About to throw this TB/plenum setup in the trash

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
All I did was unplug the battery and it pretty much fixed it. I will probably have to do as you say and do the full idle relearn. I guess I meant to say clear the kam. I would use the method you described last where you tune the idle to a certain rpm. With an aftermarket throttle body there could be inconsistencies with construction that will make using a feeler gauge pretty much useless. Here is the link again, hopefully it works this time.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...ol-restrictor-plate-egr-restrictor-plate.html

I read your thread and I did look into those IAC restrictor plates. However upon further reading, people were saying that it is more of a band aid than anything else. When I am running the stock tune, the car does pop and rumble when decelerating and that's what I love. When running the tune is when it doesn't decelerate and just rumbles down so slow.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I read your thread and I did look into those IAC restrictor plates. However upon further reading, people were saying that it is more of a band aid than anything else. When I am running the stock tune, the car does pop and rumble when decelerating and that's what I love. When running the tune is when it doesn't decelerate and just rumbles down so slow.

Hmm I see your dilemma. I can see how it would be a bandaid because it physically resticts airflow into the motor unlike the iac where the ecu will vary the plunger to control airflow. Like I said I would set the idle to a certain rpm with the iac unplugged to help alleviate your problem. This is a very common problem with these cars but nobody has a definitive answer for this. It seems to me that tolerances in throttle body construction varies from one to another which allows air to flow past the throttle blade even when its closed. This is exaserbated by the larger throttle body allowing more air in. This is all a theory but Id like to know for myself what the problem really is.

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Hmm I see your dilemma. I can see how it would be a bandaid because it physically resticts airflow into the motor unlike the iac where the ecu will vary the plunger to control airflow. Like I said I would set the idle to a certain rpm with the iac unplugged to help alleviate your problem. This is a very common problem with these cars but nobody has a definitive answer for this. It seems to me that tolerances in throttle body construction varies from one to another which allows air to flow past the throttle blade even when its closed. This is exaserbated by the larger throttle body allowing more air in. This is all a theory but Id like to know for myself what the problem really is.

Read this and let me know what you think. This guy seemed very smart and was very reputable on the modded mustangs board.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php?frm=TBInitAdjust01.htm

07GtS197

Reaction score
Read this and let me know what you think. This guy seemed very smart and was very reputable on the modded mustangs board.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php?frm=TBInitAdjust01.htm

Oh wow I forgot about that. His screen name was CliffyK and I think he was an engineer. Hes a very knowledgable guy so Id follow his instructions. Imo Id set the throttle set screw by rpm with the iac unplugged but he knows what hes talking about more than I. Give it a shot and report back what effect it has.

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Oh wow I forgot about that. His screen name was CliffyK and I think he was an engineer. Hes a very knowledgable guy so Id follow his instructions. Imo Id set the throttle set screw by rpm with the iac unplugged but he knows what hes talking about more than I. Give it a shot and report back what effect it has.
Well that's the way I did set it when I set it at the beginning of all this a few weeks ago. It helped but didn't clear up the issue.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Well that's the way I did set it when I set it at the beginning of all this a few weeks ago. It helped but didn't clear up the issue.

Oh ok, in that case Id try setting the rpm instead of the stop screw as itll be a sure fire way of setting the base idle.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The worst thing that can happen is they cant find anything tune related and youll go back to the stock tune for now. Im confident theyll find something in the tune though.

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Had a new tune sent to me and they claimed that my datalogs looked very good fuel wise but that they tweaked some things. There was absolutely no change with the new tune. I just wish I was smart enough to know what they alter when they write these tunes.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Send me a copy of your datalogs at [email protected]. If you could, datalog idling after its warmed up and hold the throttle for 5 seconds at 2k rpms, them blip the throttle twice with a 10 second delay between them. Ill take a look, Im not a tuner but Ill help if I can.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the first tune I got from bama had my car running so rich/rough I wasn't even about to give them a 2nd chance and limped to to a dyno and then drove home perfectly fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.