1965 4v twin turbo Falcon

Doodler

Reaction score
Hi,
Figured I'd might as well start a build thread for my Falcon. I bought this car when I was 15 and restored it while limping a half finished car to school everyday. I'd work on it until late at night and every morning I'd rush to put it back together enough to get to school. Once I went to college, it got thrown on wheel dollies, spun sideways and shoved to the back of the garage with a car cover at my parents house.

Fast forward 20 years. I decided to pull it out and finally build it how I always wanted to but could never afford it on the minimum wage after school jobs.

This is the first time the car saw the light of day in 2 decades.

I didn't like how the bumpers felt tacked on. So I sectioned both sides 1" and tucked them into the side of the fenders.

Not going to have a front plate. So I cut it out, sectioned the opening and am going to build a spot for a couple of foglights.

The factory unibody frame not going to be a good idea. So I put the car on a rotisserie and pulled it all along with all the wiring, brake lines, etc. A friend owns a chassis shop. So I bought it over to his shop where we could put it on a chassis table and build something MUCH better. So to get it there, I had to build a makeshift chassis out of 4x4s and caster wheels.

Stripping the car down. Making sure its extremely straight.

Loading it on the trailer.

OP
OP
D

Doodler

Reaction score
AT THE CHASSIS SHOP:

The car on the chassis table.

Full length tube chassis.

Mustang II front end

In order to have enough room, we recessed the firewall 2". Test fitting the 4v 4.6

Tin work all done.

First time on the ground with the new chassis

On it's way back home.

OP
OP
D

Doodler

Reaction score
BACK AT HOME.

I want a race car disguised as a street car. I also want all of the creature comforts. So the car will be getting a full interior. Interior sprayed with Lizard Skin.

I was going to retro fit a 2010 interior into the car as much as possible. Being plastic though, it wasn't going to very easy to modify parts to fit.

So I decided to make fiberglass panels and have them leather wrapped. First plan was to use foam insulation panels and carve them out. Since resin eats a way at this type of foam, I planned on wrapping it all in plastic first. The problem was that the plastic would pull up every time I tried to brush resin on. These are the panels pre-shaped.

I decided to use 2 part foam. It won't get eaten by resin and it'll allow be to fit the pieces a little better.

So I lined the whole area with plastic and made cardboard block off panels.

Foam poured in. The stuff sets really fast. So I did it in 4 parts.

First initial cut

Shaping with air sanders. Still really roughed in. I figure the back should take 4 pieces to fit around the roll cage.

RichV

Reaction score
Wow, very cool build. So what's the point of all the foam? You're cutting out a rear seat out of it? Just for looks? Or some sort of function?

OP
OP
D

Doodler

Reaction score
I see the falcon part... Where is the twin turbo part?

Twin turbo part isn't on the car yet. I want to have the motor and trans built first so I can minimize the amount of times it has to come out. Even with all the work done to the front, the 4v 4.6s are crazy tight. It's as wide as the 460 that was originally going to go in there. Although we did set the motor pretty far down in the cradle to try and help with handling.

OP
OP
D

Doodler

Reaction score
Wow, very cool build. So what's the point of all the foam? You're cutting out a rear seat out of it? Just for looks? Or some sort of function?

Making a mold with foam. Then glass it.

Exactly. I'm building it mainly to cover where the seat would have been so it has a more finished look. the 4-link extends so far into the car that I only have 20" of depth. So basically worthless. So I'm going to build a sort of speedster style cover.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
If you have any plans for audio equipment, incorporating it into the foam at this stage would be easier than adding it later.

And yeah, those 4v motors are not small, at all.

OP
OP
D

Doodler

Reaction score
If you have any plans for audio equipment, incorporating it into the foam at this stage would be easier than adding it later.

And yeah, those 4v motors are not small, at all.

I'm hopefully going to have the side panels foamed and shaped this weekend. Already have the speakers so I know the exact space I need. This way it should look more integrated. :wink:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online