a 10" wide wheel. To me a 10in wide wheel is a waste unless your going 315+

what happend with your 245 on a 9"? just wondering cause after i run through this second set of tires, im going to go back to a 255 on the front.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
nothing really i ran them, but they left the edge of the rim exsposed to the road, curbs etc.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Appreciate your input KB, thanks. I realize that a 10" wheel deserves 315's or wider tires, but I'm not in the market for that right now. I'm only getting the 10" wheel because I NEED that deep dish. And I want to bring the wheel/tire out closer to the fender, rather than mess with a 1" or more wheel spacer. The reason why I asked your opinions was because I didn't want to leave the lip of the rim exposed to roads and curbs and so on. If I could go wider, I would. I'll see what the price difference is from 285's to 295's and I'll go from there. If it's nominal, then I'll go 295. If it's a lot, than I'll have to think all this over and decide whether to wait longer, or go for it.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
sounds like a good decision. keep us updated on what the ebayer says.. O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online