Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

07GtS197

Reaction score
I knew I should have gone through the brakes… the rattle/clunk seemed to becoming from the driver side and sure enough the passenger has the anti rattle brackets. I’m also assuming the pin is missing a washer/c-clip on the back of the rotor. Going to buy a new hardware kit tomorrow.
Who woulda thunk. I probably would’ve checked the brakes after screwing with the suspension. Who worked on the brakes last?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Who woulda thunk. I probably would’ve checked the brakes after screwing with the suspension. Who worked on the brakes last?
I haven’t messed with the brakes since I bought it a year and half ago… not sure who did them but obviously they didn’t put them back together correctly.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Anti-Rattle Clips worked! The suspension still has some noise but I think its normal
based on what I have… but pulling into parking lots, train tracks, rough road the noise is gone.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Now that the main rattle issue has been resolved, I'm kind of struggling to figure out what direction to go on the Cobra. I ordered the maximum motorsports quadrant/firewall adjustor kit from LMR... I think the OEM cable with a single hook BBK quadrant was the issue... I found an SVTP thread that advised the OEM cable doesn't play nice with a quadrant designed for an adjustable cable. For a couple hundred bucks, I just want to cross this off my list... however, where do I go next? I ultimately want to put fresh coil overs on it but it adds up fast... $400 for the MM coil over kit, $200 for the caster/camber plates, another $120 for some KYB Excel-G struts, plus and alignment...

What would you do?

Take it to a shop for the air conditioning?
Replace the stereo?
Start working through suspension?

joemomma

Reaction score
AC is a must here in TN, it's been hot as balls this year. Next on my list would be stereo - but I'm an old basshead, so there's that lol. The current suspension setup is working OK or are you having issues?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
AC is a must here in TN, it's been hot as balls this year. Next on my list would be stereo - but I'm an old basshead, so there's that lol. The current suspension setup is working OK or are you having issues?
The suspension works, I would long term like to replace front coil overs with Maximum Motorsports 12" 250 lbs. springs, replace the lower rear control arms, and do the Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft. However, after replacing the anti-rattle clips that were missing on the front driver side brake pads I was amazed at how much noise went away. So this isn't as pressing, and will be fairly expensive.

The AC is an unknown, the fix could be cheap, or could be expensive. I also am always hesitant to turn the keys over to a random shop, especially with the belt routing for the Procharger, etc. That said I would like AC by next summer, as it limits when I want to drive the car.

The radio itself should be easy, with Crutchfield harnesses, etc. but then unless there is a component system where I can just unscrew, unplug, and replace speakers that might lead to a rabbit hole as well.

Really hoping the MM clutch quadrant kit, gets rid of my clutch feel/engagement issues, it was pricey but I keep seeing nothing but good things about it.

joe65

Reaction score
The suspension works, I would long term like to replace front coil overs with Maximum Motorsports 12" 250 lbs. springs, replace the lower rear control arms, and do the Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft. However, after replacing the anti-rattle clips that were missing on the front driver side brake pads I was amazed at how much noise went away. So this isn't as pressing, and will be fairly expensive.

The AC is an unknown, the fix could be cheap, or could be expensive. I also am always hesitant to turn the keys over to a random shop, especially with the belt routing for the Procharger, etc. That said I would like AC by next summer, as it limits when I want to drive the car.

The radio itself should be easy, with Crutchfield harnesses, etc. but then unless there is a component system where I can just unscrew, unplug, and replace speakers that might lead to a rabbit hole as well.

Really hoping the MM clutch quadrant kit, gets rid of my clutch feel/engagement issues, it was pricey but I keep seeing nothing but good things about it.
I've used that MM clutch kit....to me its worth its money. Really want to buy one now also for my GT. Once you get that kit installed and see how it can be adjusted and just how good the new cable feels you'll smile. My Mach 1 had a stage 2 Spec clutch in it that was stiffer than hell. I installed that kit and i could at least live with it. Smoother, better feel adjusted it off the floor a little.

but back to your question. What bother's you the most about the car? That's how I approach my spending on the Mustang at times.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I've used that MM clutch kit....to me its worth its money. Really want to buy one now also for my GT. Once you get that kit installed and see how it can be adjusted and just how good the new cable feels you'll smile. My Mach 1 had a stage 2 Spec clutch in it that was stiffer than hell. I installed that kit and i could at least live with it. Smoother, better feel adjusted it off the floor a little.

but back to your question. What bother's you the most about the car? That's how I approach my spending on the Mustang at times.

That's what I'm hoping, I have what appears to be a very old BBK kit on the car that is single hook, but came with an adjustable cable. I have recently found some threads advising the OEM cable is too short for this quadrant and adjustor, so the new kit should be here Monday and I'll be immediately installing it. I have a McLeod "Stage 2" clutch, and it will be nice to finally have the clutch smooth as it's a bitch to take off smoothly from a stop.

What’s going on with the ac exactly?

Good question, it doesn't work... the blower works fine for vent and AC it's just not cold. Last summer I tried to put refrigerant into the system but I was having issues jumping the pressure switch since it was low. I can't even find good diagrams for common failure points, and I've never gone through an AC system.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
My Maximum Motorsports Clutch Quadrant / Firewall Adjustor / Clutch Cable arrived this weekend, haven't had time to install as my mother and grandmother were staying with us for my youngest son's second birthday. Looks like quality stuff, hope this solves my clutch issues! Going to install tonight.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Well what a nightmare tonight turned out to be… I decided to not put it off and get the Maximum Motorsports kit installed. Got all the old stuff off, got the firewall adjuster installed, for the quadrant installed, and that’s where the trouble began… the cable they supplied was way to long. Even with the spacer they supply it was loose. Took that cable off and put my OEM cable on, so lose it would even go into gear… broke my c-clip with all the on and off. Going to call LMR tomorrow but not happy to have wasted an entire evening no better off… worse actually because I forgot to take the MM firewall adjuster off and I don’t have it in my to remove the cable again just to remove it.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Is it a single or double hook quadrant? You might be able to get away with a double hook and firewall adjuster.

badass98svt

Reaction score
One cable was too short, and one was too long? Are you SURE you are routing the same as OEM?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
One cable was too short, and one was too long? Are you SURE you are routing the same as OEM?

I'm not 100% sure, but it routed next to the drivers side cylinder head, and then down in front of the oil filter and then straight back to the transmission fork. The part I'm not 100% sure on is the cable retainer that bolts to the body.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I think the issue for me at least is that the instructions say to screw the firewall adjuster all the way in... every YouTube video says unscrew it half way as it's easier to loosen at the firewall adjuster than tighten. I think I'll give it another go this week... route it all the way up front per the instructions and try install with the adjuster unscrewed.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Any suggestions on hardware for the sway bar… would prefer not to spend $20 plus shipping through LMR if some grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts would get the job done?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Any suggestions on hardware for the sway bar… would prefer not to spend $20 plus shipping through LMR if some grade 8 bolts and nylon nuts would get the job done?
Regular old hardware will do the trick. Personally, I’d go 10.9 just to keep them metric like the rest of the car, but it doesn’t change anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online