4v heads + 383motor = B.S.?????

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Mr.Bolt-on said:
You company mesh GM, Dodge, and Fords hottest factory cars, and I'm all but in disgust for the swap. A GT40 with an LS7???? Uhhh what is the point in sucking up to the enemy??? Or putting the supercharged 5.4 into the Corvette??? To me it's extremely dumb, but if you want to do it go ahead. Sometimes you can save money, but in the end, it's still wrong no matter who's opinion it is. The type of wrong I speak of is not deadly sin wrong.... but like an antelope eating a lion wrong.

You're exactly the kind of guy I want to see pissed off at my LS1 swapped 98 Cobra at a car show - I blew the motor, and after I got over my initial hesitation and found out what a direct drop swap it was, and I contemplated half the cost, six speed trans upgrade, better technology, easier to work on, more than 400 lbs. lighter off the front wheels keeping my P/S and A/C, and the perfect powerband for a road race car, I pulled the trigger.

You're still stuck in the 80s mullet, Ford is better than Chevy or whatever brand you wish blind sheep brand loyalty. When you're an auto tech and you see this stuff on a day to day basis you know that Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, whatever, it's all the same shit. They all suck equally, they all break evenly. No company uses better materials or is more reliable by nature, it's the owners. You can take a Ford tech and he'd be rockin' a Chevy dealership in a few weeks.

The only brand I'm loyal to is fast. If you could prove to me that swapping in a four cylinder Honda turbo motor would help my car perform better on the road course I'd be all over it too.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
Pontiac and Chevy... both are GM. You will not see me putting a 350, 383 stroker, 454, 455, or any other GM into a Ford, or a Dodge. And if you want to swap a LS1 into a SN95 cobra. It's all ok. I just think it's dumb. It defeats the purpose of building a Ford to beat a Chevy. Technically it's wrong, but I don't think anyones going to hell for it or anything. Technically putting a Chevy engine in a Pontiac is wrong, but not as wrong as putting a GM engine into a Ford.

It all goes down to what the purpose in building your car is. I just hope anyone hoping to beat Chevrolets by putting LS1 motors in their mustangs needs to realize that even if you beat the Chevrolet, you are the Chevrolet. So yes, it defeats that purpose because you just beat yourself. Now if you wanted to somehow prove that the LS1 is far superior than any Ford engine by putting it in the mustang, then go for it. It's all about what you want to make. Doesn't matter if it's wrong or not. Heck thats what HotRodding is all about. Just don't get mad if someone calls company meshing dumb. I do it, and everyone else I know does it, but just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's technically right.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
you know, the guy probably read an article as 4-valve, when they really meant 4-BARREL. It's commonly mistaken by modern muscle folk when someone sees "4v" they take it for four valves per cylinder. Where as in muscle car world, 4v means 4bbl carbeurator. If he truelly is stuffing a 383 in there, he may have meant that he is putting a set of 4 barrel close chamber factory heads on it, which in that case are higher compression, bigger valved heads. Much like double hump chevrolet heads.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Chevy doesn't have 4bbl heads, that 4v designation is only a Ford thing, and only on the Cleveland/Modified series.

What the dude dud was walk past a magazine rack, grab some catch phrases, and string them together to increase the size of his dick.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
J.R. said:
Chevy doesn't have 4bbl heads, that 4v designation is only a Ford thing, and only on the Cleveland/Modified series.

What the dude dud was walk past a magazine rack, grab some catch phrases, and string them together to increase the size of his dick.

ford has them on all of there motors JR. 289/302/351 etc. Ever heard of a J code 302? 67 they had a 53cc 302 high po motor. Very rare. In the vin the engine code was "J". Same thing in a couple engines. Chevrolet has them to, i have a set here in fact.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've never seen any head except the Cleveland/M series referred to as 4v

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
So there's like one super rare oddball 302 4bbl head? I'll file that in my ah hah file then, thanks lol.

