Yet another termin swap power rack..but different!!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ok since most forum post are at least some years old, I was wondering what you guys think and say from experience.

Ok my R&P from my 94 gt is going poop (it has some play on it), so its time to replace it. Now I want a 03/04 rack swap into my 94. I plan on getting a solid steering shaft, and going with some 275's in the front eventually. I want a better feel for the steering than what is offered, and the better valving is suited for the wider tires. I already know about the difference and blah blah. Thats not what im asking :p. As far as QUALITY, which is the one i should go with? It seems like in time, quality of the projects go down. And some manufactures do not put the correct internals in their products. I will not buy a used one (except for reman.) Here are my choices. I havent read anything about masterpro, but since its the cheapest, Im hesitate. And AGR has mixed reviews.

masterpro 101-0231 from oreilley $189 with $55 core with tie rods. (lifetime warranty)
AGR 715583 from summit $312 (which comes with urethane bushings. and tie rods.)
cardone from advance auto (222-2000) $141 with $55 core with tie rods. (SPR-ZM casting number, has one bad review)
cardone from advance auto (22-238) $189 + $90 core. (one good review, SPR-ZK casting number)

is AGR really worth the extra money?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did a lot of research into this last year and the same conclusion kept coming up, nobody could guarantee that these racks were legitimate and had inside what they claimed to have. If I could know 100% for sure I would have went with the company that had the 00R spec rack.

I ended up finding an extremely low mile 04 Cobra rack on CL locally for $100 from a guy who turned his Termi into a drag car project.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
dammmmmmmmm....thats what i didnt want to do, but if i have to i will.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
some guy on facebook is selling me his cobra rack and upr bumpsteer for 300. so i jump on it? he said he is swapping his motor out so the R&P wont work. The rack is out. what can i have him do to make sure it isnt bad? THe rack came has 18k on it from a termin.

JKady

Reaction score
Basically as long as it moves free and isn't leaking there's a good chance it's just fine.

So I'm gathering that aftermarket racks having the Cobra valving is questionable? That's lame I was planning on doing the swap since mine leaks and needs bushings/Inner TRE's/boots anyway.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like that great of a deal. I usually see the Cobra racks sell for @200 in good shape and I avoid anything UPR like the plague.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
OEM if you can. That's the one I'm running. I didn't bother with remanufactured racks, because god knows what you get in those, and there is so much bad stuff about AGR online, I just didn't see the point in taking that risk. I got mine off ebay for 160 shipped.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
is there anyway i can get the internals only? I can rebuilt it myself and but i just need to get the internals.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
ReplicaR, I noticed in another thread you mentioned you had an AGR unit. Did you swap it out?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like that great of a deal. I usually see the Cobra racks sell for @200 in good shape and I avoid anything UPR like the plague.

Yea upr upr is complete shit meanwhile they hold the 275 radial record with like 4.1 in the 1/8th with 1.003 60ft with stock style rear suspension . They clearly don't know what they're doing lol .

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea upr upr is complete shit meanwhile they hold the 275 radial record with like 4.1 in the 1/8th with 1.003 60ft with stock style rear suspension . They clearly don't know what they're doing lol .

What does that have to do with their mass produced made in China parts that they sell? Wait you don't actually think those parts are on that car....

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
What does that have to do with their mass produced made in China parts that they sell? Wait you don't actually think those parts are on that car....

Lol they are its a upr sponsored car lol . The terminator dick riders are just as bad as the maximum motorsports ones .

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So if someone wants a part off a Terminator because it is a better design to what came on their car they are a dick rider...ok if you say so.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
What does swapping a terminator steering rack get you? Its better/different then the gt?

The difference is just better/bigger valving and a bigger torsion bar, the steering ratio is still the same, it has a better "race" feel, and it lock to lock is less due to the factory stops it has for the wider front wheels, it is to prevent rubbing from the wheel to the suspension compoments. It doesnt necessarily steer better or faster, but has better internals. and it feels better...yaaaaa...feels better.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks. any difference if your not running power steering? I am thinking about ditching mine and I have heard some have better ratio's for it.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. any difference if your not running power steering? I am thinking about ditching mine and I have heard some have better ratio's for it.

well for one you cant use a termin steering rack, youll have to go to like flaming river or something. and manual steering is going to have the best feeling as far as "race". but the steering ratio is the same as powering steering. I dont know bout the valving or torsion bar. And i think its more steering wheel travel lock to lock

assuming all racks are 15:1 (which is factory "quick ratio", standard are 20:1 which are only in lower power stangs like v6 or the 4 bangers, and on the early fox chassis)

Manual quick ratio is approx 3.3 turns lock to lock
Power factory quick ratio is approx 2.5
aftermarket/terminator power rack is approx 2.25

JKady

Reaction score
well for one you cant use a termin steering rack, youll have to go to like flaming river or something. and manual steering is going to have the best feeling as far as "race". but the steering ratio is the same as powering steering. I dont know bout the valving or torsion bar. And i think its more steering wheel travel lock to lock
You could loop the lines on a termi rack the same way you do anything else and run it that way but I doubt it would feel any different. The difference in them is the valving for the power steering basically gives less assist which gives you better feel. But, if you're swapping racks anyhow a real manual rack would be the way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.