4v heads + 383motor = B.S.?????

josh0092002

Reaction score
quick question i was told today that 4v heads from a 99cobra will fit on a 383 motor???? just wanting to know if the redneck was telling the truth or just trying to look like he knew something????

95PGTTech

Reaction score
the only 383 I have ever heard of is a stroked LSX series motor, LT1, SBC derivative, etc. It's not a popular ford windsor stroker. even so, if someone punched out a sbf, there is no way 4v dohc heads are bolting up to it correctly, period. for one giant issue, what are you going to do with the distributor?

he couldn't have possibly been talking about a worked 5.4 either, that's still about 50 cubic inches shy of this 383.

possible he's a real dumb fuck and was talking about very old ford 427 single overhead cam motors, those were four valve per cylinder, but that's still not anywhere close to a 383 or anywhere close to bolting up on one.

BigTang

Reaction score
how do you confuse a redneck?

you make a 32 valve set up that uses push rods..thats how:
chvy_smb_lg.jpg

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
josh0092002 said:
quick question i was told today that 4v heads from a 99cobra will fit on a 383 motor???? just wanting to know if the redneck was telling the truth or just trying to look like he knew something????

There's avarious way's that can happen, but he was just being a jackass and probably has an all edelbrock motor himself.

BigTang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
josh0092002 said:

There's avarious way's that can happen, but he was just being a jackass and probably has an all edelbrock motor himself.

don't knock the edelbrock elite valve covers until you try them....probably just a magazine racer, like that moron that was telling me that all real 69 z28's had the hemi heads after they ran an article on the smokey yunick prototype car.

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
well according to this guy, he has a Chevy 383 motor that is going into his 99 cobra. i wont dog him for that, u know to each his own. but when he told me that he was bolting up the 4v heads to that motor, i new something was wrong. they just can simply work/fit. at least to my knowledge. an he was dead serious about those heads fitting that motor like he was about to get all mad an shit, just cause i said i didnt think they would work/fit.

BigTang

Reaction score
J.R. said:
He doesn't even own a Cobra. Let alone have a 383 for it.

yeah he does. I've met that guy, we all have. He's the guy that swears that the 3/4 race cam and a set of zoomies will put any rwd car from 64-72 solidly in the 12s on factory tires.

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
ive seen the car, an i knew the guy that owned it before him. the car is about ragged out, the only thing modded on the car is 03 cobra front an rear bumper an spoiler. i just really dont like to see people own cool stuff an dont know shit about it, u know... :angry7:

95PGTTech

Reaction score
josh0092002 said:
well according to this guy, he has a Chevy 383 motor that is going into his 99 cobra. i wont dog him for that, u know to each his own. but when he told me that he was bolting up the 4v heads to that motor, i new something was wrong. they just can simply work/fit. at least to my knowledge. an he was dead serious about those heads fitting that motor like he was about to get all mad an shit, just cause i said i didnt think they would work/fit.

now that is a certain possibility - I've done a lot of research into LS1 swapping my Cobra after blowing the motor and the prices versus rebuilding the stock one - it's practically a drop in affair with some parts from kooks and AJE. a 383 is a very common LS stroker displacement.

the 99 cobra 4V heads are certainly NOT going to bolt up to an LS1, even with some very talented and machine work

OP
OP
J

josh0092002

Reaction score
well the 383motor swap i wasn't doubting, hell u can swap any motor into any car with enough mods. but i sure that the 4v heads just would not fit the 383 chevy

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
Arrrrggg thats so dumb, never put a Chevy motor in a Ford especially an SVT Cobra. Who cares if it's a 383 stroker, but 4 valve heads aren't going to fit on that bored 350 block. Duhr, I think I'm going to put my firebirds 350 in teh my dads SVT Cobra.... duuuhhhrr 350s way bigger than 281 cubic inches, so using my highly techniKal MADD Skillzzz I'm goin to put dis heruh GM motor in this Ford..... Hope my dad don't shoot me.

