? About Claybar

ripper

Reaction score
When you claybar your car does it remove the wax? I took Trav's advise and got some car wash (i was usin dish detergent lol) and man what a difference. I got this stuff called Kit. It has Carnuba wax in it and man does that car shine. I saw the claybar there too. I was just wonderin if i should do it or not. I got lots of time on my hands hobblin around now lol.

Thanks Trav good lookin out :thumb:

FASTANG

Reaction score
A clay bar is to used after all wax is removed, to remove the contaminants that
have bonded themself to the paint. If you do it with wax on the vehicle, it may
not remove the wax, but the whole act of using the clay bar will provide little to
no benefit. Just my .02

lrall

Reaction score
^^ agreed, most(correct me if im wrong) use Dawn(to get wax off) of something, then claybar, then rewax/glaze it, so as to not trap the shit underneath the wax. No offense but its kind of irrelevant if it takes it off or not, its not used like that. all in a process my friend

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
clay bar does a number of things.

removes wax, contaminats and other BS on the car.

..i try to clay my car as much as possible because i wax so often and its good to remove all the old wax before heavy detailing

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I personally feel that the only way to really remove the wax is through polishing. A claybar will just shave of imperfections in the paint, not take off wax. If it did take off wax, you are either pushing too hard, or the wax is super soft and would come off if you wiped a rag across the paint anyways. Claybarring should be gentle and should not be removing wax. :)

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
I personally feel that the only way to really remove the wax is through polishing. A claybar will just shave of imperfections in the paint, not take off wax. If it did take off wax, you are either pushing too hard, or the wax is super soft and would come off if you wiped a rag across the paint anyways. Claybarring should be gentle and should not be removing wax. :)

sorry but you are wrong. The whole point of the clay bar is to take off all the wax, polish or product on the car along with contamination. Clay bar does not remove any imperfections in paint. If just seems that way but its accually removing all the wax that the imperfections were in.

Clay bar is supposed to remove wax...thats why those claybar kits come with wax to use after.

when detailing you wash the car to clean it, then you clay bar the car to take off all the little BS and old wax that was left on the car to have a clean surface to polish and wax. Polishing removes scratches and brings life to the paint and then you wax.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos_clay_bar.aspx

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:

sorry but you are wrong. The whole point of the clay bar is to take off all the wax, polish or product on the car along with contamination. Clay bar does not remove any imperfections in paint. If just seems that way but its accually removing all the wax that the imperfections were in.

Clay bar is supposed to remove wax...thats why those claybar kits come with wax to use after.

when detailing you wash the car to clean it, then you clay bar the car to take off all the little BS and old wax that was left on the car to have a clean surface to polish and wax. Polishing removes scratches and brings life to the paint and then you wax.

What kind of wax are you using? There's no way a clay bar should be removing much if any wax. Think about it, the clay is being lubricated with a quick detailer or soap that is very easy on wax to begin with. Second, the claybar is to be gently stroked along the paint. There is very little friction.

If a claybar removes wax, does wiping your hand across the paint take off wax too?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:

What kind of wax are you using? There's no way a clay bar should be removing much if any wax. Think about it, the clay is being lubricated with a quick detailer or soap that is very easy on wax to begin with. Second, the claybar is to be gently stroked along the paint. There is very little friction.

If a claybar removes wax, does wiping your hand across the paint take off wax too?

watch the video link i gave you. Read some more. The point of the lube is so it can glad over the paint while taking off all the wax and what not. The way the claybar takes off the wax is because its clay and everything gets stuck to it.

....if clay bar isnt for remving wax than what is...polishing?...because polishing just adds more product.

The clay bar makes you car completly bare of everything of the paint, including wax....thats why when you buy a clay bar kit it comes with wax to put on after you take all of yours off.

...Most of the scratches you see on the car are not in the paint, its in the Coat of wax on the top. The coat of wax can get swirlmarks in it from drying and such. When you use a claybar it removes that wax that has scratches and swirls in it. Thats why after you clay bar, you paint looks better.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:

watch the video link i gave you. Read some more. The point of the lube is so it can glad over the paint while taking off all the wax and what not. The way the claybar takes off the wax is because its clay and everything gets stuck to it.

