95 Cobra & 95 Cobra R Project with Stroked 351 & S-trim

Discussion in 'Build Ups & Projects' started by Racsirx, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I have a build up post on Corral and it's pretty much done but I thought I would share it here,

I have a wrecked 95 Cobra R #75, which has a cam, 2.5" exhaust and I just sold the Kenne Bell 2.2L Flowzilla with meth injection. And I just bought a 95 Cobra #371 with 85K miles that needed some work and it has a Vortech S-trim, TFS heads, TFS cam and TFS intake. I just don't trust a stock block 302 with blower, been there too many times so the plan is to take out the 5.0 drivetrain and put the 5.8 R drivetrain into it with the S-trim and try to keep the setup simple for daily use with some of the R stuff, like R radiator, R oil cooler, R front sway bar, and maybe the R springs. The brake lines have been upgraded to steel braided and slotted and drilled rotors. I just replaced the rear bumper for a 98 rear bumper and the tail lights since they were tinted. Right now I have Griggs rear lower controls, Maximum Motorsport Camber Caster Plates, 3:55s and Auburn Posi to install.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Changed the deck lid with one with better paint, installed the Cobra R hood and cleaned up the headlights

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Got my new rims for the Cobra, I was going to get some XXRs but since this was going to be a daily driver, I wanted something easy to clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I installed Maximum Motorsports camber caster plates and the Cobra had Eibach Pro Kit Springs so I will try to run those in the front since the R front Springs are probably too stiff with 18" rims for the street but run the R Springs in the rear, I also removed all the isolators to get it as low as possible. I also found out that my Cobra had aftermarket sway bars, a 35mm front sway bar which was bigger than my Cobra R front sway bar but the rear aftermarket sway bar was smaller than the R so I will try the bigger R rear sway bar and see how that works.

5. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Here are the rear springs the R springs are shorter than my Pro Kit springs and I think I remember looking up that my R springs are only 10lbs stiffer than the Pro Kit rear springs so we will see how that works out, the left springs are the R springs

[​IMG]

I also installed this Flowmaster 3 chamber 2.5" Catback from my Cobra R, since my cobra had turn downs, I wanted something quieter, not the best looking condition but good enough for a daily driver and I had it already.

[​IMG]

6. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

After removing the isolators from the front springs and installing Cobra R rear springs with Griggs adjustable ride height rear control arms, it didn't seem to lower that much

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

The weather has been bad and I haven't got much done but I did install the boost and fuel pressure gauges and the steering column from the Cobra R since it was in better shape and didn't have the cruise control stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

9. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Changed to the Cobra R master cylinder and proportioning valve, the master cylinder from the R is a 1" bore and the proportioning on the R is the same as a GT, the regular Cobra proportioning valve created too much nose dive so Ford put the GT one on the R, also changed to the bigger G-load brace from the R.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

Had the R driveshaft checked and rebalanced with new u-joints, which is longer than a regular Cobra driveshaft for the Tremec 3550, welded a fitting on the oil pan for the return line, and had to clean up the hole the best I could on the apron and make it bigger for the powerpipe since the previous owner didn't do it very nice, also here is the BBK x-pipe that I am using from the R, a little rusty but seem to work on the R, it didn't make any rattle noise when I moved the R a few times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I just got off the phone with Scat and with the numbers on the crank they said my motor is stroked to a 377 or 383 depending on its a standard bore or .030, 3.750 stroke, Scat Crank 4-351W-3750-6125,

12. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I changed out the seats for some in way better shape

[​IMG]

13. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I had to get FMS center caps since the ebay stickers I bought to put over the center caps didn't last

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pics with the motor in, does it look like a 351?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I got a nice custom 3 core radiator from one of my parts cars to use and it was tight going in but it gave plenty of room for the fan and pulleys which I heard it was hard with a Fluidyne radiator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also extended the factory 5.0 rails to fit a 5.8 intake

[​IMG]

15. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I installed the A/C onto the 351 and compressor hits the battery tray so I have to figure something out, I really didn't want to put the battery into the trunk.

16. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

The accessory belt I used with a 351 and A/C is 107.9 inches long and that's with the smaller Vortech water pump pulley, Gates part number K061073

17. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I got it running and took it to the All Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs car show and got 1st place for peoples choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Racsirx

Racsirx Active Member

I just got the A/C recharged, still need to do the gears done, now the fuel pressure gauge isn't working, stuck at 100psi

[​IMG]

19. sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95 Well-Known Member

Great progress. That last shot is sick

20. 03DSGGT

03DSGGT SN95 Supporting Member

Great looking Cobra, and props to you for the trophy...