wiring aftermarket headunit to mach 460 amps correctly

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
Okay i did that. Now its just louder more clear treble from all four corners.

Tweeters only still. No doors or rear bass

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
yo man, do i have fuses or relays missing here??? haha seems like 1 or 2 are missing maybe:
20140219_204106.jpg

nvm its good according to this :
2009-10-09_223217_4.gif

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
hard to tell it looks like there are two abs fuses missing. Are the stock speakers still in the car? Also look to the right of where the radio would be inside the console and see if there is an 8-pin hrns attached to the inside(pass side) of the console connected to another hrns.

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
I dont have abs. Yes those two factory wide plugs are plugged in off to the right in the radio cavity untouched almost. I just put my test light on the 3 yellow wires at the right rear mach amp and all three yellows light up.... so its getting power right?

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
heres the connectors. they look untouched. what else??
20140219_211203.jpg
aAlso, I checked every fuse in my car with a test light twice. They all illuminate except for power windows... even when switched up or down still doesnt light... but operates. odd? Every other fuse under dash and under hood illuminated.

am I using the right grey wide connector? will the on the grey plug on the right side of the cavity fit the metra 70-5511??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it means the wire has power on it yes. get some tape and insulate all the copper showing. Take that test light and check that the remote turn on from the deck(blue wire) turns on/off with the deck. This is assuming that you do not still have it hooked up to the red ignition wire. Either way really test the blue wire with the deck on(after insulating the bare wire) and make sure it has power on it. I am confused now do we have the speaker wires or the rca's plugged into the stock amp now?

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
this is with still the speaker wires plugged in. but it was the exact same for RCAs, just quieter sounding only treble in tweeters. the blue/white wire coming off my kenwood is amp turn on and illuminates when radio is on. but ignition on works.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
need to backtrack just a tad - stock deck/speakers was in it before all of this and everything worked correctly?

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
it was all in it before from previous owner. however, when i bought the car it had just the factory stereo up top and had no bass then, but there was no cd player connected cause the previous owner said it had been stolen. whatever. i bought the car, installed this kenwood unit 5 years ago and have never had real sound, treble only.

I have never heard the rear bass or door speakers since i have owned this mustang. How do i check if the amps in the rear deck are functioning properly?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get a pic of those wires on the back of the enclosure again. I suspect that he has replaced the speakers but the only way to be fore sure is to take off the door panel or drop the rear enclosure

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
i took the rear mach amp rack off one time when i needed extra trunk clearance for something and i am sure they were mach speakers, they all looked like the ones ive seen on google. ive also had both door panels off and each door speaker is mach as well. although i have never removed any of the speakers from their enclosures to check wiring....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok cool as long as the stock speakers are there I know what we have, just a matter of figuring out what was there before. I didn't sleep at all tues night and finally fell asleep early last night so sorry for being out early last night. Again try and get a pic of the wires on the back of the enclose, trade the wires to see where they go and where they might have went before.

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
Okay will do that in an hour or so. I dont have work until later today.

Im wondering about those two grey connectors behind the drivers i
Side door kick plate... wonder if those are attached.... they should be because my test light illuminated when i touches the yellow wires at the rear mach amps. Nvm

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was not aware of any wires in the kick panel till now. get a pic of them too. It could be the speaker wire that goes into the door for the woofer.

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
i just barely was able to get my hand back there and the connectors are connected.... i really dont understand this....

i mean short of unscrewing the amps and disconnecting them and opening them up... how do i check the amps are actually good... because there is power to them.

im going to check the ground to the rear deck. The ground to the amps is g403 located behind the trim panel lh side rear.

120598d1374851867-forumrunner_20130726_111847.png

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
for any other amp I would confirm there is an input, power, and then confirm there is an output. All the ways I normally do this though are not really an option here since the ways I normally connect to do this is not really available.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it to test speakers/test impedance(ohms)? That 8 pin hrns that I had you find next to the radio - one side goes to the speakers, the other side to the amps. We can disconnect those hrns's and test the impedance(ohms) at that hrns to confirm you speakers are good. If you have a small bookshelf speaker we could also test the amps output there as well.

OP
OP
N

ndfrspd

Reaction score
i dont have a multi-meter... ill get one though. i may be a bit rusty but i took a basic circuit analysis course at purdue, i might remember how to use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online