....if clay bar isnt for remving wax than what is...polishing?...because polishing just adds more product.

The clay bar makes you car completly bare of everything of the paint, including wax....thats why when you buy a clay bar kit it comes with wax to put on after you take all of yours off.

...Most of the scratches you see on the car are not in the paint, its in the Coat of wax on the top. The coat of wax can get swirlmarks in it from drying and such. When you use a claybar it removes that wax that has scratches and swirls in it. Thats why after you clay bar, you paint looks better.

#1 How is clay any different from something touching your paint? You make it sound like the wax "sticks" to the clay bar

#2 Try this: Wax the car. Put some water on the car. Watch how nicely it beads. It does this because water is a polar molecule with strong properties of cohesion and is being repelled by the wax. Now use the claybar. Then put some more water on the car again. I guarantee water will still bead nicely because the wax is still there.

And for the record, we're not fighting, were discussing. :)

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:

#1 How is clay any different from something touching your paint? You make it sound like the wax "sticks" to the clay bar

#2 Try this: Wax the car. Put some water on the car. Watch how nicely it beads. It does this because water is a polar molecule with strong properties of cohesion and is being repelled by the wax. Now use the claybar. Then put some more water on the car again. I guarantee water will still bead nicely because the wax is still there.

And for the record, we're not fighting, were discussing. :)

Yes, were are not fighting, were are discussing :)

....I have done this, it still kinda beads but not like when its waxed....

Did you watch the adams video?

....When you wax or put product on the car it dries and sticks to the paint. Wax accually dries kinda hard to protect the paint. But clay bar is so sticky that it picks up the microscopic particles on the paint, this includes Wax, polish, sealant or anything. i found this link thats confirms my information

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

this is from the FAQ section of the page.

Q6. Will clay remove my wax?
A6. In most cases, clay will "scrub off" wax protection. Some paint sealants are hard enough to withstand being cleaned with clay, but most are not.

right now i am using Wolfgang Deep-Glass Selant as my top coat.

Q2. If I use clay do I still need to polish my paint?
A3. Yes. Clay will not remove swirl marks, scratches or etching from acid rain or hard water spots. Paint polish is still required to remove these paint defects. If your paint is new or like-new, detailing clay will significantly reduce the amount of polishing required to keep your paint in good condition.

96blackstang

Reaction score
Ive used it many times on my black car without removing the wax and it takes all the crap off the paint...it removed paint overspray that I couldnt even get off with rubbing compounds...

But the last time I used it I spent 15 hours on detailing it, I started with the clay bar and then did about 3 or 4 different compounds (getting to the finest one last) with a buffer to get a brand new shine on it...I beleive in it!! But I only have found for me that the mothers clay bar works wonders...I tried some off brands and they sucked...

thats just my 2 cents

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
This is exactly what i want handz to remove paint swirls. Do i have to use a buffer on it or can i do it by hand? I thought the same thing that the swirls were in my wax.

And yes 96blkstang that is the claybar i saw on the shelf it was Mothers.

Ok so are these the steps to do:

1. Wash car with dish detergent like fastang said to remove most of the old wax

2. claybar to to remove paint crap and whatever wax swirls are left

3. re-wax with mcquires (add more than one coat?)

invest in a rotary polisher?

FASTANG

Reaction score
Stevo said:
This is exactly what i want handz to remove paint swirls. Do i have to use a buffer on it or can i do it by hand? I thought the same thing that the swirls were in my wax.

And yes 96blkstang that is the claybar i saw on the shelf it was Mothers.

Ok so are these the steps to do:

1. Wash car with dish detergent like fastang said to remove most of the old wax

2. claybar to to remove paint crap and whatever wax swirls are left

3. re-wax with mcquires (add more than one coat?)

invest in a rotary polisher?

