AODE Speedo gear in a 4R70?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
We're going to be swapping rear ends in my son's car this weekend. The new rear end has 3.73's in it. My research shows I need a 23 tooth speedo gear. But the ones I've found are listed for AODE. Will those work in the 4R70?

McCloud

Reaction score
We're going to be swapping rear ends in my son's car this weekend. The new rear end has 3.73's in it. My research shows I need a 23 tooth speedo gear. But the ones I've found are listed for AODE. Will those work in the 4R70?
Will they install in a 4R70W? Yes they will. Will it correct the speedo? For a little while until the gear strips. Best to go with a speedcal or other electronic correction unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Didn't know they were that bad. I didn't have that issue in my 98. But it was a manual. The plan is to get his ECU strategy added to my dongle so I can tune his car. But I wasn't ready to start that process.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
23 tooth gears are like pushrod motor tfi modules- keep a spare in the glove box.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Would anything bad happen to the trans if he has to drive it a couple weeks with the speedo off while I get the software together? Will it mess up the shifts or anything?

McCloud

Reaction score
Would anything bad happen to the trans if he has to drive it a couple weeks with the speedo off while I get the software together? Will it mess up the shifts or anything?
It will be fine. I drove mine around with a stripped gear for awhile. It may alter the shifts somewhat but nothing major.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
It will be fine. I drove mine around with a stripped gear for awhile. It may alter the shifts somewhat but nothing major.

Cool. I need to get the strategy so I can add the car to my software. And naturally I only think about it when I'm at work.

OP
OP
01yellercobra

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Will they install in a 4R70W? Yes they will. Will it correct the speedo? For a little while until the gear strips. Best to go with a speedcal or other electronic correction unit.

So reading this again I may have missed something. Is the only way to correct the speedo is with the speedcal or something similar? It can't be adjusted in the tune itself? I'm used to tuning 01+ cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.