BigTang

Reaction score
the air cleaner on my 84 LX said 5.0 Liter 4V HO if that counts
actually from 83-85 Carbed 5.0's were 4v's

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Mr.Bolt-on said:
Pontiac and Chevy... both are GM. You will not see me putting a 350, 383 stroker, 454, 455, or any other GM into a Ford, or a Dodge. And if you want to swap a LS1 into a SN95 cobra. It's all ok. I just think it's dumb. It defeats the purpose of building a Ford to beat a Chevy. Technically it's wrong, but I don't think anyones going to hell for it or anything. Technically putting a Chevy engine in a Pontiac is wrong, but not as wrong as putting a GM engine into a Ford.

It all goes down to what the purpose in building your car is. I just hope anyone hoping to beat Chevrolets by putting LS1 motors in their mustangs needs to realize that even if you beat the Chevrolet, you are the Chevrolet. So yes, it defeats that purpose because you just beat yourself. Now if you wanted to somehow prove that the LS1 is far superior than any Ford engine by putting it in the mustang, then go for it. It's all about what you want to make. Doesn't matter if it's wrong or not. Heck thats what HotRodding is all about. Just don't get mad if someone calls company meshing dumb. I do it, and everyone else I know does it, but just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's technically right.

There is nothing "wrong" about putting anything in anything. It's all the same shit, eight rods and pistons swinging around a crank and valves letting air in and out.

I didn't build a Ford to build a Chevy. I built my car for my own personal enjoyment, I could care less how it compares to anyone else's car. I built it to be completely unique, and, on some level, to make blind geezers like you freak out at car shows and get your panties in a bunch at what someone else did to their car.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
BigTang said:
the air cleaner on my 84 LX said 5.0 Liter 4V HO if that counts
actually from 83-85 Carbed 5.0's were 4v's

Most Ford 4bbl intakes say 4v, we're talking about heads.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
Technically you did build a Ford to build a Chevy, because if you didn't you wouldn't be mentioning the LS1 that now resides between the fenders of your Ford. It is NOT all the SAME shit. 4.6 does not equal 5.7 liters. 281 does not equal 350 period. No, they are not the same. What you mean to say is this: they all make the car go in motion, but they do not perform equaly. If they were all the same, then a 3.8 v6 should perform just as good, and make the same power as the LS1. The LS1 swap has been done a good many times. As a matter of fact I even sold a v6 mustang that was turned into an all out drag car... It is 350 powered. Did I agree or even think the swap was the correct thing to do? No. Was it a great performing car? Yes it was.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
Mr.Bolt-on said:
Technically you did build a Ford to build a Chevy, because if you didn't you wouldn't be mentioning the LS1 that now resides between the fenders of your Ford. It is NOT all the SAME shit. 4.6 does not equal 5.7 liters. 281 does not equal 350 period. No, they are not the same. What you mean to say is this: they all make the car go in motion, but they do not perform equaly. If they were all the same, then a 3.8 v6 should perform just as good, and make the same power as the LS1. The LS1 swap has been done a good many times. As a matter of fact I even sold a v6 mustang that was turned into an all out drag car... It is 350 powered. Did I agree or even think the swap was the correct thing to do? No. Was it a great performing car? Yes it was.

your first sentence makes zero sense. there is nothing "technical" about your pure opinion. I've never even had a Chevrolet in my race class at the track, if anything a correct term would be I built a car to beat a 350z or a 240 or an rsx or a pesky subaru.

the technology is all the same shit. when you see this shit day in and day out you realize no one makes a better product than anyone else, it's all the same materials and the same technology. do you seriously think ford or chevrolet makes the "ford" or "chevy" motors. my 4.6L DOHC was designed and built by Italians. it wasn't a "Ford motor" from the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
the only true ford motors were pushrods, once they went modular they are built in canada or italy. It's no big deal to swap out between american brands to me, lsx series engines are extremely impressive. At the shop we have ford and we have chevrolet, i love them both.

