Camshaft Recommendations

Vettn71

Reaction score
My 96 has a Teksid block (0.20 over), Kellogg stroker crank, forged rods, 10.5 pistons, 05 PI heads, intake, C&L plenum and 75mm throttle body. This is a 5-speed car with 3.73 rear gears. This is also my DD. what cams would y'all suggest?

TIA
Jim

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I assume the intake is pi? Since the compression is low, and you daily drive, stay relatively stockish. Dont go over board with a cam profile ment for more compression. Tune the car to 87octane and live happy.

I will never name any companies at this forum unless that company wants to pitch in $$.
But their is a parasite cam company that grinds out said type cams made just for your setup.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My 96 has a Teksid block (0.20 over), Kellogg stroker crank, forged rods, 10.5 pistons, 05 PI heads, intake, C&L plenum and 75mm throttle body. This is a 5-speed car with 3.73 rear gears. This is also my DD. what cams would y'all suggest?

TIA
Jim

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Cushman Motorsports. I even passes tough NJ emissions with their "stage 1" NA cams. I have a set of their "stage 2" Blower cams on the shelf for my next build. Most dyno's I have seen posted showed solid 25-30rwhp gains.

I also had good results with Comp 262ah and 270ah.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I could go up in compression to make better power. Being a 5-speed I could go with a bit more cam. Running 93 octane already, so that's not an issue. To answer the other question, it does have 2002 PI heads right now, but I have 2007 PI heads at the shop being rebuilt. Don't want to go "wild", but I'm making 265/287 at the rear wheels now and want to get to about the 300 mark. Higher compression and beefier cams are the only way to get there with the other mechanicals

regards
jim

blackdemon007

Reaction score
My car dyno'd at just under 300 with pi swap on stock block, stage 2 cams and long tube headers.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
93octane is not the fuel you want to use all because of its resistance to ignite which in turn causes slower flame propagation. Most people lose sight of this. Keeping the fuel homogeneous throughout the process is key to the most extreme combustion and it all can be had simply on 87octane. Beside 87octane wants to ignite! Wants to burn! Fuel that wants to burn, does so more quickly. In turn reducing timing. Advancing the timing equals to end of combustion process. Using the injector and ports abilities to create the mixture while flowing into the chamber reduces the reason to run higher grade of fuel. I totally get why you run higher grade. Its insurance not to preignite and detonate.

If you are indeed wanting more compression, what will your build consist of? Lets figure what cam will be best after your build.

Yes, use the 07 pi heads. They have the 8thread plug holes. Dont port the intake any. Smooth the exhaust only.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Source out a set of cobra style flat top .020over pistons, intake valve relief them, deck the block to piston stick up .010" @ tdc. Deck heads .020" run a .036" head gasket, tune and live happy with 93octane. Besure to use a good cam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online