97 Cobra build/rebuild

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Well its been a while to say the least...

Decided I do not want to throw a ton of money into this car. Would rather just rebuild and dump money into a bigger pit at a later point.

Purchased:
Forged H-Beam Rods
Flat Top Pistons
Clevite High Performance Rod and Main Bearings

Had the block bored .020 over.
Complete Head Job (great sounding I know), resurfaced, new seals, springs, valves the whole bit.
Balanced the Crank, rods and pistons.

Today I finally got my butt back into gear and started making a list and ordering the remaining required items to complete this rebuild. If I forgot anything please jump in and let me know something I am missing or will need. It will be greatly appreciated!

Summit Racing - $114.99 for the following
Head Gaskets - FelPro
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Ford Racing Performance Head Bolts

Advanced Auto Parts - $143 after a coupon for the following (All FelPro)
Valve Cover Gaskets Included/ Spark Plug Seals
Timing Cover Gasket Incl/ Crankshaft Seal
Oil Pan Gasket
Rear Main Seal
Oil Filter Housing to Block Gasket

MMR - $190
Main Cap Side Bolt kit
Ford Performance SVT High Volume Oil Pump w/ Pick up tube

Trying to prep and get everything ordered and delivered before starting the reassemble.

Still to order list includes :
Intake Gaskets (Upper and Lower)
New Clutch kit
Long Tube Headers and Midpipe (I have a Bassani O/R X pipe that was used for 2 months if anyone is interested)
New Idler Pulley
New Starter

Anything else anyone can think of I am missing?

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Well I forgot to post this the other night but I went out to assemble the rods and pistons and ended up putting the crank in and placing all the pistons in the cylinders and torquing everything down. Oops
AAB29639-0A31-4C2D-A166-638542DABC60.jpeg C4F1A535-4FF9-4109-8326-6889E1CA2BA8.jpeg 276A6C3C-D4D0-4B85-97CE-BB09FD9AF760.jpeg

Had to work the past four nights. 6pm-6am so nothing has been done since Wednesday night. Planning on getting the bottom end buttoned up and putting the heads on in the next couple of days.

Right before work tonight the neighbor came over and told me he backed into the wife’s Denali. Just adding more to the list which is why this car never gets the attention it needs.

8F5D0349-18C7-43F9-90A8-E0967940E86F.jpeg 2BA14D5A-F336-4F56-8002-0A98DF09E466.jpeg 0D3D4B3D-BD2F-49BA-9E5C-7E7AC7375CCD.jpeg

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Looking at the top of the block, which holes are for coolant and which are for oil?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Nice build going on. Good to see another sn95 in illinois

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Looking at the top of the block, which holes are for coolant and which are for oil?

I am not 100% sure of that. Definitely a question for someone with more knowledge than myself.

Nice build going on. Good to see another sn95 in illinois

What part of Illinois you from?

Tough break for the Denali. At least the neighbor fessed up.

He is a retired Police Chief I wonder if that had something to do with it or the cameras on the house pointing at the driveway. Either way yes it was nice for him to come let me know he smashed my car.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
From Decatur

Not far at all. I have several friends from up that way.

Not Cobra related but the neighbor tried to "pretend" he didn't hit my Denali when I gave him the Estimate for repair. Not sure if he has dementia or Alzheimer's but he is 82 years old. He ended up calling his Insurance Company and admitting fault. $2000 worth of damage to the Denali. Not sure how much to his car. Getting it fixed next week.

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have one of those moments you realized you forgot to do something?

4D474F06-F6C6-4B91-BC2D-0D0140D1FC52.jpeg

Yep I did. I definitely forgot to install the thrust bearing spacer piece for the block side between the block and the end of the crankshaft.

4FD34F95-70A1-4B2D-A916-144082C3E6A6.jpeg

So I had to take it all back apart to put that little guy in. So we just have a crank installed again. And now that I have the pistons and rods back out I think I’ve decided to go a different route with pistons. Think I have been talking to White95 to much and now I’m indecisive and keep changing my mind.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Anyone have one of those moments you realized you forgot to do something?

View attachment 7391

Yep I did. I definitely forgot to install the thrust bearing spacer piece for the block side between the block and the end of the crankshaft.

View attachment 7392

So I had to take it all back apart to put that little guy in. So we just have a crank installed again. And now that I have the pistons and rods back out I think I’ve decided to go a different route with pistons. Think I have been talking to White95 to much and now I’m indecisive and keep changing my mind.
That sucks
That moon part of the thrust bearing is important
At least you caught that
Majin if you didn't

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I waited to post this update after having a pretty crappy week.

So I took it all apart to place the second piece to the thrust bearing. Had the pistons and rods sitting on top of an old dresser waiting to be restored by the wife. Had a bag covering them with a box on top as a hard shell protection barrier.

Well as hard as I tried to protect these parts I still managed to miss a critical step...blocking my wife from accessing the area. She went to move the dresser and somehow managed to knock the box off and one of the pistons fell and hit the ground causing a decent knick/dent on the top rim. These were just hypereutectic flat top replacements .020 over from ModMax. $280ish for the set.

So I took this as a sign and ordered a set of Mahle Forged .020 over Flat Top Pistons to replace the original plan. They came in the mail today. Just ran out of time to throw them in. However tomorrow.....it’s going back together.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice work . I gotta dig in my spare cobra engine to put some nice rods and pistons in it .

OP
OP
88stang88

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Been a while since I have had anything to update on. Nothing major at the moment but I did receive some goodies in the mail today!

BBK Ceramic LT Headers.jpg

BBK O-R X Pipe LT.jpg

They are obviously not new but new to me. Since the engine is out I have decided we might as well add Long Tubes in.

Ceramic Coated BBK LT's and BBK O/R Xpipe for $575 shipped.

Ordered a new McLeod Lightweight flywheel and McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch Kit. Should be here in a few days.

I plan on putting some time in on Friday reassembling the engine but likely wont be done until the next set of days off. For me that looks like maybe the end of the month unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online