Autometer elec. water temp gauge- where to mount sender??? HELP!!!!

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
i bought a autometer electric water temp gauge (part# 4337) i just want to know the best and easiest place to mount the temp sensor(sender whatever u wanna call it). im not really sure where but i want it to be accurate. Anybody have one of these? were did u mount yours? thanks for the help

S

scarface

you could t the sender on the manifold, you could t the heater core line, or you could just install it in the hole next to the drivers side motor mount.

powerfreak

Reaction score
If you don't care if your factory gauge still works or not, you can pull out one of the factory temp senders. There's 2 in the coolant crossover where the thermostat is...pull out the one that's on the pass side and install the autometer sender there.

blackstangs281

Reaction score
powerfreak said:
pull out the one that's on the pass side and install the autometer sender there.

Thats where mine is, but I used a T so the factory one would work also

96 blue moon

Reaction score
When I installed my electric autometer gauge in my car I installed my temp sending unit on the heater hose. Autometer sells a temp sending unit kit that you can install on your heater hose and It is very easy to install. All you have to do is cut the inlet side of the heater hose and install this 5/8 brass heater hose adapter that they sell and then just screw your temp sending unit right on top of the brass connector. Very easy to do and it looks good when your done with the install. I have had mine on for years with no problem. I hope this helps you out with the install.

S

scarface

powerfreak said:
If you don't care if your factory gauge still works or not, you can pull out one of the factory temp senders. There's 2 in the coolant crossover where the thermostat is...pull out the one that's on the pass side and install the autometer sender there.
only one of those sensors is for the temp gauge. The other is the sensor for the ECU.... Your post is correct, but I didnt want the way you worded it to mislead him into thinking there were TWO gauge sensors.

powerfreak

Reaction score
scarface said:
powerfreak said:
only one of those sensors is for the temp gauge. The other is the sensor for the ECU.... Your post is correct, but I didnt want the way you worded it to mislead him into thinking there were TWO gauge sensors.

OK, but they are both temp senders...just one goes to the gauge.

S

scarface

powerfreak said:
scarface said:
powerfreak said:

OK, but they are both temp senders...just one goes to the gauge.
agreed, just didnt know if he would know the difference.

OP
OP
MoonlightGT

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
thanks guys, does anyone have any pics that they can post? im not sure which heater hose to t into and where. some pics would help thanks alot

96 blue moon

Reaction score
You want to tap into the inlet side of the heater hose so you will get a accurate temp reading. The inlet hose is the one that has a crimping ring around the hose to cut back on pressure for the heater core at high RPM. If you tap into the outlet hose your temp gauge will give you a tempature reading coming out of the heater core. I will try to send you a picture of my set up that I have installed on my heater hose very soon.

96 blue moon

Reaction score
Here is the picture of where I tapped into my heater hose. I hope this helps you out on your install.

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
MoonlightGT

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
hey thanks blue moon ! im gonna do the same thing . i hooked mine up this morning but i just mounted the new sensor in the old sensor location. but im gonna do it your way so i can have both gauges working. thanks!!

S

scarface

wow...that looks pretty good man..THanks for the info and pic :)

96 blue moon

Reaction score
I hope it helps you out. That is very easy to install and it don't cost that much.

S

scarface

thats a great mod, and it is the first time Ive heard of it :)

96 blue moon

Reaction score
It was very easy to install. Just make sure you cut the inlet side of the heater hose when you install the fitting. Did you already purchase the adapter from autometer?

McCloud

Reaction score
I like the heater hose adapter way, but my temp gauge hasnt worked since Ive owned the car. So I just put the autometer sensor in the place of the passenger side sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online