97 Cobra Blown Head Gasket Help/Tips

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I use Loctite brand for locktight, and rtv. But locktight is locktight, and rtv, is rtv. Just make sure you get the right heat range for each. Pm 5ohh for a pdf file of the service manual. I think he has one. If not they are worth their weight in gold, and should give you the right specs for everything including torque specs. Should be able to get one for 25-45 bucks. Do you have a harbor freight near by? Unless you find a hoist and stand on cl, they will probably be the cheapest.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
So?? Find a hoist?

Not yet, still looking around. Found one on craigslist but he was way too far from my location. The closest HF is about 25 miles away, but my friend is trying to borrow one from his work. In the meantime I'm getting all of the tools ready for the job

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
UPDATE: Still shopping around for some hoists, gotta wait till next paycheck!

However, my buddy wanted to take a look under the Intake Manifold so we took it apart on our days off.
s3fyww.jpg

Everything was ok on the inside. Some carbon buildup, so we cleaned off the IRMC plates, throttle body, and the Intake Manifold. I also found a few small mouse turds under the manifold, but on top of the block.

While I was under the car, I wanted to see how bad it was getting to the Exhaust Manifolds, and it was IMPOSSIBLE. How the hell did you guys do it? So instead of going for the manifolds, I was thinking of disconnected the midpipe to where it meets the manifold, but the passenger side is STILL impossible to get it. I sprayed that thing with WD40 and it was still difficult.

Also......While torquing the stupid small Intake Manifold bolts (from the top where the Cobra logo is, to the bottom) I guess I overtorqued the bolt and it broke off!! I don't get it, I barely put any muscle into it and the damn thing broke. Anyways I just wanted to update you guys.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Those intake bolts are measured in inch pounds, like 22 or something crazy like that. I was just about to take mine off tonight. And I hear you on the passenger side manifold. Both those bolts are in shit locations and the O2 sensor doesn't help

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Because theyre torq to yield. Once you yake them out gotta get new ones. This is why alot of people go to arp.
Dont try taking the manifolds off with the motor in the car, pull them with the motor. If you find an exhaust bolt thats not agreeing with you use heat, just be careful. If that doesnt work or yourr not worried about saving it cut it off with a torch or something and replace at reassembly. Most of the time thats what i do, its not worth the headache to try to save it when bolts at homedepot are cheap

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
sorry for the delay, I've been picking up hours at work the past two weeks because I just bought a transmission jack, engine stand and engine hoist from harbor freight. I've been driving my old 5.0 as my daily for now. While I'm waiting for the Harbor Freight parts, I'm still trying to loosing the exhaust manifolds from the midpipe. These things are really in there!

I might just pay the local exhaust shop $40 to loosen them for me

Nighttrain

Reaction score
If they dont break loose cut them. Thats all the shop will do. Pb blaster, a little heat from a torch, if still no go......cut dem!

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
If they dont break loose cut them. Thats all the shop will do. Pb blaster, a little heat from a torch, if still no go......cut dem!

I will most likely have to do that...since I live in the great state of California we do require the stupid smog every other year

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
took it to the shop and they were able to loosen the exhaust for me, they only charged me about $25. Right now I'm draining the coolant, oil, and going remove the battery, radiator, fan and strut tower, then get into the intake manifold this weekend. Still waiting on the hoist

Nighttrain

Reaction score
took it to the shop and they were able to loosen the exhaust for me, they only charged me about $25. Right now I'm draining the coolant, oil, and going remove the battery, radiator, fan and strut tower, then get into the intake manifold this weekend. Still waiting on the hoist

Sweet! If you need help were here bro!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Fit the bill shipping me out to you and ill gladly do it for you!....lol

Seriously, just ask. We help what we can

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
haha thanks guys. So a couple of hours before work today I went and relieved the fuel pressure, drained coolant, oil and removed the radiator, fan, battery, air intake and other small things. I labeled them because I have crappy memory and have zip lock bags with the small bolts/nuts.

pictures aren't that great, but the previous owner didn't take care of her, and the undercarriage was pretty dirty, and had a lot of dents
jrv69i.jpg

watching the Roadkill show for motivation
2qak0wh.jpg

the Mishimoto radiator, has a couple of dings in it because of my carelessness
2e5o8w9.jpg

2i0uf5u.jpg

2j4efdf.jpg

A peek of my rare California-stock 5.0 (besides tailpipes). Shes helping me get by while the Cobra is in surgery.
b5jl0x.jpg

More to come!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
haha thanks guys. So a couple of hours before work today I went and relieved the fuel pressure, drained coolant, oil and removed the radiator, fan, battery, air intake and other small things. I labeled them because I have crappy memory and have zip lock bags with the small bolts/nuts.

pictures aren't that great, but the previous owner didn't take care of her, and the undercarriage was pretty dirty, and had a lot of dents
jrv69i.jpg

watching the Roadkill show for motivation
2qak0wh.jpg

the Mishimoto radiator, has a couple of dings in it because of my carelessness
2e5o8w9.jpg

2i0uf5u.jpg

2j4efdf.jpg

A peek of my rare California-stock 5.0 (besides tailpipes). Shes helping me get by while the Cobra is in surgery.
b5jl0x.jpg

More to come!

Good progress!

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
So on my day off I decided to disconnect the exhaust manifolds, O2 sensors, starter, and the bottom bell housing bolts. But after a few hours I couldn't reach that infamous top starter bolt.

When I had a 98 GT I had some transmission work done to it, and one of my teachers helped and had used a super long extension, swivel, and got it out in no time on a lift. But here lying on my back, I tried two different swivel joints, extensions, deep 13mm socket, you name it, I almost got it but today I'm beat. The Haynes manual is pretty useless as well they only have pictures of what I already know.

I remember guys used to take the top one out and just have the starter with 2 bolts on with no problem. How did you guys get the starter off?

I was also thinking about getting the engine + transmission out together, but i can't even get to the O2 sensor, because the starter is in the way.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Two universals a believe, they are a pain. Can you leave the o2 in and just disconnect the plug? And yes pull the motor and tranny together. Much easier.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online