In my thoughts, if you are using a good product you only need to apply one coat of wax.
But, again it's all in the process prior to waxing as to how brilliant the shine is. The more
time prepping the surface prior to waxing, the better the results will be. Also, I would
invest in a ratary. I bought a Porter Cable 7424 about 3 years ago for about $125
and love it. Also, get some good pads and you'll be set for many hours of fun washing the Pony.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
get a pc 7424 you will be very happy.

now as far as clay removing wax id say most of the claybars do. there are different grades of clay (fine, course etc) so it really depends on what clay you get. i would recommend blue clay magic. i used mequires 1st and it was good but then i tried clay magic the next time and id say it is better.

i also say 2 coats of wax are a good idea. most of the time you are not adding much more wax to the car but you are making sure that it is all even and properly covered

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
Ok i think i got it if not please tell me i dont wanna fuck this up. At my age this isnt easy shit LOL :hammer:

1. Run over to Home Depot get a poter caple 7424 (hopefully it comes with pads if not ill pm you guys about that)

2. Wash it with dish detergent to get most of the swirled shit wax off.

3. BLUE clay magic with buffer to take the rest of the swirls out and clean paint.

4. Wax twice.

I should have gotten a buffer a long time ago but i was a little leary of using one. I didnt want to screw up the finish. My car isnt perfect there are some minor scratches here and there but overall its nice. The friggin white primer shows were the small scratches are. If i can ever find a really good guy to fix them ill have it done but ive asked around and so far most of these guys sound like goofballs. If any of you nj guys know of someone plz let me know.

Thnx for the info good stuff :thumb:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CLAY BAR DOES NOT REMOVE PAINT IMPERECTIONS!!!!

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the porter cable is an orbital sander. It is very good at getting out moderate/heavy swirls as well as finish polishing. Rotary buffers are different and much more difficult to use as they have the ability to "cut" through the clear faster. They also are notorious for leaving buffer trails especially noticable on dark colors if the user is rushing or doesn't finish off with a finishing polish.

If you want to invest in a rotary. It is usually recommended to get a hood or something that doesn't matter at a junk yard and practice on that before you move onto a car's paint that matters.

SRT_Handz

It kind of sounds like you are contradicting yourself saying that a claybar doesn't remove imperfections but then saying that it removes swirls in the wax. :dunno:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
claybar doesnt remove imperfections (swirls, micromarring, scratches etc) it removes contaminants like tar, hard water spots, tree sap, overspray etc.

the pc is a dual action random orbital buffer. it is much safer than a rotary. with a rotary it is a lot quicker to remove imperfections but it is very easy to damage paint if you dont know what your doing while with the pc and other random orbitals you cannot burn through the paint.

you are not gonna want to use the white pad the pc comes with. spend some money on an good assortment of lake country, edge or other quality pads.

claying is done by hand. you use the clay plus a lubricant (there are "special clay lubricants, or you can use a quick detailer or soapy water). all it is for lubrication because w/o it the clay will stick to the car and scratch it up worse. you basically "rub" the paint with the clay after spray the car with w/e lubricant you use. it takes a lot of elbow grease to do a whole car (especially if it hasnt been done before) but it is well worth it

so what you wanna do is

1. wash and remove old built up wax
2. clay (takes some time but well worth it)
3. Polish with the pc 7424 using good pads and a good polish (many many options if you need more help we will cover that later, there are lots of factors into product selection etc)
4. 2 coats of a good quality wax (i have tried both nattys blue, and p21s/s100 and was very satisfied with both) or a sealant.

another thing you could do after polishing but before waxing is applying a glaze. at first i never did but now i use rmg and it does really make a difference.

Detailing a car can be done many ways using a variety of products. it just depends on how far you are willing to go and what kind of shape the paint is in.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Red96GT said:
SRT_Handz

It kind of sounds like you are contradicting yourself saying that a claybar doesn't remove imperfections but then saying that it removes swirls in the wax. :dunno:

thats because there is a difference between imperfections in the wax coat and imperetions in the paint :rollinglaugh:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:
SRT_Handz

thats because there is a difference between imperfections in the wax coat and imperetions in the paint :rollinglaugh:

I'm still not buying the whole "claybar removes wax" thing. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.