? About Claybar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Red96GT said:
SRT_Handz

It kind of sounds like you are contradicting yourself saying that a claybar doesn't remove imperfections but then saying that it removes swirls in the wax. :dunno:

thats because there is a difference between imperfections in the wax coat and imperetions in the paint :rollinglaugh:

You guys are close.
the wax really just seals and reflects the finish of the paint below.
so the better polished it is, the more it shines.
the wax coat is very thin, it's not like a protective coating or anything. but id does keep things from adhearing to the paint, and should feel silky smooth when your done.

a stripping wash for prep should remove the old wax, most of it anyway. whatever is left the polish will remove.
dish soap, or wash soap and some degreaser is good stripping wash.
then on you go, it's a good days work, but way worth it when your done.

clay bar removes surface contaminates, not surface imprefections, like swirl marks and & oxidation.
that's what the polish works out. some polishes also fill in the grooves a bit, giving a smoother surface appearance.

don't forget to polish / seal your wheels too!

BTW, there's a number of threads about clay and polishing ect in the Shine Shop thread... :boink:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ive never used a pc or any buffer on my car.. do they cut down on the time it takes to polish and such on the car? and how hard are they to use? if im capable of doing it without messing up the black paint on my car, i may invest in one..

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
they seriously cut down the time to polish and do a much better job that can be done by hand. Your hand will fall off before you could do what a pc can. Very user friendly and unlike a high speed rotary you can not damage the paint (unless you are an dumb ass and if so then just sell your stang and get a civic ;D )

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
so i should invest in one?

i was going to clay today because i ran out of time yesterday.. but i woke up at like 7 (was going to do it before it got hot) and it looked like rain.. so i went to sleep, woke up at 1.. it was sunny as could be.. i was pissed.. but w/e.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
hell yes. one of the best investments i have made. I bet with your black you will be very happy with the results. DFG shows imperfections about as bad as black

S

scarface

I noticed no difference after clay barring my car, but the prior owner probably took care of the paint.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
my car is just getting sickening... i can scuff the paint of my car with my fingernails...

this weekend was the first time i actually got to wash it off in about a month.. my old job didn't allow me any time to do it.

i just want to get my car protected and shining again before this summer weather starts beating down on it.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
scarface said:
I noticed no difference after clay barring my car, but the prior owner probably took care of the paint.

you should have seen my 95. the previous owners, plus being old as it is made a difference. Man i need a paint job so i can put it in the sturgis mustang rally on labor day :-[

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
just a question.. where do i get it from? i looked at lowes and home depot just now and couldn't find it on there site.. is it in the store?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya i think they have them. Also look for a 7336. same thing just different counter weight. i think the guys have said they find them cheaper @ lowes/ home depot.

maybe check ebay too :dunno:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
so 7424 or the 7336?

thanks for the help mean

7426 is the easy way to get it like I did. The 7336 you will have to a different countreweight I believe. And unless your paint Tx is super super thin, you shouldn't have a problem with it doing anything bad. Just don't get too carried away with an agressive polish and youll be fine.

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
Ok so i go out get everything i need (ecept the buffer). I take my time and do a nice job. Im wipin the second coat of wax down for the third time (comes out like glass) What a difference! The car looks wet and shines like a friggin mirror. I turn my fuckin back for 1 second a dam seagull flys over and shits right on the god damn hood. Not just like a little bird poop i mean like a hole damn flounder came out his ass. I was so friggin pissed i yelled to my son to get my 12ga and stand on the roof and shoot any friggin bird he sees while im doin the friggin hood over. It was like this french fry eatin dam seagull was sittin somewere waiting for me to get done.

Oh then i want to take a pic to show you guys how nice it came out and say thanx and all. Out of nowere this monsoon moves in LMAO. I grab my cover and throw it over the car. So i guess ill get em latter. But thanx guys it really did make a big difference.

End of rant :rant:

Roger Wilco over and out

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
im jealous! i wanna get this done so bad.. so it definitely looks 100x better? or a 1000x? maybe 1000000000x? hmmmm let me know

and i went to lowes and home depot. neither had the PC orbital buffer.. they both only had like 1 brand and it was ryobi and true flow or something...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol, that's murphy's law, damn birds!!

:lol:

I really like my PC.
I burned up a cheapie from pep boys before getting.
Much nicer.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
7336 has a 6 inch counterweight and a 7424 has a 5 inch counter weight. 7426 doesnt exist but i imagine you meant 7424. i use 6" edge pads and i am gonna get a 6" counter weight to see the difference. lots of guys use either and dont notice much difference :dunno:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
7336 has a 6 inch counterweight and a 7424 has a 5 inch counter weight. 7426 doesnt exist but i imagine you meant 7424. i use 6" edge pads and i am gonna get a 6" counter weight to see the difference. lots of guys use either and dont notice much difference :dunno:

Yes, I meant 7424 thank you.

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
im jealous! i wanna get this done so bad.. so it definitely looks 100x better? or a 1000x? maybe 1000000000x? hmmmm let me know

and i went to lowes and home depot. neither had the PC orbital buffer.. they both only had like 1 brand and it was ryobi and true flow or something...

Yea 1000x better. Something you wanna do at least once a year. I had a lot of water spots and small stuff like that and it took it out. Didnt get all the swirls out but its probubly because I didnt use a buffer on it. I did it all by hand which is no easy chore. Be sure you can dedicate a day to this it takes time but well worth it. Im going to get the buffer and do it again before she goes away for the winter.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
guys, def. get a pc. i use mine all the time and it has brought me in an extra 1200 on the side in a month and half. once you get a lil practice under your belt you will love it

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
where did you guys get these at? Lowes nor Home Depot had a buffers.. okay sorry, each store had 1 buffer....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online