Bolted a PI intake to my 98'

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by DFG_magic, May 8, 2016.

1. DFG_magic

DFG_magic Well-Known Member

Tackled the PI intake swap yesterday. Removed the Dorman intake that the previous owner installed. Here are a few pics through the journey. I'll fill the system up with coolant and change the plugs later today.

Started with this:
    [​IMG]

A few of the parts removed. BBK 78mm throttle intake, underdrive water pump pulley, etc..
    [​IMG]

Coolant draining:
    [​IMG]

Water pump out:
    [​IMG]

Here's the nipple I pulled out of my 98'. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen a 98' with the correct PI nipple already in the block:
    [​IMG]

Nipple installed:
    [​IMG]

Used a 3/8 extension and a random socket with a hammer to tap the new nipple into the block. Worked like butter:
    [​IMG]

Water pump and PI coolant tube installed:
    [​IMG]

Fast forward to this; PI intake, FRPP 24lb injectors, new sensors in the water crossover, 3 ply silicone hoses:
    [​IMG]

2. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Damn bastard 98's never know what you are going to find.

3. DFG_magic

Indeed!

4. 2v_takeover

2v_takeover Active Member

Seem to feel a little nicer on the top end?

5. DFG_magic

Haven't fired it up yet. Gonna fill it with coolant later today and flash the pcm with an updated tune then i'll report back. May not be until tomorrow, but I will follow up for sure.

6. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

Damn that is the cleanest coolant Ive ever seen come out of a car lol. Is that a jlt cai? I really want one but just for looks for right now my ebay cai will have to do lol.

7. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

Pretty work, nice job, come work on my car!

8. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

You remembered your rtv, right?

9. DFG_magic

Yes, it's a JLT new style CAI. The coolant was pretty clean, but dirty enough to replace!

10. DFG_magic

Sure did! Used Ultra Copper Permatex. Hopefully it set up long enough, I'll fill the system up with coolant when I get home from work today.

11. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

I changed mine in my 02 a few months ago and it was so dirty it looked dark green almost black! And its got less than 100k miles on it! Ill have my eyes open on ebay now for that intake... Looks good bro!

12. DFG_magic

Filled her up with coolant this afternoon and hit the key. I changed the plugs yesterday and knew I dropped some dirt and fuel from the rails down in the cylinders. A quick second of the dirt and trash getting smashed in the chamber and all was well. Exhaust note changed drastically. Not as tinny sounding at idle if that makes any sense. Nice and deep and hollow. A LOT louder. Let it run till the fans came on and thermostat opened then I added another gallon of coolant. Didn't notice any leaks at this time. Mind you, I had only torqued the manifold once so far. Jumped in and spun it up the block for about a mile and a half then came back home and popped the hood. Saw coolant seeping from the intake at the top right hand corner above the gasket between the intake. Added more coolant and performed the torque sequence again. Leak immediately stopped. Let it run for 5 minutes then took the same trip again, this time hammering on it pretty well. Pulls hard as hell 4000-6050 rpm compared to the old Dorman NPI intake. Still have the P1000 code in the PCM (readiness setting/fuel trims still learning) so there is still more seat of the pants testing to be had to give a better impression on power. It definitely picked up on the top end. Popped the hood and checked the upper right corner of the intake where it was leaking before and it was bone dry. Heat from running had already dried the area on the head that it trickled down on. The car just feels better throughout the entire powerband. Mind you, I added 24# FRPP injectors at the same time and tweaked the tune a bit as well. I'll follow up in a few days. I'll update this post with a pic of the corner that had the slight seepage soon.

Top right hand corner of the intake that was leaking. Put 40 miles on it this morning and checked; here's what I found:
    [​IMG]

(Bone dry, leak stopped) Had the wrong manifold bolt in that corner. I knew it looked funny. Correct bolt was 1/2 inch longer. Car is pulling better and better each moment I drive it.

13. lwarrior1016

You said you tweaked the tune, did you update it for the larger injectors?

14. DFG_magic

Exactly. I pulled oem 19#'s out. Also messed with the fan settings for the 180* tstat.

15. DFG_magic

Well.. I couldn't stop the leak in the upper right corner and ended up pulling the intake back off yesterday and reapplied RTV and used FelPro gaskets this time. I used Victor Reinz gaskets the first time. I noticed the intake had a slight crack at the coolant block off port in the plastic. Hairline, didn't look like enough to leak but I RTV'd that spot as well. Filled her up with coolant this morning and all is well. I was leaking coolant into the rear cylinder because I buggered up the install the first time. Needless to say, I can feel a major difference now. Take your time on this job and check that intake for cracks especially if you buy used!

16. lwarrior1016

It's kind of funny, I don't think anyone gets this mod done correctly the first time. I messed mine up, then my buddy messed his up. However, the second time around goes smoothly and correctly, for most people lol.

17. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Well-Known Member

i need to get on the pi swap, i had it on my first gt, but i havent cared much to do much performance with my 97 yet. i wanted to focus on handling/suspension first since a lack of that was a very small additive to my crashing of the 98. now im needing the additional power. i NEEEEDDDDD IIITTTTTTT *spongebob voice*

[​IMG]

18. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

Good job!! I also noticed my exhaust note changed with the PI intake swap. Now I need work up the give a **** to install the damn heads, cams, longtubes, Accufab plenum and what not.

19. lwarrior1016

Bring it to me for a few days and ill get it done.

20. white95

white95 Apex Junky Admin

I bet you would too!! I've just been waiting for one of my buddies lifts to open up. Pm me your number, we might have to work something out.