About to throw this TB/plenum setup in the trash

Scud2

Reaction score
Just a word of advice my tuner told me. I have a vortech at 10psi and he said anything more than a 70mm throttle body will not gain that much. I had the 70 prior to the vortech. And without the forced induction maybe it's a tad too much. The 70mm may be the way to go. Had that on my car. Never touched the sct tune and no problems. In addition the 3.73 are the way to go!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just a word of advice my tuner told me. I have a vortech at 10psi and he said anything more than a 70mm throttle body will not gain that much. I had the 70 prior to the vortech. And without the forced induction maybe it's a tad too much. The 70mm may be the way to go. Had that on my car. Never touched the sct tune and no problems. In addition the 3.73 are the way to go!

Interesting I thought [MENTION=8860]Win[/MENTION] had shown that by making a custom pipe between the vortech and the TB with a 75 mm(I thought that is what he had) that there was power to be gained?

Scud2

Reaction score
I am sure there is power. But as far as my set up went u was told that to purchase a 75mm the gains would be minimal with the money spent. However my goal was 400 to the wheels. I achieved that so I am good. But with bolt ons my 70 with an aftermarket plenum had no problems.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think it depends on which intake your using. The stock GT/cobra intake is only 70 mm so stickin a 75 on it probably will not help anything. Maybe with trickflow/eddie intake it would make more.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I think it depends on which intake your using. The stock GT/cobra intake is only 70 mm so stickin a 75 on it probably will not help anything. Maybe with trickflow/eddie intake it would make more.

This is exactly right! Everything works together if you create a restriction with a smaller plenum a bigger throttlebody will do nothing, sometimes it will even have negative effects. Also alot of people do home porting smoothing out their air intake routing including the runners in the heads. This is bad! A rough surface helps with mixture and reduces detonation!

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Every dyno result discussion about tb and plenum setups shows the 75mm edges out a few hp over a 70mm on both bolt on engines and especially boosted applications. Quick google search shows it.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Every dyno result discussion about tb and plenum setups shows the 75mm edges out a few hp over a 70mm on both bolt on engines and especially boosted applications. Quick google search shows it.

Im not doubting you, if you reread my post im saying if your tb is bigger than the plenum, and if both are bigger than the manifold it will have no/negative effects. This has also been dyno proven.

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Im not doubting you, if you reread my post im saying if your tb is bigger than the plenum, and if both are bigger than the manifold it will have no/negative effects. This has also been dyno proven.
Oh no lol not directing that at you. It was more in response to scud lol

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Man, how did I miss this thread! Here is my 2 cents, I installed my C&L plenum + Mac 75mm t/b about two years ago on my car. I never had to mess with any tps voltage or screws because on the 96+ they are self adjusting. The only thing that I messed with is the nut for the throttle plate. I adjusted to the point where it closes smoothly so it doesn't cut into the throat of the throttle body if that makes sense. I also replaced my IAC with a brand new one since I had idle surge for about 4-5 years, it finally got on nerves to point where I just put brand new one. No more idle surge...I would start the car in the morning and when it would start to warm up you can hear the engine go few hundred rpms up and back down until the car got into closed loop.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
The IACs are all that way, they get gummed up after a while. I take them off and clean them out every year or so and the problem goes away.

Scud2

Reaction score
Oh no lol not directing that at you. It was more in response to scud lol
100%. I never said that it would not. I said that a few hp for a new throttle body would not have been worth the money at the time. If I was going to up my throttle body it would cost almost 200...for what? Maybe 5-10 HP. I already bought a throttle body before the supercharger. Never said there would not be a gain. But also factory GT is 65mm. Not 70.

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Yeah makes sense, I got it used so that's the only reason I have my setup. Trying to run a NA 4.6, you need every micro horsepower you can get lol.

Scud2

Reaction score
Without a doubt. If I had no budget...then I would not be messing with a 2V...03/04 cobra all day long!

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Yeah makes sense, I got it used so that's the only reason I have my setup. Trying to run a NA 4.6, you need every micro horsepower you can get lol.

Tell me about it! I wish Ford wasn't lazy on the GT platform 20 years ago. They easily could of had 260-290 back in the day if they cared lol. Like nitemare stated and few others the head design is not the weak link. It is more so the intake and cams.

Without a doubt. If I had no budget...then I would not be messing with a 2V...03/04 cobra all day long!

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

I know I will own a terminator some day but I am that type of guy to prove a point haha. I would have a heavily modded GT and lightly modded Cobra, lol.

Scud2

Reaction score
Tell me about it! I wish Ford wasn't lazy on the GT platform 20 years ago. They easily could of had 260-290 back in the day if they cared lol. Like nitemare stated and few others the head design is not the weak link. It is more so the intake and cams.

I know I will own a terminator some day but I am that type of guy to prove a point haha. I would have a heavily modded GT and lightly modded Cobra, lol.
Even better!

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Lol and thats what I have, a lightly modded cobra and a GT on its way to alot of work being done to it.

Great minds think a like! It's easy to make fast car faster but the true is making something mediocre great!

Even better!

2001 Mustang GT
Vortech V3 Supercharged
402 HP 389 Torque

You know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96Mystic1189

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Well guys, just an update on the original situation.

So like I stated earlier, I removed the tune off of the car and put it back to stock and everything cleared up. So after blaming the SCT tunes, I decided to give BAMA a shot just because I hate my CEL light being on because my o2 simulators are trash.

I uploaded the BAMA 93R tune and right away the car started doing the same rpm garbage just like the SCT tune did. At this point I wonder is something wrong with the car. So, I put the stock tune back in again and everything is fine.

So is it possible that these tunes change something with how the IAC operates and mine cant keep up outside of OEM parameters? It all just kind of sucks because both the BAMA tune and the SCT tune really seemed to make the car gain a good bit of pull but the drivability issues make it a pain. Thoughts guys?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online