And as for the old motors with 4 barrel heads, a few cars did have them, namely hi-po motors and J codes. The bosses did as well as some big blocks, including 428/429's. The problem is that most people make a big deal out of it and blow them out of proportion. Just because it had a 4bbl on it doesnt mean it had 4bbl heads.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
95PGTTech, the first sentence makes perfect sense to the casual observer, who has seen the words that you have written. As a matter of fact you stated you did the LS1 swap, unless your lying. I am not bragging that either company is better than the other. Also, it doesn't matter if the Cobra's engine was built somewhere else, then placed into the Ford in the factory. Point being is that it was the stock motor that came with the car. There is a 1996 Cobra sitting in my driveway as of now, and the DOHC 4.6 clearly has Ford emblems on it. Yes, it is an Italian made block. It was produced for Ford, and used by Ford.

Quite frankly there are many parts on the mustang, or any other American vehicle that are made by foriegn companies. Using your logic that they are all the same, because the parts that make them up come from different parts of the world, then that would also defeat the purpose of trying to beat import cars.

Again, it's not my opinion that swapping an LS1 into a Ford is technically wrong, because it is. You must first open your eyes and see where I am comming from. Take a look at the SHO Taurus. The engine it has is made by Yamaha. The SHO came from the factory this way, and it is correctly assembled to it's own set of build instructions from the factory. To put a GM or Honda motor in the SHO from the factory using the guidlines that are used to put the Yamaha motor into the SHO would most definetly be technically wrong. Why? Because the build instructions instruct the manufacturer to put the Yamaha motor into the Ford, not a GM, Ford, or Honda motor.

So Technically, customizing is wrong using these guidlines, but as I said before it's not a sin, and no one abides by these rules. Any modification not designed for the Ford inside the factory, using factory instructions after the Ford reaches it's new owner is Technically wrong. Anything after that is pure opinion. Like my opinion that swapping an LS1 into a Cobra is dumb. Some people may even think putting an aftermarket Bodykit on a car is dumb, but when it's all said and done, it is all opinion based after the fact.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Speaking from your perspective, anything not factory would be technically wrong. Your headers, exhaust, filter, clutch, and gears are all, technically wrong. To have those installed and be claiming that anything not factory is technically wrong and how it's dumb for someone else to do it, well that's being a hypocrite sir.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
No Steven, I'm not being a hypocrite because I said that I did not abide by those rules either. Therefore me admitting to being guilty of doing it before hand, makes me not a hypocrite. It is my opinion that swapping an LS1 into a Cobra is dumb. Any modification that I like, or swap would simply be my opinion, but having an opinion does not mean that I do not have evidence to support my opinion. I have my reasons for calling something dumb. I don't just haphazardly jump into something an claim it dumb with no supporting evidence. I voice my opinion, and I do not have to get the praise from others for my opinion. When I voice my opinion I expect others to be offended, because the majority of people do not expect their opinion to be challenged.

So to me, it would defeat the purpose of building a Ford by placing a GM motor in it. Quite frankly your building a Ford, but some people don't understand what building a Ford means. Same with building a GM. If it is someones personal preference to build a Chimera then so be it, just don't expect to get praised for it by every single person living at this moment on planet earth.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
You make so many circles with your sentences you'd think you're going to run for President in 2012.

I guess I just don't understand what building a Ford means. Being the title holder and all. I'm glad it gets your panties in a bunch - I get a raise out of meeting car guys like you at shows and races now, I can't imagine next season when they see the "Chevy" motor.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a HUGE fan of mixing motors and what not...

But a LS1 Mustang would be the bawls.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
You make so many circles with your sentences you'd think you're going to run for President in 2012.

I guess I just don't understand what building a Ford means. Being the title holder and all. I'm glad it gets your panties in a bunch - I get a raise out of meeting car guys like you at shows and races now, I can't imagine next season when they see the "Chevy" motor.

The best way to put it is he means if you want an ls1 go buy a camaro.

Your arguments prove a point but the fact of the matter is, f-bodys suck. A mustang is a more comfortable, better looking, better driving car. I've had a few, great cars, but definately not a mustang. The idea behind the swap is to get the best into one package. 4v motors compared to an ls series motor makes them look like tiny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online