97 Cobra Blown Head Gasket Help/Tips

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Got some work done today. The hoist, trans jack & engine stand finally came in. It took a few hours to put them all together.

2heapvl.png

2zp3us6.png

2r6jvrd.png

The only problem was on the hoist, they only gave me 4 wheels out of 6. I called Harbor Freight and they are going to send me the last set at no charge. Sucks, but at least their customer service was really good.

14kk0ur.png

33xa55e.png

I labeled and disconnected more vacuum lines and electrical connectors, and took off the Intake Manifold. I took a picture of the weak bolts that I had broken from the upper part. Luckily I was able to twist the broken pieces off. I need to contact a Ford parts dealer, hopefully these aren't discontinued

Lastly, my coolant crossover tube was rusted. So I did a light sand, and sprayed some 2000 degree paint over it. Nothing special. I know that these things are discontinued, so I was very careful.

2d6o0vk.png

Next week I plan on getting under again, dropping the exhaust, taking off the driveshaft, and disconnecting the electrical on the transmission. Stay tuned! Its coming along slowly but we're almost there!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Awesome! Do yourself a small favor and take the hood off, that or cover your windshield with a blanket and lay it all the way back. Dont forget to block the wheels and disconnect everything inside on the shifter.
Keep at it! Youre doing fine

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Forgot to ask, what type of bolts do I need when I put the engine on the stand? And I'm assuming the the bolts goes where the transmission bellhousing goes?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Yup, when you drop the trans off the motor. Take one of the bolts to home depot or someplace and get the right length. Gotta get the right thread too.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Earlier today I tried to get more work done, but that damn driveshaft wouldn't budge at all. I sprayed PB blaster, moved in different and awkward positions, tried to leverage with my leg on the 12mm wrench and that thing did not budge.

So I moved on.

I disconnected the O2 sensors, and other electrical connectors on the trans. I removed the clutch cable cover, and removed the cable.

Then I took the bottom of the transmission mount nuts off, but the two 16mm nuts right above that wouldn't budge.

I'm trying to get the hard stuff under the car done first, I know I still have to disconnect the fuel, and power steering up top, but I thought I had enough time today.

Would it be possible to just leave the driveshaft in place? If I pull the engine + trans together, can't I just slide it out? I know a lot of fluid will leak out. What do you guys think?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
You can just slide the yoke out but like you said youll lose fluid. Will the rear side of the ds come undone?

A small propane torch does wonders. Dont melt the head of the bolt but get that thing cherry red then dump water on it. Thatll usually loosen whatever dirt and rust is holding the threads. Also works if someone used locktight on them

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, the propane torch and a good wrench with a back up wrench on it and push with your feet. Those things are crazy tight lol.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
gonna tackle the driveshaft again later this week, we'll see how it goes with the help of the torch

Nighttrain

Reaction score
gonna tackle the driveshaft again later this week, we'll see how it goes with the help of the torch

Remember dont melt them, and have a bottle of water with you. As soon as you have them cherry red dump the water on them itll break loose any crap thats holding them tight.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
UPDATE: Today I tried to tackle the driveshaft again today with the torch. I accidentally sprayed too much PB blaster from last time and caused a huge flame, thankfully I had gloves, eye pro and wore layers. I tried to muscle with the 12mm wrench but again no luck. So today I just took off the AC compressor, and 3 out of the 4 bolts holding the power steering. The last one is in there pretty tight. I also moved most of the electrical harness towards the passenger side. Then took off the 2 heater core hoses.

I'm pretty lazy today and in the middle of a transition to a new job, so I'm gonna wait until my full day off next week to tackle the stupid driveshaft again. I'm assuming the driveshaft is the original from 1997, so probably hasn't been touched since it was first installed.

On a separate note, is this stud what I would use as an engine lift point? Also, do you guys have a picture of the point behind the drivers side cylinder head as well? I'm trying to get an idea of where to mount the chain when the time comes. In the following picture I'm talking about the stud right below were the fuel injector is.

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Got some work done today. The hoist, trans jack & engine stand finally came in. It took a few hours to put them all together. Nice work so far. Im getting my engine pulled myself for the same issue so im also bead blasting my valve covers and intake,i had forgot about the coolant crossover tube,thanx cause mines really needs paint.

2heapvl.png

2zp3us6.png

2r6jvrd.png

The only problem was on the hoist, they only gave me 4 wheels out of 6. I called Harbor Freight and they are going to send me the last set at no charge. Sucks, but at least their customer service was really good.

14kk0ur.png

33xa55e.png

I labeled and disconnected more vacuum lines and electrical connectors, and took off the Intake Manifold. I took a picture of the weak bolts that I had broken from the upper part. Luckily I was able to twist the broken pieces off. I need to contact a Ford parts dealer, hopefully these aren't discontinued

Lastly, my coolant crossover tube was rusted. So I did a light sand, and sprayed some 2000 degree paint over it. Nothing special. I know that these things are discontinued, so I was very careful.

2d6o0vk.png

Next week I plan on getting under again, dropping the exhaust, taking off the driveshaft, and disconnecting the electrical on the transmission. Stay tuned! Its coming along slowly but we're almost there!
Nice work so far. Im getting my engine pulled myself for the same issue so im also bead blasting my valve covers and intake,i had forgot about the coolant crossover tube,thanx cause mines really needs paint.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
I may do the same with my valve covers, still debating on the paint color. I was thinking of a classic Ford Blue but I'm not sure how it'll turn out with my red car. I'm more focused on getting my driveshaft out now, and then the transmission crossmember.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
FINALLY got the driveshaft off. I was able to use my jack and leverage it up with a wrench. I had to put it into Reverse, use my foot on the rear wheel and rotate for all four bolts.

I took a little nap from trying to use muscle

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Old Ford Blue looks great in a red bay, ask me how I know lol. Good thinking with the driveshaft. Also, I use the alternator bolt hole and the top transmission mount bolt to lift the engine.

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Old Ford Blue looks great in a red bay, ask me how I know lol. Good thinking with the driveshaft. Also, I use the alternator bolt hole and the top transmission mount bolt to lift the engine.

you wouldn't happen to have old pictures would you?

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Sorry its been awhile. Youre doing good! I usually pull a motor by the intake bolts i have an adapter plate but the alt bolt and one of the bellhousing bolts would work just fine

OP
OP
YUNG VEEZU

YUNG VEEZU

Reaction score
Ive got a bunch of pictures in my build thread. I went Ford Blue with everything. Photobucket isnt working right now but when it comes up Ill post one here.

I just got done browsing at your build thread, thats some awesome work you've had done. I want my interior painted EXACTLY like that. I hate the saddle brown look. I've used the interior paint from Late Model Restoration for a few parts like the air bag cover, and the panel under the steering wheel. You've sold me on the Ford blue block

MorbidSvtCobra

Reaction score
Good progress. I feel your pain on the saddle,yuck. Im glad my last 2 sn95's were black,or i would have swapped my black 94 gt interior with the cobra

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.