97 Rio Red- Paint match mirrors or no?

97RioRedV6

Reaction score
Ive got a rio red 97 v6. Im trying to convince myself on whether i want to paint match the mirrors, or go with a black. They keep fading no matter how much i try to keep them protected, so theyll have to be painted and cleared to keep this from happening. I'm very meticulous with my vehicle so this fading is driving me insane. Any suggestions?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
plastic is going to fade over some period of time no matter what chemicals are applied..armorall and whatnot just slows the process..so yeah painting is the only sure way to keep it from happening

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wow you know you're car is huge in the mustang world when you type in "95r" and the username pops up befor eyou can finish typing

riosnake1.jpg

google wasn't coming up with anything quickly for black painted mirrors so here's mine..i know it's not rio red

5litrarag

Reaction score
Eff it...I'll be the oddball and say paint them trim black. I personally love the way that trim black looks when its freshly done. And against a red car it really pops. When I finish my vert and start on the resto on my Cobra it for sure be getting all fresh trim paint.

edit - since the guy above me was looking for black mirrors and couldnt find any... Here's the ones I did for my white car. Dont think I have any close ups of them on the car yet.

2011-11-13_16-54-24_326

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
I like the mirrors both ways, but I think the black really pops out on red and yellow cars. Again, it's your choice!

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Eff it...I'll be the oddball and say paint them trim black. I personally love the way that trim black looks when its freshly done. And against a red car it really pops. When I finish my vert and start on the resto on my Cobra it for sure be getting all fresh trim paint.

best shit in the world

sem-trim-paint-aerosol.gif

5litrarag

Reaction score
I found one... not a close up, but I think it illustrates my point. Its hard to beat fresh black trim.

20130420_215148.jpg

joekd

Reaction score
I vote to paint match, did this when my car was laser red and when I repainted it redfire I had them matched again

5litrarag

Reaction score
best shit in the world

SEM is great, no doubt... but people shouldnt be afraid to try out the Duplicolor Trim Black in case they cant get their hands on SEM. I used the Duplicolor on the trim and a couple underhood pieces on my car and for 6 bucks each its a great deal IMO. I even used it to black out the chrome trim on my G8. Good stuff.

Used it on the power pipe on my motor too, well see how it holds up to heat....

20130610_201202.jpg

chris91

Reaction score
Body Color FTW.

Like I tell EVERYONE, stop using tire products on plastic. You can use normal car wax on them and the wiper cowl and they will look 1,000X better. TRUST ME!! Just dont let it dry, apply it and immediately wipe off. Itll last for quite a while. I do this all the time detailing cars.

OP
OP

97RioRedV6

Reaction score
See, I do alot of detailing. Ive got various products ive used, but it just keeps drying out ather quickly. Ive used Chemical Guys products, Ive used the Back to Black stuff, even got weird and tried the peanut butter solution. (dont judge me) But like I said everything just dries out and I'm afraid its going to eventually dry it out so much its going to crack so I have to paint it. Ive painted quite a few things before, so thats not a problem to do. On the SEM product or the Duplicolor trim paint, does it require a base coat or prime coat? I like the kind of matte/satin look better on red than I do gloss, though I can produce a hell of a gloss finish. Just need some motivation/convincing.

Thanks for all the replie guys! Rock on.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It won't crack..it'll just get faded to the max but all of us probably won't be around to talk about it by the time it cracks

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

5litrarag

Reaction score
The duplicolor just takes good prep similar to any other paint. On the stuff I did, I washed them with soap & water, let them dry completely, hit it with tack rag and then went for it with the paint. About 3-4 really light coats about 20 min apart, which were probably more than I needed because when it lays down, it gets really flat and looks great. Probably could have done 3 coats max but I'm not very good with paint so I wanted to make sure I got good coverage. Let it dry and you should get what I posted in that first pic above.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
best shit in the world

With this stuff would you have to sand down the mirror housings? Since they are textured from the factory. I'd prefer not to have to do all that lol. I'm wondering if I can just take them off and spray them with this and call it a day?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your mirrors are textured?

And yes just scuff the mirrors with a red scuff pad..clean it..spray

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I vote for a black finish.

All of the black trim on my 2001 Cobra still looks new. The secret? minimize my Cobra'a sun exposure as much as possible by parking in my indoor garage and if I do have to park it outside for a while, I throw on a car cover. I have already worn out two car covers to sun rot, but its better to replace car covers than to have the sun's rays trashing the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online