96 gt convertible overheating

Bigkansas

Reaction score
Ok I have a 96 gt battling what I think it’s the engine running hot. Normal operating temps in the Arizona 115’ heat with the ac cranking is 220’. For me I think this is hot but I’m not really sure have been reading that that’s normal for them. Any help would be appreciated thanks

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Thats hot
But this weather is horrible
Check thermostat mabe instal a lower temp
Check water pump radiator for air flow through it

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
220* is ok. Remember, these coolant systems are under about 16 psi of pressure (or about one atmosphere) which means the boiling point is raised even higher. When it creeps up around 230* that's when you should start to suspect a problem. If there are no leaks, you're good. But granted, out there in the hotter states, just put a couple bottles of water wetter in there and call it a day. There's nothing wrong with your car.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Even with the temps in New mexico
Its hot
I have 3 core radiators on on the cars
And I change thermostats winter to summer
Cooler in summer
Hotter in winter
If I see that needle moving up
I'm freaking out
I'm old school
The cooler runs the better for me
Mine is running about 190 200 right now

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
220* is ok. Remember, these coolant systems are under about 16 psi of pressure (or about one atmosphere) which means the boiling point is raised even higher. When it creeps up around 230* that's when you should start to suspect a problem. If there are no leaks, you're good. But granted, out there in the hotter states, just put a couple bottles of water wetter in there and call it a day. There's nothing wrong with your car.
Ok thank you for the help

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
make sure the fan is going into high and low speed and also make sure that you have the air deflector on the bottom of the core support. It is just a piece of plastic but if your car is getting hot while moving that might be the problem as it helps to move air through the rad.

OP
OP
Bigkansas

Bigkansas

Reaction score
make sure the fan is going into high and low speed and also make sure that you have the air deflector on the bottom of the core support. It is just a piece of plastic but if your car is getting hot while moving that might be the problem as it helps to move air through the rad.
Mine sure does not have it on there will track one down. Thank you

Motorhead4ever

Reaction score
If you really want your engine to last it's full life then running cooler is the trick- putting in a 185 to 190 t-stat with a three core aluminum radiator and a meizere electric water pump is the best tricks out there. I live in Florida and run my A/C all the time and even getting stuck in traffic she stays at a constant 185 . My car is a race prepped 4v Teskid block --all forged internals in a 98 Gt. Just some thoughts for you if you plan on keeping your car forever like me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.