Bonestock3.8s build thread**update!**

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
i still see roll sir :p haha

Well its more under control than what it was... :p haha And I want to get stiffer springs and shocks or maybe coil overs but I can't exactly afford them right now. hah I just want to get my SBFCs and my strut tower brace installed that I've had for several months now installed and then get a set of MM LCAs too before the next autocross season begins.

MadStang

Reaction score
Well its more under control than what it was... :p haha And I want to get stiffer springs and shocks or maybe coil overs but I can't exactly afford them right now. hah I just want to get my SBFCs and my strut tower brace installed that I've had for several months now installed and then get a set of MM LCAs too before the next autocross season begins.

honestly the strut tower brace isn't going to make the slightest difference IMO. There's really no flex at the strut towers... I don't run a brace for this reason. The biggest difference you're going to feel is the strut tower brace and not going to lie, the chassis brace.the steering felt much more solid and controlled getting rid of the stamped steel nonsense that ford put under there. if you can get a MM 4-point chassis brace that will do wonders. I could only get the steeda 2 point to fit because of my longtubes but still felt a huge mark of improvement.

1052272_467373990018624_91227005_o.jpg

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
honestly the strut tower brace isn't going to make the slightest difference IMO. There's really no flex at the strut towers... I don't run a brace for this reason. The biggest difference you're going to feel is the strut tower brace and not going to lie, the chassis brace.the steering felt much more solid and controlled getting rid of the stamped steel nonsense that ford put under there. if you can get a MM 4-point chassis brace that will do wonders. I could only get the steeda 2 point to fit because of my longtubes but still felt a huge mark of improvement.

1052272_467373990018624_91227005_o.jpg

I was going to get one of those also, the main reason I am going to add the strut tower brace is because my brother bought it for me for Christmas and I didn't want to be a douche and not put it on haha. But I'm not sure if a 4 point one will fit because I have an automatic. On the MM website it says you have to move the transmission cooler lines out of the way for the automatic but I don't know if thats just for the GT or if its the same for v6s too. So when the time comes for me to order one I was going to call MM and see what they have to say about it.

And heck my car didn't even come with the stamped nonsense chassis brace haha. But yeah I had already planned on getting one, just I hadn't decided on a time to get it.

Do you know anything about the rear strut tower braces? I know Steeda produces one and I've read on their website from people commenting that it helps a lot, but since you know a lot more about how to set these cars up for autox do you think I need one? Or just not worry about it?

MadStang

Reaction score
I was going to get one of those also, the main reason I am going to add the strut tower brace is because my brother bought it for me for Christmas and I didn't want to be a douche and not put it on haha. But I'm not sure if a 4 point one will fit because I have an automatic. On the MM website it says you have to move the transmission cooler lines out of the way for the automatic but I don't know if thats just for the GT or if its the same for v6s too. So when the time comes for me to order one I was going to call MM and see what they have to say about it.

And heck my car didn't even come with the stamped nonsense chassis brace haha. But yeah I had already planned on getting one, just I hadn't decided on a time to get it.

Do you know anything about the rear strut tower braces? I know Steeda produces one and I've read on their website from people commenting that it helps a lot, but since you know a lot more about how to set these cars up for autox do you think I need one? Or just not worry about it?

Ah gotcha. well if it was a gift i don't see why not. If all else fails go with the Steeda 2-Point. That's what I run on mine and you should have no clearance issues, but yeah, I would invest in one immediately IMO. the fact that you don't have one is killing your front end grip. The brace makes sure that your suspension maintains the same geometry on both the left and right a-arm. meaning you're camber and caster are equal on the both sides of the car as you corner. Noticed a huge difference from the stock bar, so i can only imagine how the bar will do since you don't even have a stock one.

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Ah gotcha. well if it was a gift i don't see why not. If all else fails go with the Steeda 2-Point. That's what I run on mine and you should have no clearance issues, but yeah, I would invest in one immediately IMO. the fact that you don't have one is killing your front end grip. The brace makes sure that your suspension maintains the same geometry on both the left and right a-arm. meaning you're camber and caster are equal on the both sides of the car as you corner. Noticed a huge difference from the stock bar, so i can only imagine how the bar will do since you don't even have a stock one.

Hmm.. well Tomorrow I'll go to the bank and see what my funds are looking like and if there is enough to spare I'll call up MM and ask them about it and go from there! MM Has a two point brace also, is there any real difference besides brands?

MadStang

Reaction score
Hmm.. well Tomorrow I'll go to the bank and see what my funds are looking like and if there is enough to spare I'll call up MM and ask them about it and go from there! MM Has a two point brace also, is there any real difference besides brands?

