Chasing an Electrical Gremlin...

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
Something tells me it's not the battery. it's sat for about 5.5 hours and is still at 12.5... Next thing to check will be the alternator.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think every part store has the little machine to put an alternator on and check it out. I know you don't want to, but it looks like you probably should.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
im gonna bring my PA alternator and my spare OEM to Vatozone after work. see if I can get both tested hopefully they both come back negative for AIDS.

framda

Reaction score
I like Scotts idea of checking the drain while its out. Just don't put it down on concrete, it drains it. Put it on a work bench or something. I am hoping its something like the battery though, not something more serious.

This is a wives tale. A real old one. There is nothing conductive to permit the discharge. It just isn't possible or true. I have left a lot of batts on concrete with no problems. Most of the time it is actually acid residue from the vent caps that permits electricity to flow between the two terminals with resistance that drains a little bit out . Got to keep the top clean. Also many people dont realize that even today the vent caps need to be pulled to check water levels. Refill with distilled only.

framda

Reaction score
is it still a possibility the alternator is overcharging the battery? I remember under a heavy load (2k rpms going up a steep hill) I had the sulfuric battery smell like rotten eggs. don't know if that was my battery dying out or if the voltage regulator is malfunctioning overcharging the batt

I saw a battery that had a broken plate inside. Sometimes the plate would stay in place and the batt would charge and discharge normally, other times the plate would lean over and touch another. This would cause it to short out and bubble up (making that smell). We figured it out when we drained the acid to replace it and saw one plate leaning on another. Another thought is that after a batt has been heavily discharged, they start to cause troubles. I have read that the lead doesn't like to come back out of the acid and bond to the plates as well. I have seen bad alts kill a batt and vice versa.

framda

Reaction score
unless you do a battery relocation at the same time, and the way it's looking right now.... I already have the box, just need a smaller battery to fit in it, then rewire that shit to behind the passenger seat... .

I want to put my batt in the trunk, I thought I saw a kit somewhere with everything for around $100. Any body see that?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Just something I had always heard lol. I thought it seemed pretty unlikely too.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is a wives tale. A real old one. There is nothing conductive to permit the discharge. It just isn't possible or true. I have left a lot of batts on concrete with no problems. Most of the time it is actually acid residue from the vent caps that permits electricity to flow between the two terminals with resistance that drains a little bit out . Got to keep the top clean. Also many people dont realize that even today the vent caps need to be pulled to check water levels. Refill with distilled only.

Sorry but batteries can go bad and "leak" voltage with nothing hooked up if they have been damaged in a number of different ways.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
Well, anyway, my alternator is buckled into the passenger seat. Gonna take it to Vatozone tomorrow.

framda

Reaction score
Sorry but batteries can go bad and "leak" voltage with nothing hooked up if they have been damaged in a number of different ways.

Setting them on concrete does not drain the batt. Of course if a batt is damaged it will lose a charge. the two or three post I made specifically gave examples of that. Those batts are not discharging because they were set on concrete.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
setting them on concrete "should" not drain them, you are correct since there are no connections made to it. How ever once it has been deep cycled a few times, and becomes damaged then it CAN loose voltage just sitting there with nothing connected. This happened to my last battery in my truck that was less then a year old. My alarms battery went bad and was dragging the main battery down and kept killing it in little more then a week. After the 3-4 time charging it, it would then charge up as normal, test out as good but if you just left it there and came back a few hours later it was a few volts short. It can happen and does...

framda

Reaction score
setting them on concrete "should" not drain them, you are correct since there are no connections made to it. How ever once it has been deep cycled a few times, and becomes damaged then it CAN loose voltage just sitting there with nothing connected. This happened to my last battery in my truck that was less then a year old. My alarms battery went bad and was dragging the main battery down and kept killing it in little more then a week. After the 3-4 time charging it, it would then charge up as normal, test out as good but if you just left it there and came back a few hours later it was a few volts short. It can happen and does...

This is common, it is what I was referring to in this post,

I saw a battery that had a broken plate inside. Sometimes the plate would stay in place and the batt would charge and discharge normally, other times the plate would lean over and touch another. This would cause it to short out and bubble up (making that smell). We figured it out when we drained the acid to replace it and saw one plate leaning on another. Another thought is that after a batt has been heavily discharged, they start to cause troubles. I have read that the lead doesn't like to come back out of the acid and bond to the plates as well. I have seen bad alts kill a batt and vice versa.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
fun ride to work this morning, haha NOT. shifting at 3k and all I hear BOOM, crackle, pop, hiss as my rpms dropped to zero. Pushed the car the 3 blocks to work. when I got there it didn't fire on the first crank but it did the second, died when i gave it throttle, then fired third time and was okay... hopefully it starts when I leave today lol.

P0190. FRPS Circuit Malfunction. $130 later I'm picking up a new FRPS.

I'm just glad it wasnt my original thought, I thought I blew out a spark plug... sadly I kinda I hoped I blew a hole in the block, it'd give me a reason to dig into my tuition money lmao.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
UPDATE: Autozone can't test the alternator because there equipment doesn't work with the feet of the alternator. UGH. Oh well, I have my OEM replacement in and everything seems to be okay for now.

framda

Reaction score
They test for voltage output under a load. Same test I mentioned earlier by turning everything on and touching the voltmeter to the battery while the car is running.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
Okay problem is not the Alternator or Battery. My OEM spare is in the car and it's still got the battery drain... Whats funny is the car is perfectly fine when it's running, but if it sits for any extended period of time it just poops itself out. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isaac cerr

Staff online