Chasing an Electrical Gremlin...

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
okay I'm frustrated. I'm buying a multimeter tonight. someone give me a brief synopsis on how to use it.

From what I understand this is how it's done?
Disconnect positive, connect one multimeter lead to cable and one to the terminal. then check for draw more than x amount? (how much is x?). Then start pulling fuses one by one until the circuit is found with the draw.

any recommended tools for removing the fuses? i don't have the ford tool that pulls it...

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
that is good so far. Your draw at idle should not be more then .3-.4 amps at the VERY most...

thanks Scott. this couldnt have come at a worse time.. biggest project of the semester and I'm gonna be out push starting my POS to get it going ughh... so stressed

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get a friend to help you by just sitting there watching the meter and then go in and start pullin fuses. It really will should not take as long to find the fuse as it does to disconnect the battery. The hard part is after that trying to figure out what specific part is draining it.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also watch for voltage drop. It's similar to amp draw only yoou don't need to disconnect the battery.
Just connect the volt meter to both pos and neg posts of the battery. and watch the voltage drop slowly.
Don't forget to ck things like vanity mirrors, trunk light, hood light,

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that only works for large current drops. A smaller one like he has been chasing probably will not show up.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
So my results. Car off sitting for 3 hours after I charged the battery again.

Positive Cable Lead to Negative Cable Lead = 3.5ohms
Negative Cable Lead to Negative Terminal = 12mA
Positive Cable Lead to Positive Terminal = 12.5mA

dunno what that means at all lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats not all that big of a drain really. How long does it need to sit before the battery is dead? Charge the battery outside of the car, then leave it out but check it out again 4-6 hrs later. I had a battery recently that kept dying but tested ok after a trickle charge. I took it to autozone where I got it and left it there for longer then I needed, and before I picked it up I asked them to check the voltage and if it tested ok to to a full test on it again. When they went to test the voltage with out anything hooked up it was already down to 11.5 volts.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
thats not all that big of a drain really. How long does it need to sit before the battery is dead? Charge the battery outside of the car, then leave it out but check it out again 4-6 hrs later. I had a battery recently that kept dying but tested ok after a trickle charge. I took it to autozone where I got it and left it there for longer then I needed, and before I picked it up I asked them to check the voltage and if it tested ok to to a full test on it again. When they went to test the voltage with out anything hooked up it was already down to 11.5 volts.

two days ago it was 16 hours. id say on average24 hours and that thing is toast.

I'll check the battery today. I think the alternator is fine because it is charging the car perfectly fine when it's running.

wire fire ...insurance

delete after completion

and it's a wonder why no one actually posts here anymore...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like Scotts idea of checking the drain while its out. Just don't put it down on concrete, it drains it. Put it on a work bench or something. I am hoping its something like the battery though, not something more serious.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
like I said my last batt tested good off the charger but obviously if its dropping voltage just sitting there, there is something bigger wrong. You would need a higher amperage drop then that to kill it overnight or even in 16 hrs so I would suspect the batt as well if the car runs and charges fine.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
like I said my last batt tested good off the charger but obviously if its dropping voltage just sitting there, there is something bigger wrong. You would need a higher amperage drop then that to kill it overnight or even in 16 hrs so I would suspect the batt as well if the car runs and charges fine.

is it still a possibility the alternator is overcharging the battery? I remember under a heavy load (2k rpms going up a steep hill) I had the sulfuric battery smell like rotten eggs. don't know if that was my battery dying out or if the voltage regulator is malfunctioning overcharging the batt

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sulfuric smell, no idea........ It could be over charging but that is something that a quick hook-up at autozone could tell you.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
yeah, I'm gonna test the battery today and if it's fails the drain test then I won't have to worry about the alternator lol

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good. Really hoping it has to do with one of those two things though.

Easy, unfortunately they cost quite a bit. Probably my two least favorite things, absolute necessities, but super expensive and don't add anything special lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not totally convinced it is one or the other yet and not a bad connection somewhere. unfortunatly to test that you often have to go and replace the battery, just too many connections to trace and ensure they are good.

OP
OP
MadStang

MadStang

Reaction score
Sounds good. Really hoping it has to do with one of those two things though.

Easy, unfortunately they cost quite a bit. Probably my two least favorite things, absolute necessities, but super expensive and don't add anything special lol

unless you do a battery relocation at the same time, and the way it's looking right now.... I already have the box, just need a smaller battery to fit in it, then rewire that shit to behind the passenger seat...

I am not totally convinced it is one or the other yet and not a bad connection somewhere. unfortunatly to test that you often have to go and replace the battery, just too many connections to trace and ensure they are good.

Well I'm just letting the battery chill for a bit. it's currently sitting at 12.5V so we'll see what it's at in a couple of hours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nike04life

Members online