Anyone put a tubular k member in their car?

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if the team z k member kit from late model requires me to get a longer steering shaft? I don't want to have to deal with that so Id prefer a k member kit that doesn't require that. I plan on putting the cobra steering rack on my 98 gt when I do the k member along with the polyurethane engine mounts. Has anyone had any experience with this?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Stock steering shafts, along with virtually all aftermarket shafts are telescoping.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I've just heard from people that the team z kit requires a longer steering column or shaft whatever you want to call it.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
There is a thread right now over on corral where a guy got a Team-Z kit and he is having trouble lining his steering rack up because they off set the rack mounts to the passenger side. From the sounds of it, I would stay away from them. I cannot say anything about other peoples k-member but I have a UPR k, and it would have fit all the stock components. When I installed mine though, I had issues getting my bolts to mount flush because they were hitting welds. UPR quickly fixed that by sending me a different set of bolts but it was a hassle none the less. I will not condone, nor condemn the use of a UPR k, but I will say all the stock stuff fits (accept bolts of course) and their customer service has done right by me.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
There is a thread right now over on corral where a guy got a Team-Z kit and he is having trouble lining his steering rack up because they off set the rack mounts to the passenger side. From the sounds of it, I would stay away from them. I cannot say anything about other peoples k-member but I have a UPR k, and it would have fit all the stock components. When I installed mine though, I had issues getting my bolts to mount flush because they were hitting welds. UPR quickly fixed that by sending me a different set of bolts but it was a hassle none the less. I will not condone, nor condemn the use of a UPR k, but I will say all the stock stuff fits (accept bolts of course) and their customer service has done right by me.

Wait the UPR K requires special bolts to mount?

JKady

Reaction score
Call Team Z and get the story straight from them, most of the guys there are running what they sell on their personal cars.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Wait the UPR K requires special bolts to mount?

I cant say that it requires them because a lot of guys get away with putting their stock bolts in place however, that was not the case for me. I have pictures of how the bolts hit, I think they are up in my build thread.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I cant say that it requires them because a lot of guys get away with putting their stock bolts in place however, that was not the case for me. I have pictures of how the bolts hit, I think they are up in my build thread.

Alright, I'll give it a look through. Lucky for me we have a family owned supply store that sells a huge assortment of nuts bolts and washers so I can always make something work.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Alright, I'll give it a look through. Lucky for me we have a family owned supply store that sells a huge assortment of nuts bolts and washers so I can always make something work.

Yeah that's pretty much what they sent me, just some grade 10 bolts with nuts.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much what they sent me, just some grade 10 bolts with nuts.

Yeah im definitely not going with upr I've only ever heard bad things about them. But basically call team z and talk to them and buy some offset rack bushings just in case it doesn't work?

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Yeah im definitely not going with upr I've only ever heard bad things about them. But basically call team z and talk to them and buy some offset rack bushings just in case it doesn't work?

Lol its so hard to make decisions on brands these days as everyone somewhere has heard a bad thing about something. I've heard both good and bad from UPR but the same goes for alot of the others. Idk we shall see.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Interesting it seems like I can't win here lol. I've heard upr sucks and their fitment is always horrible and I've heard great things about team z but now that seems like way more of a head ache than I want to deal with since this is my daily driver right now. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a maximum motor sports one and pay a crap ton for it. At least then there shouldn't be any issues. Anybody else have some thoughts?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
UPR here on both of my cars and contrary to popular belief of the bench racers all over the internet, I haven't had any welds break or any of that bs that people on the internet keep talking about. All I know is that every "real world" local mustang I know of is running UPR stuff and hasn't had a single problem.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Like I said, I have UPR on my 98 and I wasn't pleased with how it fit. That's mostly because the bolts hit the welds on the k. So UPR sent me a bolt kit, I had to pry it forward but I eventually got it lined up right. I do not foresee any structural issues with it though. If you don't mind putting in a little extra effort and going in with an open mind, then by all means , get the UPR k-member.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think a K is where you can really plan on saving a few bucks. I have been wanting to do mine for a while and had my eyes open but they don't seem to go on sale that often.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I know there expensive but the upr and team z kits seem like a lot more bang for your buck but since it's the only car I have right now I can't afford it being down bc something doesn't fit. I'll prolly just get the upr kit and start early enough in the day in case I need to go to the hardware store and get different bolts

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Go on and buy some shorter rack bolts when you order a k-member, your factory ones will be too long

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online