3v discussions

FUK_N_JUNK

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
FUK_N_JUNK said:
OK, so how about swapping a 4V 98 Head into my 96 GT.. I can get the heads dirt cheap, how much of a PITA is it to do over a PI swap?

I'll put it this way... get a complete cobra or mark 8 motor and go from there.
Well, I got a complete mark 8 motor, so i guess I just need the cobra intake then???

I'm planning on going S/C here soon, so the compression is a plus....

Whistler98

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
2V high horsepower are rare, and thats why im building a killer 2V. :D

It depends on what you consider high horsepower...
There is atleast 10 guys in my imediate area with 500rwhp 2V's...thats more then enough for street cars.

I know that 500rwhp in an sn95 car will be faster than any of the newer cars having the same rwhp, because of the weight diff. The newer cars like the new camaro and challenger are expected to be just as heavy if not heavier than the s197's.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Whistler98 said:
DropTopPony said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
2V high horsepower are rare, and thats why im building a killer 2V. :D

It depends on what you consider high horsepower...
There is atleast 10 guys in my imediate area with 500rwhp 2V's...thats more then enough for street cars.

I know that 500rwhp in an sn95 car will be faster than any of the newer cars having the same rwhp, because of the weight diff. The newer cars like the new camaro and challenger are expected to be just as heavy if not heavier than the s197's.

Yea imagine 500 in a fox lol :)

voidfinger

Reaction score
FUK_N_JUNK said:
voidfinger said:
FUK_N_JUNK said:
OK, so how about swapping a 4V 98 Head into my 96 GT.. I can get the heads dirt cheap, how much of a PITA is it to do over a PI swap?

Well, I got a complete mark 8 motor, so i guess I just need the cobra intake then???

well if you want to supercharge i would get forged pistons and rods... but i've heard the 10:1 cr is good on the cobra with a supercharger up to like 14 or so psi... said the chamber shape hold detonation at bay. :)

OP
OP
T

tooslow

Reaction score
yeah. the chamber of 4v heads promote a more effecient burn. less likely to detonate. 3v heads are the same way. there are s197 guys running 500-550rwhp or higher somewhat reliably on 3v engines with the same internals that take a dump at 450rwhp on 2v cars.

FUK_N_JUNK

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
FUK_N_JUNK said:
voidfinger said:
FUK_N_JUNK said:

well if you want to supercharge i would get forged pistons and rods... but i've heard the 10:1 cr is good on the cobra with a supercharger up to like 14 or so psi... said the chamber shape hold detonation at bay. :)

Yes, I am most likely going to get a MMR Rotation assembly, then have the heads P/P, and the Kenne Bell on top w/Aeromotive fuel system. That is my plans over the winter.

voidfinger

Reaction score
sweet, i wish i had the cha ching to do that kinda stuff in one season lol.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I can say for a fact that if swapping 3v heads becomes more readily available and is basically like a pi headswap, I would do it.

I want to do a pi headswap eventually but if 3v is just as easy I would definately go with the 3v.

cheddar

Reaction score
i have been planning the 3V for next summer for the last couple moneths hopefully i can find a crashed one in a local auito wreckers and just swap the whole motor in as one and build one fast SN3V

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
General feeling on this is why go to the trouble to do a 3v when you can go ahead with the 4v :dunno: :dunno: unless you just want to be diffrent from the pack .

cheddar

Reaction score
thats basically the whole reasoning behind it is i just want to do somethign different there are tons of cobra's around where i am from so i just want2 be different from the norm

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
If the 3v swap was easier,cheaper, and more convenient than a 4v swap.

Those new 3v motors seem to make great power with bolt ons. Hell, ive seen people dyno almost 300rwhp with a intake and a tune. I would imagine with long tubes and a set of cams you could be over 350 rwhp.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
A 3v you can get for under 1k, the swap compenent's cost 3 or 4 hundred (I forget), and another 3-4 hundred to tune.... It's definately on par with a 4v swap cost wise, and the easy to swap 4v's (Mark VIII, 96-98 Cobra) are becoming more rare and higher mileage.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
A 3v you can get for under 1k, the swap compenent's cost 3 or 4 hundred (I forget), and another 3-4 hundred to tune.... It's definately on par with a 4v swap cost wise, and the easy to swap 4v's (Mark VIII, 96-98 Cobra) are becoming more rare and higher mileage.

Rare? how so? just wondering

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The Cobra motors are getting rare, people are holding onto them, aware of what they have, attrition is making the Mark VIII motos more common actually, b ut those are probably as a rule not as well cared for, and definately high enough milegae that they need a rebuild.

voidfinger

Reaction score
attrition.. big word that i don't understand... lol I am looking for a mark motor though

cheddar

Reaction score
i am talking to my tuner right now and will be starting the 3V swap in my 96GT around april so if no one else is done i will take as many pics as i can and keep everyone up to date.

If anyone else does this swap first make sure you take tons of pics