2v budget build.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just fly cut the pistons. The "techs" over at modular head shop are a bunch of asshats. If I can avoid them, I do.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or come over and get the right valves I have for them. The stock "Fat Lip" ones are too heavy and bent now from hitting the pistons.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Then he should switch to the 90 pound springs, get the pistons cut, straighten out the valves and re-lap the seats.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I agree, should have valve reliefed the pistons!

Anyone reading this....NOTE TO SELF!

When involving pi heads......valve relief the pistons!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its not the amount of the dish size or how deep they are it is how close the rim of the piston is to the valve and must be checked. It is easy to do, and after the first time you will start doing it to check all manor of things. Look at the rim clay in this pic, the dish depth measurement means nothing, the rim crush is much thinner and this is where the valve will hit the piston. DO NOT HOPE OR GUESS or believe what anyone says including me.. check, check, check. Half of my rebuilds were just checking things out, the other half were stupid mistakes and crappy parts from Ebay.
IMG_0716-D.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ he is OLD for a reason!

Fo real tho.....should you be using stock thickness gaskets and no big amounts of machining, the pistons require valve reliefs at minimum .060" deep for any shelf cam. Take materials out elsewhere, add to the depth of relief. Add to piston thickness, add depth.

So if you deck .040" from the head, used stock thickness headgaskets, mill .010 off the block and used stock pistons....the relief depth should be .110" deep....but like my good friend OLD H2S stated....dont assume.....check it!

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well for the time being swapped new cams into the other set of stock pi heads that I have.
Don’t think I did quiet the amount of research that I thought I did running into several differences between the V8 and the V6
Which means more money and more time [emoji849]
Will need a new brake booster (I’m told I might have to change my pedal assembly) need a new throttle cable from a GT...V6 is too long
The fuel rail does not appear to be a stock one from an sn95 it is oem ford but doesn’t match what I see online and in my ALL DATA
Need both coolant and power steering reservoirs and I’m hoping that’s it for now...oh and a clutch since mine has mysteriously disappeared around the shop
But the motor is at least finally in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well thought I was getting closer to being done yet every step I take seems like I get knocked back 5 steps there is just too much to change over from the V6 to the V8 running out of time since the car is at my job and they are done with having it rolling around there
So I’m really contemplating looking for a gt with a blown motor and just swapping everything I’ve done in.
Hate to give up but just might be one of those V6 swaps that never pull threw.
I know most projects you spend more then u plan for but the numbers are getting way to high to deal with right now......
just thinking I’m in over my head here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.