94Gtstang50's Fox 2.3 Turbo build

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
The IHI's did in fact come stock on the 87-88 T/C's as Passenger said, the difference is the IHI's spool up faster that the Garrett T4/T5 (Stock on the 85 T/C), but do not put out as much, so when I can I do in fact plan to upgrade to the Garrett, I just had the IHI, so I figured I'd see how it was with it, and then save up and get the bigger turbo when I got bored, who knows, maybe uncle sam will be good to me this tax season and i'll be able to upgrade sooner.

Dairy King

Reaction score
How much would something like this cost to build, compared to like a 302 or whatever? Is a n/a 4cyl any different than a turbo other than the turbo obviously?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yes the N/a and turbo motors are different from each other, the turbos ones are beefed up to handle the extra hp. Total cost to me so far is in the $500 range, but I have replaced almost everything. If I didn't already have a 5.0 I would have gone that route, since everyone loves that sexy V8 sound.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
*Update*

Finally got a break in the weather to install the intercooler and radiator along with test fit the gauge pod. Just need to install the intercooler piping and a few little things here and there and it'll be up and running.
rangerrad.jpg

radandintercoolerinstalled.jpg

<br>
Boost and A/F gauge

gauges2.jpg

<br>
Ford Racing C springs mounted on the fox

frppcsprings.jpg

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yea, you gotta figure in a -0.5 sec correction on your slip when you run there though compared to maintained and preped tracks, lol.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Well, got the bad boy running and all was going well until cylinder 1 crapped itself. Right now I'm pulling it so I can see exactly what went wrong, seal the small oil leak at the oil pan gasket and make sure everything looks good, so the motor should be back in and running by the end of next week weather, work and time permitting. Up until it started missing it was running beautifully, nice and smooth, decent power at only 7psi, and a very nice sound too, no one could figure out what was under my hood. Compression was good as well, 110 across the last 3 cylinders and 50 in the blown one. I got some pics for anyone that is interested too, ill post them tomorrow. Next mod after the motor is back in and that cylinder is back up is a alcohol/water injection, and after the breakin ill play with the boost, and man I must say, its hard to not want to crank that adj valve up.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
248696512_836590163_0.jpeg

Where she was at before I tore her down again, now my Bov has come in and the black coupler at the tb has been replaced with a red one due to it blowing off under boost.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Completemotorfirsttime.jpg

The motor before my little problem, new head just got done at the machine shop, and as soon as this rain lets up i'll have the motor in.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Car is up and running, pulls nicely at 10psi and noticeably harder as you up the boost, I must say that I looove the feeling when that turbo spools up, this old sloth really moves, just need to get the 3" exhaust now. My overall opinion, definitely worth the time and the money for the swap.

Nestromo

Reaction score
My best friend has a 2.3T '87 Coupe. Truly fun ride and a great rice killer. Beat those fuckers at their on game and then ask if they want to race the fast car. :knuppel2:

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Nestromo said:
My best friend has a 2.3T '87 Coupe. Truly fun ride and a great rice killer. Beat those ******* at their on game and then ask if they want to race the fast car. :knuppel2:

Exactly, I still have my 87 t/c, just waiting for a head currently. I love giving ricers the blowoff valve whistle, they have a "wtf face" everytime, can't wait to have the cobra back out after the clutch gets done. Had it out going up and down my street to see how fried the clutch was and i knew my exhaust was loud enough because this old wretched hag that lives down the street came outside to give me a nasty look. Now I would have liked to have given her the standard jersey greeting (the finger) but she got a friendly wave and smile instead, lol. Its part of my "trying to make my neighbors not hate me too much for owning multiple loud cars" plan.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good deal on getting it running again. That is going to be a fun little car.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Got the boost controller working, running 14psi right now and its a blast, i really need subframe connectors though, the car seems sketchy on turns(thats a convetible for ya). Now just playing with the timing and boost to get it just right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online