Best Short throw shifter for 96 - 98 Cobra

CobraBob

Reaction score
IMO the MGW is the best shifter on the market. You have to study its engineering to see how different it is from all the others. Not that the TriAx, Pro 5.0, Hurst, etc. aren't good. I personally used and liked the TriAx. It's just that the MGW is just better. ;)

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
I am rocking the TriAx right now but i would like to give MGW a try soon.

Slow95Cobra

Reaction score
ive used pro 5.0 and tri-ax... a friend has a mgw.. i couldnt stand it. felt clicky and didnt wanna half way work.. not saying its bad, but i didnt get a good impression. i have a tri-ax now, feels best in the world to me. it comes with nuts on the reverse side of the shifter handle so it cant come loose. the pro 5.0 is bad about that (unless you use some teflon tape to hold the bolts tight) plus it feels like you have to lean up and reach for 5th gear with a pro 5.0. but i probably just toss a coin and decide

01SportChic

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the MGW shifter, but I don't like the feel of a pro 5.0. lol I don't care what you guys say, I had a UPR shifter in my 94 GT, and I have a newer UPR Shifter in my Cobra, and I love the feel of it. Smooth and goes straight into gear.

thorco3

Reaction score
Well, I'll be the first to throw this out there...

any short throw will be leaps and bounds better than stock. With that being said, I have a hurst short throw and am very happy with it. My buddy has an MGW on his cobra and it is very nice as well. The mgw just seems to have a smoother feel than my hurst does but I'm not going to spend the money to replace a shifter that I am already used to.

Between these two (and stock of course) I would say mgw is the better of the two, but not by much.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
MGW. I had one on my T45, and liked it so much better than the Tri-Ax poo, that when I went to a T-56 I ordered another one. I had the blue handle, that aparently is discontinued, since my new one for the Cobra showed up with an orange handle.

But it is adjustable for height, and it can swivel.

clobato

Reaction score
I have a MGW in my Mach and a Triax in my Cobra. I know that the trannies are different and the Mach is newer, but the MGW is miles ahead of the Triax. The throws on the Triax are ten times longer than the MGW. The MGW provides infinite adjustability to get the handle right where you want it. The MGW just feels better.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
After a few months of having the MGW in, I'm going to make a blanket statement and say you're going to be incredibly sorry for wasting your money on anything other than a MGW...

CobraBob

Reaction score
I have to add that if you're going with a billet aftermarket shifter gear noise is going to increase. Pick up a set of my shifter gaskets to quiet it down. :thumb:

02GT

Reaction score
Ive been wondering the same as GreenConvert, but it seems that the MGW is the best out there from what i've seen. How much is one and wheres the best place online to buy one?

gt96stang

Reaction score
RubiconSix96Cobra said:
Ive been wondering the same as GreenConvert, but it seems that the MGW is the best out there from what i've seen. How much is one and wheres the best place online to buy one?

I believe they only sell them directly... Haven't seen any other sites that sell them.. :dunno: :dunno:

www.mgwltd.com

02GT

Reaction score
I got 2 friends, both with mustangs but both are GT's. One has a tri ax and the other has a mgw. I asked if I could drive them both and the mgw is the best between those two. It has MUCH shorter throws and just feels all around way better than the tri ax does. But going from a stock shifter to a short throw was like a dream. I cant wait to get mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online