04 terminator swap

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay everyone.

Im in the process of buying a 2004 terminator motor. (its still in the original car, so thats why its a "process.")

Its a complete motor from teh oil-pan to the blower. It comes with an aftermarket heat-echanger, aftermarket resevior (sp?,) steeda CAI, diablo sport hand-held.

I already have an 03 cobra gas tank.

I called my tuner and he told me that he "highly suggests" getting an 04 terminator wiring harness and ECU. So, i plan on getting those.

my question: what else do i need to make the computer components function properly? I wont be doing the fuel system work or the computer work; it will be done by a professional shop (so no worries about me fuggin' it up.) I just need to buy everything so they can put it together properly.

Will i need a new tranny harness? or a stand alone? or something stupid like that? or JUST the 04 computer and ECU and the tuning shop can take it from there?

also, what other fuel components will i need? i have the gas tank assembly and now the motor (rails and injectors.)
I've done quite a bit of research on the termi swap, but outside of "then i put in the computer" alot of threads dont tell me what the "computer consists" of. or "i used these FRPP parts".... and sadly forums is where you have to get alot of this information due to the fact that ford never released a book like: "How to make your shizzy NPI good: the termi swap." ....

anyways, "thanks for all your help" in advance! and also: "lol, you're funny" at all the flamers in advance....

:eek:ccasion14:

switch96

Reaction score
I don't know much about these swaps, but I'm definitely jealous. Are you getting the T-56 too?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no. right now im talking to JR (via PMs lol) about my options. he says the T45 in there stock will soon become dust-in-the-wind... i just want it to survive the day on the dyno.... then i can baby it on the street until i have more money...

i have everything for the swap with the exception of the computer junk. the tuner said its not 100% mandatory but it will save me money on the dyno, make it more streetable, and more reliable...

so... yea. lol

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You don't need to do anything regarding the trans, except let them figure out how to deal with the VSS difference. I would do it via extended range speedcal.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
buy a speedcal? is that what i read out of all that mumbo jumbo you posted JR? lol.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Naw, just get the harness and ECU and let them decide how they are going to deal with the fact that the VSS is different.

It means you're going to either sacrifice your dash or part of the harness is going to be spliced, because 99-up stuff is different.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so, just buy the ECU and engine harness? and let them do it? sounds like a plan to me. lol.

also, i might pick up the speedcal anyways because i have 4.1s and my speedo is off.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
so, just buy the ECU and engine harness? and let them do it? sounds like a plan to me. lol.

also, i might pick up the speedcal anyways because i have 4.1s and my speedo is off.

If you go to an entirely 99-up harness, as in, with a 99-up dash also, they will be able to correct the speedo in the tune.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
99-up "dash" meaning an electronic speedo, full interior harnesses as well?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't tell you what's required for a dash swap, i know they physically interchange just dandy, but I couldn't put a bullit or Mach dash in my SN because of the electronic speedo on the newer car's, they use a different VSS, which is why you need the Extended range speedcal to swap the newer transmissions back to an SN.

I honestly have no idea why they want to swap the harness really, it would be alot easier to use the existing one.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea? maybe they jsut want to nickel and dime me?

do the 04 termi motors have sensors (MAP, for example) that the 96 GT didnt come with that they feel will increase reliability?

what is VSS? vehicle speed sensor? on the top of the tranny?

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think ur trans will be fine for a while. my stock t45 is doing okay with 550 at the tires so i dunno.

MustangChris said:
no. right now im talking to JR (via PMs lol) about my options. he says the T45 in there stock will soon become dust-in-the-wind... i just want it to survive the day on the dyno.... then i can baby it on the street until i have more money...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:

do the 04 termi motors have sensors (MAP, for example) that the 96 GT didnt come with that they feel will increase reliability?

VSS=Vehicle speed sensor, correct.

As far as extra sensor, they actually had one less coolant sensor. They also have coil on plug ignition instead of packs, and pile of other, goofy little differences.

As far as reliability, no, they aren't more reliable. It would be easier for them to "TUNE" since, they don't actually have to tune anything at all, just hook it all up, lol. But your factory ECU is totally capable of runing even a modded Terminator motr just dandy.

Again, I don't know why they want to do it that way, but there's alot of swap info over at Modularfords in the swap section, you can see various way's people have done thing's.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
96_SVT_Cobra said:
i think ur trans will be fine for a while. my stock t45 is doing okay with 550 at the tires so i dunno.

MustangChris said:

excellant!!! thats waht i wanted to hear. lol. i just need it to get me to-and-from work. lol.

J.R. said:
MustangChris said:

VSS=Vehicle speed sensor, correct.

As far as extra sensor, they actually had one less coolant sensor. They also have coil on plug ignition instead of packs, and pile of other, goofy little differences.

As far as reliability, no, they aren't more reliable. It would be easier for them to "TUNE" since, they don't actually have to tune anything at all, just hook it all up, lol. But your factory ECU is totally capable of runing even a modded Terminator motr just dandy.

Again, I don't know why they want to do it that way, but there's alot of swap info over at Modularfords in the swap section, you can see various way's people have done thing's.

gotcha... theres nothing special regarding the blower, or anything? just minor junk?
ill spend the evening on modular fords, many thanks for the resource!

KWClutch

Reaction score
I'd get the T-56. Your gauges will not work but you don't have to change your dash. You can splice the 03 dash harness and an 03 cobra cluster for your gauges to work.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
KWClutch said:
I'd get the T-56. Your gauges will not work but you don't have to change your dash. You can splice the 03 dash harness and an 03 cobra cluster for your gauges to work.

wait. wait... what? lol.

i plan on getting the T56, eventually. lol.

if i get a terminator dash harness (full harness: dash, engine, ECU) and a terminator gauge cluster, will it all function okay??

im starting to get even more confused... wiring and computer crap is worse than suspension work!!!

KWClutch

Reaction score
Yes the wiring is by far the worst part of this swap. I had the motor and everything in in about 2 weeks. The wiring took me a month. You'll need the Engine harness, ECM harness, dash harness and 03 Cluster if you want to have a speedo and rpm gauge. Unless you know how to bypass the ECM which I guess you can do. The 98 cluster is a mechanical one. The 03 is digital. Also, you'll need to turn off the PATS system for it to even run. It's a pretty extensive swap but you're started in the right direction.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
(Thanks everyone for the help!!!)

okay. could you help me out with a more extensive shopping list, please?
im not bypassing anything. lol. my tuning shop is. :p im not going to touch the fuel or wiring.

anyways:
engine harness (already got a good lead)
ECM harness (what is that?)
dash harness (got another good lead)
03/04 cluster (gunna have to start a search on that)
PATS system??? (can my diablo sport tuner/sct livewire do this? i assume the tune shop can do it)

anything else??

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
i have no helpful input on the topic but i would like to say the termy swap will be badass in your car chris, now just get rid of the 16 inch wheels and the gold strips on the side :tongue3:

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol, the stripes will be gone shortly after the termi swap because i plan on swapping my hood at the same time...

mirrors, hood, stripes, and motor. all at the same time. lol.

also, the 16s are staying where they are. lol. :-D new wheel spacers might be in line tho.

.. . .. annnnnd lastly, thanks for the compliments! :) im looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online