After manifold install results <- help me

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
ok well heres my status..

whenever i fired it it sounded good and ran right. at idle, and revved fine. so i took it around the block a few times. and it was ok.

but whenever i kinda got into it (half petal) it spit. like bad...

it has a noticable whistle. thats not too loud. but just noticable.

and i put a 160 stat in it this time. and since i broke one of the coolant sensors... only the passenger sensor is in. and the coolant sensor on the drivers side is plugged.

i pulled a few spark plug boots off and saw no coolant.. not all but the ones i could get to.

cel came on. but it was already on due to a snapped 02 sensor on right rear bank. and before this intake it didn't spit all the way to 6k

help for the love of god...

also. whenever i started it back up after being warm. it jumped to right below 2000 rpms.. and slowly dropped down to idle.

mike97gt

Reaction score
are all the fuel injectors sealed/installed properly?
maybe go over those and make sure there isnt a leak in them at all.

only thing i can really see causing a problem. :dunno:

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
i'll check it out.

also. this is a dorman pi intake manifold. so no gaskets were used. i just brought up the pictures in the pi intake/cams how to forum and lined the same places with silicone

going to check the injectors out now. thanks for that tip mike. :TY:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you did use gaskets?!?!?! uhhh ohhh :crying:

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
well. someone on here i think it was voidfinger told me that i didn't have to use them. each port has little rubber seals on it.. and when i pulled my npi off their was no gaskets.. i don't know.. but!

whenever i went out there to examine my fuel rails and injectors. i can gently twist them is that normal.

and also the bolt that holds the drivers side back part of the fuel rail wasn't tight. and is stripped. don't know how but its not tight. but the rail is still as far down as it can go.

im' still open to suggestions guys..

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
its that coolant senssor...

the computer has to have that.

at least thats my guess as im half awake working on a physics lab

97WhitePony

Reaction score
It might be sputtering due to that broken 02 sensor, or was it broken before the intake swap? It might see that 02 sensor as being faulty and has put the motor into "limp" mode. that would make it run like poop!

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
yeah, you need to fix the O2 sensor and the coolant sensor problems before doing anything else. more than likely that is your problem altogether.

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok so you said you didn't take out all the boots? how about the passengers side back 2? when i did mine thats where all the fluid whent... every last drop.

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
luckially my friend has a 96gt that isn't running.. so im' going to get that sensor and prob the 02 off of it.

and i'll go from there. thanks guys!

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
ok lastest upate...

i put the stock tstat back in and got a new coolant sensor.. still spits and stutters the exact same...

at least now the cooling fans don't stay on all the time like they were.
but. i examined my fuel rails and the drivers side 2 injectors are loose. then i noticed that the bolt that holds the rail to the manifold was stripped. and i can wiggle both of the injectors up and down just a hair... so i guess i need to grab a bolt.. and a 02 sensor still..

97WhitePony said:
It might be sputtering due to that broken 02 sensor, or was it broken before the intake swap? It might see that 02 sensor as being faulty and has put the motor into "limp" mode. that would make it run like poop!

yeah the 02 has been bad for quite some time..

voidfinger said:
ok so you said you didn't take out all the boots? how about the passengers side back 2? when i did mine thats where all the fluid whent... every last drop.

i'll take a look in those tomorrow when i get off of work... guess thats my next step.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
that sounds like my friends car after i did the PI intake swap on his car. we installed a new PI intake, plugs, and wires. turns out 3 out of the 8 NEW wires were defective. everything was normal too, until he floored it, then it spudderd and felt like it had no power at all.

check all the plug wires to make sure they are making good contact, and then if you want to, try checking all the wires to make sure they work.

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
all right well i'll examine the plugs and wires and boots tonight. i've already checked a few out. and it seems like their a pain in the ass to get back down in the holes. and i can't even get to the ones on the passenger side. so i suppose i'll be pullin stuff off again. hopefully thats the problem. man i haven't even been able to open it up yet...

Edit : so if i was going to change the plugs, what would i be goin with?? i heard that just the basic motorcraft brand plugs are good and your not suposto put bad ass plugs in these kinda motors.

OP
OP
W

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
bump for spark plug questions...

tonight i was driving and i got on it and it didn't spit or anything, pulled like a mother... it only runs good whenever its fully warmed up..

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Hey Xavier remember I was having some sort of problem like that after my PI intake install, I think it turned out just to be coolant in the plug bays. Mine was wanting to sputter and backfire between 1600-2000rpms if my memory serves correct. Lasted for about a week after I got the coolant out of the plug bays.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
bump for spark plug questions...

tonight i was driving and i got on it and it didn't spit or anything, pulled like a mother... it only runs good whenever its fully warmed up..

Swap your temp sensors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online

No members online now.