Car sounds weird???

CobraClone94

Reaction score
When i figure it out, You'll be the first to know.
Sup all,

My car has sat for over a year, due to time and money. I was able to pick up a battery the other day, and start it. I noticed it's running weird, and a loud clicking sound coming from the drivers side Rocker cover. It sounds to me like it down a cylinder, what do you guys think?
Also forgive me calling the rockers the valve train.. i hadn't slept well the previous night.

Thanks in advance

Don.

https://youtu.be/ve186laluRU

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Check your fuel filter first which is pretty easy and cheap. If your getting a tick there is a chance one of your rockers is lose which could cause a rough idle as well. 302's are very easy to work on so dont be afraid to dive into it. But just start with your basic stuff first.

As mentioned fuel filter / plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Check all vaccum connections things like that.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Check your fuel filter first which is pretty easy and cheap. If your getting a tick there is a chance one of your rockers is lose which could cause a rough idle as well. 302's are very easy to work on so dont be afraid to dive into it. But just start with your basic stuff first.

As mentioned fuel filter / plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Check all vaccum connections things like that.

Thanks i will attempt all this soon as it cools down :)

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
So, i ran the car for a bit, took it for a small spin, the issue seems to have cleared up Thank God. The ticking is still there, i will have to pop the rocker cover at some point and check it over. But for now, it's running great, See vid attached :) I am not to worried right now, i am not able to put it on the road till spring.

https://youtu.be/k55boBbmW-o

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ticking noise can also be a bad plug wire or one that isn't connected all the way. Give them a good push while its running on the dist and at the plugs and see if it goes away or gives you a shock.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Sounds good, glad its clearing up for you. I would still go ahead and replace the fuel filter, because odds are you may have had some bad gas in there. When you go to inspect the rocker arms there are some very good how to properly set the lash on the rockers youtube videos so give them a look before tightening anything.

OP
OP
CobraClone94

CobraClone94

Reaction score
Sounds good, glad its clearing up for you. I would still go ahead and replace the fuel filter, because odds are you may have had some bad gas in there. When you go to inspect the rocker arms there are some very good how to properly set the lash on the rockers youtube videos so give them a look before tightening anything.

Thanks, i will look them up for sure..and the fuel filter maybe something i do on the next oil change :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online