97 Cobra build/rebuild

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Does that tool work for both cams? I thought you needed the one that you could flip to do both cams. I just need to compress the valve springs enough to get the followers back in.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Update -

I did a horrible job at recording all the small garage time that went into this build. But with that being said, we are officially running and moving under it's own power again.

unnamed (1).jpg

Still have a few things to tidy up and adjust. Like the second reservoir bolt is currently zip tied due to not being able to find it. Need new clips for the plastics. Need to order a new set of plug wire holding clips.

unnamed (2).jpg

Still working at getting the air out of the cooling system before I can drive it more than 5-10 minutes. This should be completed this week, got busy at work with end of fiscal year stuff that overwhelmed the day/night.

But we got it running Friday night, Saturday morning I idled it up to temp and took it for a test run around the neighborhood and everything feels good so far. Have to take it easy for a couple hundred miles to break the new clutch in. More to come....

up to 3500rpm's

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Took the car to the DMV to see about getting a 30/90 day temp tag so I can drive the car legally for a bit to break everything in. Because the sticker on my plate's expired over a year ago she said I didn't need to do Emissions, just needed new plates.

Finally decided it was time to cash in on the Veteran Plates and got new customized Vet plates for free. Normally new plates are $151. I went in thinking I was spending $19-$30 on a temp tag to pass emissions. Ended up paying nothing. Definitely a win in my book for once.

This evening I decided to go put some miles on it and see what kind of bugs I still need to tackle. Put almost 100 miles on it, and over the course of that cruise, I have come to the conclusion that either 1- My alternator is failing or 2- I have a ground strap with a poor connection. Didn't have any issues with it until I stopped at the store to grab a few things and whenever I came out it was dark enough I needed to turn the headlights on and at the stoplight my battery light was flashing intermittently. Went away after taking off and didn't have that issue anymore.

Stereo in the car periodically decides to work and not work depending on bumps it seems.

Headlights are and have always been very disappointing. They have smoked lenses but it's incredibly dim for even having smoked lenses.

Mid-pipe needs to be adjusted, I have an exhaust leak on the passenger header flange and it is hanging lower than I would like.

Otherwise, the trip was a huge success. No overheating issues. No odd engines sounds. Smooth as can be for sitting for two years waiting its turn for attention.

Venompower

Reaction score
Took the car to the DMV to see about getting a 30/90 day temp tag so I can drive the car legally for a bit to break everything in. Because the sticker on my plate's expired over a year ago she said I didn't need to do Emissions, just needed new plates.

Finally decided it was time to cash in on the Veteran Plates and got new customized Vet plates for free. Normally new plates are $151. I went in thinking I was spending $19-$30 on a temp tag to pass emissions. Ended up paying nothing. Definitely a win in my book for once.

This evening I decided to go put some miles on it and see what kind of bugs I still need to tackle. Put almost 100 miles on it, and over the course of that cruise, I have come to the conclusion that either 1- My alternator is failing or 2- I have a ground strap with a poor connection. Didn't have any issues with it until I stopped at the store to grab a few things and whenever I came out it was dark enough I needed to turn the headlights on and at the stoplight my battery light was flashing intermittently. Went away after taking off and didn't have that issue anymore.

Stereo in the car periodically decides to work and not work depending on bumps it seems.

Headlights are and have always been very disappointing. They have smoked lenses but it's incredibly dim for even having smoked lenses.

Mid-pipe needs to be adjusted, I have an exhaust leak on the passenger header flange and it is hanging lower than I would like.

Otherwise, the trip was a huge success. No overheating issues. No odd engines sounds. Smooth as can be for sitting for two years waiting its turn for attention.
I went the Expanded-Use Antique tags route... they just increased the months you can drive March through November, and it costs only $50/year. That being said, you can't beat free!

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I went the Expanded-Use Antique tags route... they just increased the months you can drive March through November, and it costs only $50/year. That being said, you can't beat free!

I debated this route, and will probably move that direction whenever it crosses the 25 year mark. It still currently does not qualify.

Drove the car probably another 150 miles total since Friday. Engine is definitely strong and pulls great. Still haven't been WOT on it, more just rolling into the throttle while the clutch is still being broken in.

Replaced the headlight bulbs for now with the best pair Autozone had in stock. Still dim but better than previous bulbs. When you turn on the highbeams it actually is close to what standard headlights project out now. Will figure out the route to take with these moving forward.

Found a few more issues.

1- The liquid A/C line that runs from firewall to condenser was pinched and got stuck below the headers on the engine install. Apparently it also got melted on one of the first heat cycles. $30 line to replace and re-route. Will take care of this sometime this winter.

2- Vacuum line that comes from the firewall for the Air Selector is broken again. Does anyone have a simple solution for vacuum lines without EGR? From what I can gather I will just need the Regulator on the fuel rail and the Air Selector. If anyone has any pictures of how they have this remedied I would like to see this.

3- Need to replace the brake pads soon, also have some sort of squeak while at low speeds.

I contacted a guy locally that tunes Mustangs to get on the list, still have not heard anything from him. Would like to get this done sooner than later. I also did some figuring and based off Mahle's website I am now running a 11.1:1 Compression ratio. Kind of wish I had ordered some Cams while I had it apart now...just needed to hear it run before sinking more money into it. Hindsight.

