AC quit working

07GtS197

Reaction score
Did you check the voltage across the pins or negative straight to the battery?

The coil can be checked this way

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Just a quick check
Turn the ac on with car running
Under the air dryer canister there is a line running into the fire wall after a few minutes of running touch that line if frozen you have a block

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Did you check the voltage across the pins or negative straight to the battery?

The coil can be checked this way

Across the pins

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Just a quick check
Turn the ac on with car running
Under the air dryer canister there is a line running into the fire wall after a few minutes of running touch that line if frozen you have a block
The compressor won’t turn on so the line will not get cold.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Post a picture of the gages high and low side
If you can im not there I cant tell whats going on
You may have a block that will not engage the the pressure
Switch
Unplug the canister switch on plug end jumper across that should bypass to kick in compressor

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If you have volts and ground at the compressor connector, and you say the air gap is good, then it sounds like the compressor has gone bad. You could probably just replace the coil and clutch, but it’s a pain to get that clutch on straight with it in the car. You’re better off replacing the whole compressor

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
If you have volts and ground at the compressor connector, and you say the air gap is good, then it sounds like the compressor has gone bad. You could probably just replace the coil and clutch, but it’s a pain to get that clutch on straight with it in the car. You’re better off replacing the whole compressors
Is there a trick to installing the clutch? Any tips? I don’t have tools to evacuate, vacuum and recharge the system.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Is there a trick to installing the clutch? Any tips? I don’t have tools to evacuate, vacuum and recharge the system.
If I’m not mistaken, there is a special tool for installing. I’m going to be completely honest, I’ve tried 4 of them and jacked it up every time. I’ve never successfully replaced just the clutch. It always winds up crooked.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Update on the issue: finally got a chance to go to oreillys and pick up a new clutch assembly. Got it for $80 with a coupon. Got it installed and we are back in business. Didn’t take much to install. I did took several tries at getting the gap correctly. Went by the book and it was not enough gap so I added more shims and that’s fixed the dragging clutch. I’m glad I did not go for the CCRM! That thing was like ~$160. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Update on the issue: finally got a chance to go to oreillys and pick up a new clutch assembly. Got it for $80 with a coupon. Got it installed and we are back in business. Didn’t take much to install. I did took several tries at getting the gap correctly. Went by the book and it was not enough gap so I added more shims and that’s fixed the dragging clutch. I’m glad I did not go for the CCRM! That thing was like ~$160. Thanks everyone for the assistance.
Good job to you, brother. I have never had good luck with those darn things. I’m glad you got it going again, and I’m also glad that you decided to troubleshoot instead of throwing parts at it. This gets it right the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online