BigTang

Reaction score
how is any swap dumb? i can make a 383 make more power NA than I can a 281 4v make NA for much much cheaper.
given this red neck its probably a 305 from a van, but seriously, i wouldn't dog any swap until i see it run.
I sold a 97 4v w/ ported heads, custom erson cams, je pistons and an s-trim a few years back because it topped out at 600 rwhp, we just couldn't push it any more. i sold the car to a friend and then we swapped a built 406 w/ bowtie heads and custom sheet metal intake into it and he spent about what i had in the engine and made close to 700. car could have been a total sleeper had it not been for the intake.
i sold that entire engine on corral for $3k just because i was sick of looking at it.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
I could swap my turbo 400 automatic and 350 from my 1969 firebird into my 1995 gt, or I could buy any chevy engine I wanted to put into any of my cars... Doesn't matter. The only problem is that it's just plain wrong.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Mr.Bolt-on said:
Arrrrggg thats so dumb, never put a Chevy motor in a Ford especially an SVT Cobra. Who cares if it's a 383 stroker, but 4 valve heads aren't going to fit on that bored 350 block. Duhr, I think I'm going to put my firebirds 350 in teh my dads SVT Cobra.... duuuhhhrr 350s way bigger than 281 cubic inches, so using my highly techniKal MADD Skillzzz I'm goin to put dis heruh GM motor in this Ford..... Hope my dad don't shoot me.

I am doing the LS1 swap mostly just to annoy guys just like you. The LS1 is actually the motor on the market right now and chock full of a lot of technology we don't enjoy on B headed Cobras.

BigTang

Reaction score
Mr.Bolt-on said:
I could swap my turbo 400 automatic and 350 from my 1969 firebird into my 1995 gt, or I could buy any chevy engine I wanted to put into any of my cars... Doesn't matter. The only problem is that it's just plain wrong.

So does that 69 Pontiac have a SBC in it or does it still have the Pontiac 350?
how is it wrong to put the best on the market in to the chassis of your choice? I'm helping a friend put a toyota v8 in a 32 roadster, should we be on the look out for the Proper Police?

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
The 69 Pontiac still has the Pontiac Engine, and no it wouldn't bother me to put a Chevrolet 383 stroker in it, which was what I was planning on doing anyways, but I can get a stroker kit for the Pontiac engine for $1200 dollahs. When all the porting, polishing, and stroking is all said and done... It will probably cost somewhere around $3500 dollahs.

A 32 roadster is different, many people have been putting small block chevys in them for years. Does this bother me?? Somewhat, because you loose the GM vs Ford rivalry. You mesh 2 opposing companies into one vehicle. You just loose the pride of beating the other company thats all. Putting a GM motor into a Ford is just sucking up to GM, thats it, and you can push a 4.6 way farther than 600hp. Alas, a 32 roadster is a HotRod, and I would expect to see some company mixing in the process. No, I personally wouldn't ever put a toy' motor in a 32 roadster, but you can do what you like. I'm not against imports, heck if you want to talk going fast cheap I'd just buy a sport bike and forget about it.

I had a friend that built a 69 Nova, and put a 800hp 502 FORD engine in it. The car ran 8's in the quarter mile. Awesome it was, but I personally was not fond of the GM+Ford mesh. A pontiac is a GM, a chevrolet is a GM, so engine swaps between the same company does not bother me.

You company mesh GM, Dodge, and Fords hottest factory cars, and I'm all but in disgust for the swap. A GT40 with an LS7???? Uhhh what is the point in sucking up to the enemy??? Or putting the supercharged 5.4 into the Corvette??? To me it's extremely dumb, but if you want to do it go ahead. Sometimes you can save money, but in the end, it's still wrong no matter who's opinion it is. The type of wrong I speak of is not deadly sin wrong.... but like an antelope eating a lion wrong.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The enemy? Lol, Ford and GM love you. Think Ford gives a flipping frogs ass about your diehard love of their product's? Or GM cares about your Final Solution like desire to keep their product's pure?

Mixing and matching happens, get over it. I think it's especially funny that you've found a way to justify your own bastard car plans, and still denigrate everyone elses. Firebirds with Chevy motors are a pet peeve of mine, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online