MM has a 2-point brace but it will not fit 94-04. I called MM and asked that question and they told me the bolthole spacing on the k-member is different from fox to sn95. If the 4 point doesn't work I'd go with the steeda 2 point. $50 for a brace that makes a huge difference is well worth it IMO.

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
MM has a 2-point brace but it will not fit 94-04. I called MM and asked that question and they told me the bolthole spacing on the k-member is different from fox to sn95. If the 4 point doesn't work I'd go with the steeda 2 point. $50 for a brace that makes a huge difference is well worth it IMO.

Alright man! Thanks for the advice! I emailed them and asked them about it. And what would you say about the rear strut tower brace? Steeda makes one, and I read from the reviews of it on their website that it made a decent improvement especially when added a long with SBFCs (sub frame connectors). Do you know anything about these? Or is it not worth getting?

MadStang

Reaction score
Alright man! Thanks for the advice! I emailed them and asked them about it. And what would you say about the rear strut tower brace? Steeda makes one, and I read from the reviews of it on their website that it made a decent improvement especially when added a long with SBFCs (sub frame connectors). Do you know anything about these? Or is it not worth getting?

it goes along with the same idea as a front brace. There really is next to no stress on the shock towers that would require a brace. if you're out of suspension mods to do then and only then would I do the shock/strut tower braces. The money can be spent much better like on coilovers, a-arms, LCA's, Etc.

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
it goes along with the same idea as a front brace. There really is next to no stress on the shock towers that would require a brace. if you're out of suspension mods to do then and only then would I do the shock/strut tower braces. The money can be spent much better like on coilovers, a-arms, LCA's, Etc.

I am not yet out of mods I need to do, its just I am running out of cheap mods to do hah. I have full length subframe connectors to get welded in, and the strut tower brace to bolt in, because I have had both of them for a while now and just need to get them done. I was just wondering if they were worth while. After I get those done I am going to get the K member brace and lower control arms. But I will probably get a K member brace sooner than later and just do it and the strut tower brace at the same time.

MadStang

Reaction score
I am not yet out of mods I need to do, its just I am running out of cheap mods to do hah. I have full length subframe connectors to get welded in, and the strut tower brace to bolt in, because I have had both of them for a while now and just need to get them done. I was just wondering if they were worth while. After I get those done I am going to get the K member brace and lower control arms. But I will probably get a K member brace sooner than later and just do it and the strut tower brace at the same time.

I know, I was merely just saying IF you were to the point where you had done every major suspension mod possible, THEN and only then would I do a rear strut brace. but I'd just have a bar welded from tower to tower honestly. looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

fb63b90ee04611e2879522000a1fbdb8_7.jpg

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
I know, I was merely just saying IF you were to the point where you had done every major suspension mod possible, THEN and only then would I do a rear strut brace. but I'd just have a bar welded from tower to tower honestly. looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

fb63b90ee04611e2879522000a1fbdb8_7.jpg

OHhhhhh I understand hah. And last night I ordered the 4 point K-member brace from MM last night, I talked to them and they said all it took to install on an automatic car was to move the transmission cooler lines slightly out of the way for it to work. So whenever that comes in the mail I am going to install it and the front strut tower brace at the same time to knock out two birds with one stone. So by the next autocross I hope to have a lot more front end grip. And then during the off season I am going to try to find someone who could install the Subframe Connectors and then purchase LCAs from MM also.

Slykin

Reaction score
I've found the best use for the strut tower brace is as a grab handle when you're making lo.... I mean.... working on the engine.

MadStang

Reaction score
OHhhhhh I understand hah. And last night I ordered the 4 point K-member brace from MM last night, I talked to them and they said all it took to install on an automatic car was to move the transmission cooler lines slightly out of the way for it to work. So whenever that comes in the mail I am going to install it and the front strut tower brace at the same time to knock out two birds with one stone. So by the next autocross I hope to have a lot more front end grip. And then during the off season I am going to try to find someone who could install the Subframe Connectors and then purchase LCAs from MM also.

badass man glad to hear it. wait until you feel how much more solid the steering is!

I've found the best use for the strut tower brace is as a grab handle when you're making lo.... I mean.... working on the engine.

making love... working on an engine... same thing to me. lol

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
badass man glad to hear it. wait until you feel how much more solid the steering is!

making love... working on an engine... same thing to me. lol

I am excited to see how much better it feels. It almost amazes me when I do mods to my car because half the time its just small or cheap things that make the car feel soooo much better and a lot different. Like even just putting some small spacers on the front made the steering feel a lot better and gave it a much better turning radius. Makes me kinda think like what the hell Ford? You could have done this small thing to make such a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online