97 GT, worth it? advice please

FenderStrat

Reaction score
Hey all. . . I'm new to the forums. . . been reading the forums for a few days though, pretty nice site ya got here. ANYWAY...

I've been wanting to start a stang project and finally have somewhat of a budget to do it. My budget is 4,000 dollars and I think I found the perfect car. . but wanted some opinions on it.

It's a 97 GT, 5spd, 120,000 miles. . . clean title, but has been wrecked. . when wrecked the front bumper was crushed and right side fender, exploding the airbags. . . the front bumper and right fender have been replaced. . no frame damage. . i've test drove it. . . drives fine. The asking price is 2,500 . . . here are the problems with it. . .

Needs new windshield
Needs back rear tires, front tires are about due too
Front replacement bumper came from donor gt and does not match color of car, needs repainted
The interior door panels are really loose and look pretty worn out, and cracked in a few spots
The front leather seats are absolutely THRASHED. . . cracked and worn to the extreme
The airbags have not been replaced but rather they just decided to gorilla glue the steering wheel back together and the passenger side dash piece back in

the good:
has flowmaster dual cat back with h pipe
4" cowl hood, which does match body (lol)
rebuilt transmission with documentation
meh, 120K on motor. . . no leaks, no knocks, starts and idles smooth
still has clean title

Therefore. . my dilemma is. . . to eventually get this thing looking the way I want it to . . . within my budget. . . can I do it?

Remember...budget = 4K, car = 2.5K . . . 1.5K to work with :)

I KNOW IT'S BEEN LONG BUT I NEED SOME HELP HERE. . . .

any advice and suggestions is highly appreciated

thanks
-Will

el docum

Reaction score
Hello Will,

In fact the price seem OK, but you got to spend money on it, for the tire it's not trouble you can find used tire in good shape for around $400,00.

But the others problems :

Needs new windshield
Needs back rear tires, front tires are about due too
Front replacement bumper came from donor gt and does not match color of car, needs repainted
The interior door panels are really loose and look pretty worn out, and cracked in a few spots
The front leather seats are absolutely THRASHED. . . cracked and worn to the extreme
The airbags have not been replaced but rather they just decided to gorilla glue the steering wheel back together and the passenger side dash piece back in

I think there's a lot of money to spend, if you can find a used interior it's will be the best, the paint job for the bumper will be expensive if you don't have help to do it, I'm not sure it's the best choice, maybe you can search for a 94-95 GT, you probably can find one in better shape for around the same price.

F.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think if you looked around you could probably find a nice high mileage coupe for 4k thats in much better shape...
I also wouldn't pay $2500 for that car you described...sounds like a 1k car at best. Make them a low ball offer.

powerfreak

Reaction score
I agree...sounds like the price is too high for that car. I got my 96GT for 4k w/ 111,000 miles and it needed nothing. If you really like the car, see if you can get it cheaper...if not, I'd look around. The biggest mistake you can make is not looking around to see what else you can get in your price range. Also, if you want something to build up, see if you can find a 94-95 w/ a 5.0.

ALSO, IMO...I don't think I'd buy any car with gorilla glue anywhere on it...sounds like the owner likes to half-ass things.

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
I would pass on it myself. Unless you can get him to go lower. Then buy it to part it out.

Magic

Reaction score
I would have to agree and say that to keep looking as well.
Im in the same boat too, with a limited budget. If I came across a car like that, I wouldnt even second guess it, Id keep looking!

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
I paid about 1500 for my 98 GT with 187,000 miles...of course it had a blown motor, but it had quite a bit of mods when i bought it...

-KYB struts all around
-FRPP drilled and slotted rotors
-Flowmaster 40's
-Russel Braided brake lines
-Shift kit and trans cooler

I paid 850 for a motor from a 96 GT with 60k...the seller gave me alot of nice parts with the motor....T45 Trans, 96 Kmember, radiator, AC, alt, etc......paid 175 for a Mac O/r h pipe, and 220 for a K&N FIPK, plus 140 for FRPP B springs....so i have a little over 3k into the car, did the swap myself. The interior is decent, tears on the door panels, a hole in th e drivers bolster....it was a cop car, and it has seen better days......As of today, the chassis has about 200,000 miles....and flexes like crazy.

That coupe is way overpriced. Offer the dude 1k...cause njow these SN95 mustangs are getting super cheap everyday.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
i bought my 96 w/ 52k miles on it, p&p svo heads, svo supercharger, full drag race suspension, cobra front bumper and 4"cowl hood for $2500.

keep looking or offer $1000

powerfreak

Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
i bought my 96 w/ 52k miles on it, p&p svo heads, svo supercharger, full drag race suspension, cobra front bumper and 4"cowl hood for $2500.

r u serious??? what was wrong with it?

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

bought my 96 w/ 52k miles on it, p&p svo heads, svo supercharger, full drag race suspension, cobra front bumper and 4"cowl hood for $2500.

Price of Mustang seem very low to me in your area, In Canada it's not easy to find a GT 94-95 below $7000,00 U.S., I pay around $9000.00 last year for my GT whit 30,000 miles.

For $4000,00 here we can just find V6 94-95, and even at this price they need some repair.

F.

Magic

Reaction score
el docum said:
Hello,

bought my 96 w/ 52k miles on it, p&p svo heads, svo supercharger, full drag race suspension, cobra front bumper and 4"cowl hood for $2500.

Price of Mustang seem very low to me in your area, In Canada it's not easy to find a GT 94-95 below $7000,00 U.S., I pay around $9000.00 last year for my GT whit 30,000 miles.

For $4000,00 here we can just find V6 94-95, and even at this price they need some repair.

F.

Where in Canada are you BC? Quebec? The mustangs are a lot cheaper here in Ontario, judging by the prices your saying....

zyzygy

Reaction score
Got my 96GT with 106K for 5,500 and even though it was in perfect shape, I've spent close to that in mods and PI swap, hold out for one in good condition and then save to modify it, one tends to get desperate; but ask these guys, a project takes: time, patience and lots of luck!

el docum

Reaction score
Magic said:
el docum said:
Hello,

F.

Where in Canada are you BC? Quebec? The mustangs are a lot cheaper here in Ontario, judging by the prices your saying....

Hello,

I'm from Quebec, it's definitely higher here, but our Mustang got generally a lower mileage because most of us keep her Mustang in the garage for Winter season.

You must have to pay the price for a real clean Mustang, of course it's possible to find some low budget 5.0 L but generally theres not in good shape.

F.

ck5.0

Reaction score
Got my 96 for 5500 with 110. The car is perfect. Untouch stock. The guy had all of the service manuals for everything, even every oil change. I have the freakn' window sticker for it for christ sake. The car actually sounds kinda shitty. Hold out for something else.

Magic

Reaction score
el docum said:
Hello,

I'm from Quebec, it's definitely higher here, but our Mustang got generally a lower mileage because most of us keep her Mustang in the garage for Winter season.

You must have to pay the price for a real clean Mustang, of course it's possible to find some low budget 5.0 L but generally theres not in good shape.

F.

I know what you mean about a the old foxbody 5.oh cars...a clean one here demands some good money....the way I see it, the price you pay for a clean fox, I can spend it on an SN95, which has 4 wheel disc brakes, nicer interior etc....

tooslow

Reaction score
when looking for my car, i spent close to a year just searching for the car i wanted. went to every mustang forum, every classifides listings, car lots, the works.

one day walking out of wal-mart there was a 98 rio red GT with 25k miles on it with a for sale sign that said 6,500 parked next to my sisters civic.

guess whats parked next to my sisters civic right now?