Audio upgrade in the 95 GT Vert

Phatboy

Reaction score
Well I have fought with this for 8 months since I bought the car. I cannot stand NOT HAVING ANY BASS anymore! Its driving me insane.

Currently Jennifer(my 95 GT Vert) has all Kenwood gear in the cabin powered by a 600w x4 Sony amp in the trunk. I really need to get more interior pics! Soon promise!

So I picked up another amp, sub, crossover, wiring kit, and I have some MDF out in the shed. I have built many speaker boxes and they all have sounded great, but this one is different.

I am going to run ONE 8" DVC sub in a ported enclosure that matches the specifics for teh sub exactly as the manufacturer calls for. The box has been designed and will sit on the floor right behind the passenger seat because I hate loosing 40% of my bass when they are in the trunk. Also I am keeping performance in mind and didnt want 200lbs added to the trunk area. This box will have quick disconnects if I want to go racing.

RE Audio RTpro 8" DVC sub $60 shipped
Soundstream 240w monoblock lil wonder amp $99 shipped
old school Powerbass 3way crossover $5 from a friend
generic dual amp wiring kit $30 store bought

OK I know, STFUWATP! Here ya go...

Here is a video of the box I designed. It is EXACTLY 0.5Cuft internally including the port volume. The port is tuned to 35hz and the air speed of the port is such that I hopefully wont get any port noise. Sitting behind the passenger seat the port will aim directly at the center of the car.

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately I was rear ended the other day so the car will be going in the shop for paint very soon. Like hopefully next week. Also a head/tail light swap. I have my daughter the rest of this week, then a wedding. I can not wait to get started on this thing!

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
How are you going to mount it?

Ive been fighting with that lately and the best I can come up with is to pull back all the carpet and weld some studs to the floor. It would only take like 2 to hold the thing down. Cut the carpet neatly around the studs. The only time it would come out is when I make it out to the track, and usually there is an entire day of prep the day before race day so no biggie there.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
As long as your going to mount it you can just use some L-brackets. I was just concerned that you were going to be happy just throwing it back there with the idea the top would keep it down. I would hate for that box to be the thing that kills a friend if you rear end someone with it not mounted.

OP
OP
Phatboy

Phatboy

Reaction score
Nah, Im kinda OCD about my car. It will definitely be bolted down. L brackets might be the hot ticket as long as I can seal up the openings. Let me play with the model a bit and see what I come up with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online

No members online now.