Cobra brake upgrade - worth it?

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have a 98 GT. I can get a set of Cobra front and rear brakes - drilled and slotted rotors with under 2k miles on them, calipers, hoses, everything needed for a pure bolt on. The guy is asking $500 total. Is that a decent price?

1994stangfan

Reaction score
That seems like a very fair price. Also it is an excellent upgrade. Just make sure the calipers aren't Chinese aftermarkets

Mustanger

Reaction score
Yes! I love my Cobra/Bullitt Brakes! Very noticeable upgrade IMO. Very confidence inspiring...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Very much worth it. As RichV says, do the rears as well. The Cobra rear is bigger than the GT front. That says a lot right there.

DSCF0845.jpg

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I just did the swap about a month ago, haven't done the rears yet - very happy with it. Very noticeable, and like Mustanger said, very confidence inspiring. The previous brakes, just didn't cut it. My wife hated driving the car, now she hops right it in it and goes.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
E-mailed the seller telling him I wanted to meet. Hope they are still available!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am going to be selling a set shorty that I smoothed out and powdered if anyone has been considering it. Decided to go a little bit higher then the cobras.....

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I am going to be selling a set shorty that I smoothed out and powdered if anyone has been considering it. Decided to go a little bit higher then the cobras.....

PM me when you do. If my current deal follows through, I may be interested in your setup.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I would jump on that. Also consider upgrading to a Cobra Master cylinder as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
anyone interested in a set of freshly powdered cobra calipers, matching powdered rear calipers and rear rotors as well as a cobra master pm me your offer. The cylinders need to be put back in since the powder coat(gloss black/burned copper and all cleared for extra protection) but they have not been mounted since powder. I just upgraded to a set of baers and changed my mind nothing wrong with them, not looking to rip anyone off but I need to get the front brakes now to match the rear.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I would jump on that. Also consider upgrading to a Cobra Master cylinder as well.
Going tomorrow morning to get the brake set. The owner wondered why I asked about the master. What is the difference between a stock and Cobra master? I checked Rock Auto - both GT and Cobra had 1" bores, but different part numbers.

lutter94

Reaction score
Going tomorrow morning to get the brake set. The owner wondered why I asked about the master. What is the difference between a stock and Cobra master? I checked Rock Auto - both GT and Cobra had 1" bores, but different part numbers.

The cobra master is smaller bore, believe it or not, the dual pistons have smaller area than the single pot GT calipers. If you use the stock MC with cobra rotors, the pedal could feel more firm, since less oil needs to be displaced. They'll still work fine with GT mc, just not feel the same.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
The cobra master is smaller bore, believe it or not, the dual pistons have smaller area than the single pot GT calipers. If you use the stock MC with cobra rotors, the pedal could feel more firm, since less oil needs to be displaced. They'll still work fine with GT mc, just not feel the same.

Thanks! I'll keep my stock master when I install and change it if I don't like the pedal feel. Got the complete setup for $460. Prior owner is going from 500 horse Paxton to a twin turbo approaching 900 HP and so is going high end brakes along with a Ford 9" and other upgrades. A guy a few miles away from him had a manual trans for $40, so I scored that too. Not a bad day at all!

RichV

Reaction score
It's actually a softer pedal. I ran Cobra gear at all 4 corners (truthfully the fronts are 13" 4 pot Wilwoods) with a GT MC for about a half a season, had to swap it to Cobra. The brake modulation was horrible, it felt like stepping into a bag of dogshit then your brakes locked up. The Cobra MC put it back to normal where you can actually feel pressure in the pedal.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
The cobra has a 15/16 bore. The gt is 1 1/16 bore the 93 cobra is a 1 inch bore..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Man i just realise that you have 98.. You don't need a master cylinder.. Only the 94-95 guys do.. You have hydroboost..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001