Winter Was Harsh

2v_takeover

Reaction score
So long story short, I pay to park my car in an old curling rink but apparently I would have been better off parking it in a field with a tarp over it because of how disgustingly dirty it was when I picked it up. #supersalty. Anyway, here are some pictures of my first clean of the year.

Products : Mothers Gold Car Wash, 2 bucket method /w grit guards
Decon : CarPro IronX, Nanoscrub sponge (fine and medium)
Wheels : Just used some old autoglym wheel cleaner /w various raceglaze brushes
Polish/Pads : Buff and Shine 5'5 microfiber polishing pads, Megs D300 & Megs 205
Tool : Good ol' Porter Cable 7424xp. Used speed 5 for nearly everything, speed 6 was useful on the horizontal/flat surfaces and made short work of the swirls. Keep in mind however, speed 6 seemed to produce quite a bit of dust in comparison to the near non-existent dust on speed 5.
LSP : I topped it with 3 coats of Sonax PNS, which is total overkill, and 2 coats of CG Petes '53

To begin, and to restate, the car was in a p*ss poor state when I picked it up. I'm pretty sure they threw the car outside for a few weeks, which doesn't sound like much but we had a very interesting spring in Sask to say the least.. It was covered in bird poop, tree sap and dust.I must apologize for all the portrait pictures, I'm terrible with phones
3576243261_zpsrgay7i0i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243262_zpszsnbaz6n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243263_zpst87ic5wi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243264_zps0vsj8k5g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243265_zps3bp1lvrw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243267_zpsrkr99ydj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I usually like to start with the wheels, used the AutoGlym wheel stuff and light agitation. I don't love these wheels, nor are they in good condition, but they look much better :)
3576243270_zpsgltmmr59.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, after rinsing a few times to get the bulk of the crap of my car, I started the two bucket method with a good ol' chenille mit and some microfibre cloths.Water shows in the pic that there is nothing left on the paint for protection
3576243274_zpsuwmu5ztz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3576243276_zpslz3h2z8y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After much of the dust/dirt/bird poop/ tree sap etc. was annihilated from my paint, I covered the car in CarPro IronX. This product is famous for turning purple when interacting with iron particles/fallout but my car is purple and was incredible hard to see it work, nonetheless capture on my phone! Anyway, it's a pretty harsh smelling chemical. Would definitely recommend using a mask or do it outside cause it's nasty.
3576243271_zpsfyxp4zlg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I apologize once again, I have no idea how big much stuff I can fit in one post, or should. After the IronX, I began the clay process with a nifty little Nanoscrub Sponge. I decided to give this a try, because I'm pretty clumsy at times and love to drop clay constantly. This little thing is a lot easier to hold on to, and can easily be rinsed/cleaned and reused if dropped! For clay lube, I just used some car wash soap/water to keep it moving.
3576243277_zpsb607ipxa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was considerably cold when I was working on the car, only around 5-7 celsius (Sorry American Overlords). Went inside for a bit just warm up my fingers, obligatory cat pick for points...
3576243280_zpsosjyjsji.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Went back outside, and took a look at my paint. Didn't expect it to be anything other than swirls after the way it was picked up..
3576243281_zpsqbhe3ms8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Sorry for the blur, I'm no photographer and don't pretend to be.
3576243302_zps405u1pk9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A Few random scratches/ rubs
3576243301_zps15efdkc2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Driver fender, near corner lamp
3576243293_zpskj1luqgd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Even some rough taillights
3576243297_zpsr9en8gir.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A Couple crummy 50/50 shots.. taillights camp out alright, I hit them with 205 after the D300 for final clarity, no pic of final but you get the idea..

3576243298_zps8umggvwa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My passenger fender. These always seem to be in pretty rough shape.
3576243289_zpspuxuc72o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A little better
3576243288_zpshwhmheom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nearly everything came out with 1 pass of d300 and final pass of 205. Pretty easy paint/polish and machine to use! Whole care acheived probably 85% which I'm pretty dang happy with. Didn't really take too many after shots, as I find it strange to park somewhere and take pictures of my car..
004_zpsjkv2tk5a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here, coated with the PNS and Pete's '53, don't mind the few petals on the car from the trees.

Thanks for looking. If there are any questions/comments/concerns feel free to post and I'll try to reply clearly.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what... the.... ****! I would go back to that storage facility and raise hell. I could understand some dust if you didn't have it covered, but why would it have ever been exposed to the elements in any way when you're PAYING them to keep it indoors?

OP
OP
2v_takeover

2v_takeover

Reaction score
Needless to say, I will not be paying to park it there again. I have no idea why they would have stuck it outside for what seems a considerable amount of time to collect the crap it did. Then they had the balls to call me to come pick it up, left the office, and left my keys in the gas cap/fill part. Glad this car has a heavy clutch cause it was basically free to anyone who took a look...

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
yeah that shit would not fly with me....do you have to leave the keys with them?!? In my opinion, if you pay to park the car there, it should not move unless you are the one moving it!

Keith5.0

Reaction score
I'm with Vegas... why do they need to move your car from a spot you paid for? I would have to be dead sure I was getting a spot where no one no how for no reason would ever have to move it until I came to pick it up... leaving the keys in the gas door? grounds for an ass whooping in my book.
Anyway, car looks great after your wash, I think with all that film on the paint tho I would've foamed it, twice! lol You definitely know how to get and keep it clean tho so good on you man. Enjoy it this season and look for somewhere else to park her next winter is my vote!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online