Driving it a couple days this week to work to help finish breaking in the clutch before it cools off to much.

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Replaced the headlight bulbs for now with the best pair Autozone had in stock. Still dim but better than previous bulbs. When you turn on the highbeams it actually is close to what standard headlights project out now. Will figure out the route to take with these moving forward.
If you haven't already, it might be worth checking the headlight alignment. Every little bit helps.

joe65

Reaction score
Just caught up on your build. good to see it running again. I might bother you at times this winter. My teksid shortblock will be coming back to me sometime soon and i'll be putting everything back together just like you did. Did you replace your stock cams or re use? I'm looking for 98 cobra cams for mine. They give a little upper end boost over the stock mach 1 cams i have. I'm building mine for boost. Are you planning on boost later on yours? Ive been round and round on which direction but i'm pretty much planning on a procharger or vortech at this point.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Just caught up on your build. good to see it running again. I might bother you at times this winter. My teksid shortblock will be coming back to me sometime soon and i'll be putting everything back together just like you did. Did you replace your stock cams or re use? I'm looking for 98 cobra cams for mine. They give a little upper end boost over the stock mach 1 cams i have. I'm building mine for boost. Are you planning on boost later on yours? Ive been round and round on which direction but i'm pretty much planning on a procharger or vortech at this point.

Feel free to ask away. It took me a while to rebuild mine with the various events that happen around my house with four kids that all play sports.

I kept the stock cams for two reasons. 1- These engines are not cheap to rebuild even when you are trying to be cheap. 2- I was at the point where I spent enough on everything else I just wanted to get it running again because it had been over a year at the point I started to reassemble everything.

Hindsight is I wish I would have gotten a new set of cams for my car. I went with a high compression setup and really feel like I could have optimized it with some slightly aggressive cams.

I really wanted to go with the Kenne Bell 2.1 whenever I first started this build. I have always been a huge fan of the whine and instant power. The more time that passes though I feel like I may end up with a ProCharger or Vortech setup myself. I don't really have ambitions of high boost and until I replace my K-Member I won't be fooling around with the headers again for some time. Those made installing the engine a pain. Granted I installed the headers and transmission before dropping everything back in. Tight fit to say the least.

joe65

Reaction score
Feel free to ask away. It took me a while to rebuild mine with the various events that happen around my house with four kids that all play sports.

I kept the stock cams for two reasons. 1- These engines are not cheap to rebuild even when you are trying to be cheap. 2- I was at the point where I spent enough on everything else I just wanted to get it running again because it had been over a year at the point I started to reassemble everything.

Hindsight is I wish I would have gotten a new set of cams for my car. I went with a high compression setup and really feel like I could have optimized it with some slightly aggressive cams.

I really wanted to go with the Kenne Bell 2.1 whenever I first started this build. I have always been a huge fan of the whine and instant power. The more time that passes though I feel like I may end up with a ProCharger or Vortech setup myself. I don't really have ambitions of high boost and until I replace my K-Member I won't be fooling around with the headers again for some time. Those made installing the engine a pain. Granted I installed the headers and transmission before dropping everything back in. Tight fit to say the least.
Oh i'm sure with the added compression (where are you on cpr?) it will still be fun to drive. I want to go with new cams on mine also but its hella expensive at $1500 ish for just cams on the 4v. I really wanted to end up with a whipple on mine but really going that route adds another $5k to my project so i had to let go of that too. The guy that is assembling my short block ( i decided i didn't need to learn the hard way on this one) is also an HP tuner and a procharger dealer so he's influenced my direction lately. I'm hoping to just hit the 500whp on mine. The forged teksid can be pushed pretty far past that but I won't need that much hp for my toy. Oh and i'll be putting in the Team Z k member front end coil overs etc. this winter on mine.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
11:1 Compression Ratio is where I am at with my setup.

Unfortunately there isn't really a "cheap" power adder option. Did he give you a price estimate on the Procharger setup for your car?

Venompower

Reaction score
The more time that passes though I feel like I may end up with a ProCharger or Vortech setup myself.

The guy that is assembling my short block ( i decided i didn't need to learn the hard way on this one) is also an HP tuner and a procharger dealer so he's influenced my direction lately. .

Procharger or no-charger!!

Procharger.jpg

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Sounds good to me! One 1st / 2nd gear pull and you will be convinced!
Usually head up that way a couple times a year for some youth sporting events. Use to hit Bolingbrook and Lemont at least once a year, right around the corner from you.

Granted there is usually snow on the ground when I make my way up there. Might be nice to head up there for a car show during the fall before it gets crappy out.

Venompower

Reaction score
Usually head up that way a couple times a year for some youth sporting events. Use to hit Bolingbrook and Lemont at least once a year, right around the corner from you.

Granted there is usually snow on the ground when I make my way up there. Might be nice to head up there for a car show during the fall before it gets crappy out.
If you can swing it the Chicagoland Mustang Club is having our season closer on Saturday, October 9th at Bob Rohrman Ford in Schaumburg. If that doesn't work the season opener next summer would be one to shoot for... the openers usually have 150+ Mustangs. This year it was combined with Blue Oval Media's "Bleed Ford Blue Fest."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.