2v budget build.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Just saying here,
Pi heads already are 3angle valve seat. You can save money by buying a hand lapping stick and lapping compound at the parts house, lap the valves yourself.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
What made you use the windsor heads over the romeo heads.

Honestly just knowing that these are indeed off of a mustang. Also after stopping by Old H2S house the other night and inspecting them over he was saying that these heads had better engineering to them (I think if I remember correctly)
i forgot to ask you tho....why would you run the romeo heads over the windsor?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Probably valve cover selection. That would be my guess. Dont fret tho...alot of trucks had windsor heads, so valve cover are a plenty.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Cam cover option is a big one. The other is the girdles across the cam journals. I like the girdles vs the individual caps, seems like it would be more stable under high rpm conditions. Head gaskets are another thing, the oil port on the romeo heads is round vs the triangle shape oil port on the windsor heads. You have to be careful with head gasket selection when you use the windsor heads. I found that out the hard way.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
quick question when disassembling the cylinder heads...how much of the stuff is reusable? I did not keep my valves in order when I removed them so Ive been told that I am going to have to replace them, but what about the valve guide seals? the rocker heads?
Funds are getting tight once again especially with the holidays so have to start looking at what I can re-use if anything...
Thanks in advance

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
quick question when disassembling the cylinder heads...how much of the stuff is reusable? I did not keep my valves in order when I removed them so Ive been told that I am going to have to replace them, but what about the valve guide seals? the rocker heads?
Funds are getting tight once again especially with the holidays so have to start looking at what I can re-use if anything...
Thanks in advance

The valves can be reused, you have to lap them in. Just get a manual valve lapping tool (suction cup on a stick), and some valve grinding compound. Its very easy to do it. Im sure there are videos on you tube.

I would install new valve seals.

Rocker arms (cam followers) can be installed in any location.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
The valves can be reused, you have to lap them in. Just get a manual valve lapping tool (suction cup on a stick), and some valve grinding compound. Its very easy to do it. Im sure there are videos on you tube.

I would install new valve seals.

Rocker arms (cam followers) can be installed in any location.

So as long as I “lap†the valves back in they can be re installed in any order?

Valve seals are not that bad on price so I don’t mind getting that anything else I should be looking into while I’m here?

I have not got the inserts for the spark plug threads yet but they’re on the list lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So as long as I “lap” the valves back in they can be re installed in any order?

Valve seals are not that bad on price so I don’t mind getting that anything else I should be looking into while I’m here?

I have not got the inserts for the spark plug threads yet but they’re on the list lol

Yes, lapping the valves will allow you to move them around. Even if you bought new valves, they would need to to be lapped in. After you lap them, they are then married to that hole.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
So the heads are now bare finally good news is they cleaned up pretty nice and are ready for machining
Bad news (or at least I think could be bad) are some of these valves look a little rough [emoji19]
c01750228f62e4297ca610a2efa854bd.jpg

6d58efe4c7fbc213de6f3f7d6c8e1c6b.jpg

I’m going to finish cleaning them all up and see how many of them end up looking like this.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Actually the valves look good. Yea, sure they were carbon'd up a little, but thats normal.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well a few brass wire wheels later the Windsor heads are ready to be sent off to the machine shop
fadc2777728194bf4063e7c2435492dc.jpg

7c2b3d7d15150e13635c51d8ad6054e0.jpg

6d49916a812a2e23f5be44e7c283dae2.jpg

Hopefully all will come back with good news sending them in to be checked over and get a estimate on have them decked.

Now I’ve got to find something to do in my down time [emoji854].

Any suggestions or tips of anything I can do to pre pair myself for the swap?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Buy lots of beer, shop towels, beer, suck up to friends now so they’ll be more willing to help, buy more beer..........

Did I mention you’ll need lots of beer????

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long.....got the call in this morning from the machine shop and the heads check out good.....even got an "at-a-boy for me cleaning I did which saved me a few pennies....(now only if they would offer me a job at a performance shop:grin:)

so as it follows it is gonna cost $150 for them to make a skim pass across them or the will deck it what ever spec I would like so I am thinking of going with "OLD H2S" original suggestion and get the heads decked (60,000ths)

Then they are saying that need my valves to ensure everything lines up properly, and from there it would be another $200 to reassemble everything....have not done any searching around on pricing yet but that seems to be reasonable
and once I bring it all in im looking at two day turn around.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The intake valve seats can be opened up a little more with a simple valve job. Let them go ahead and perform a valve job and be sure they know the seat I.D. be can opened .050".

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
He wants a Comp Cams 262, but that does not have the thump/lope he wants. How big can he go? He has a nPi block with -12cc pistons with a deck of -.012 and a Ford .036 head gasket. PI 41cc heads is going to come in at 10.345:1

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
With stock vslves, the 262 is about it. Heck, grab a dremel tool and relief the piston for clearance. Its really not all that much material and wont cause any problems.

Then he'll be able to get more thump!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How much to deck the head? PI valves are ugly with the huge "tumble lips" getting in the way. I could cut down the lips for him.

OP
OP
pgfdv6

pgfdv6

Reaction score
He wants a Comp Cams 262, but that does not have the thump/lope he wants. How big can he go? He has a nPi block with -12cc pistons with a deck of -.012 and a Ford .036 head gasket. PI 41cc heads is going to come in at 10.345:1

I’m ok with a 262 or a 268.... although I’m wondering if I go with the 262 could I use the stock 90 lb spring that I have now or would I have to upgrade to a heavier spring? I know I have to upgrade if I go with the 268

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online