Coil Pack Relocation!

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
I was going to do a COP conversion to clean up the engine bay! since there is no performance gain and having individual coils could get expensive if and when they start going bad! add to that the cost of converting over to COP. I have decided that it is not cost effective... I would like to relocate my coils to the rear of the engine, I have seen this in a few pics I know it involves simply running the coils and the wires to the rear, but what is needed to secure the coil packs in place! I tried to google it but couldnt find anything on it! if anyone has done this or if you have any pics please post them up, since I would like to get this done as soon as possible....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Venomous96Cobra said:
I will but I never see any posts with his name is he ever on here?

He is a very good friend of mine, he does post on here much ( prob less then 50) but he knows his stuff. his project he is working on is more one off then just about any swap ive ever seen (ford chassis related). He did this on his motor and it came out very well.

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
yeah I have been searching here on svtp and google! I have seen pics of people that have done the relocation of the coils to the rear of the engine but cant find a write up or pics at this point! very upsetting since I was hoping to get this done soon...

Silver91Hatch

Reaction score
Subscribing...

I have thought about running EDIS on my Fox and mounting the coils in the inner fender wells. That way all you see are 4 wires coming out of each inner fender area to the plugs.

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
wow that would look good! but im just trying to relocate mine from the front of the engine to the rear! just want to clean up the front of the engine bay!

massacre

Reaction score
Like I said, you're going to have to fabricate a bracket to hold the coil packs, and also change the wiring so that the coil pack harness connections are in the rear.
Then obviously route the plug wires to the correct plugs.

I rebuilt my entire engine harness so it was easy.
Do you own a factory wiring diagram for your car?
If not, I suggest you get one and learn how to read it. They are worth their weight in gold.
I do have I think one pic, but that was in the early stages of the prototype bracket. I'll post it up when I get home.

Yeah I don't post here too often, funny you should bring this up now, but this exact subject was brought up before, and I really didn't like the attitude of some here. I'll try to help but you must understand that nobody held my hand and showed me what to do on my project.
I researched everything myself, in a lot of cases I'm doing something that nobody else is doing, so there is literally no one to help me or show me the way.
Relocating the coil packs is one of those things, you'll see pics from around the 'net, but nobody tells you EXACTLY how to do it.
Same with degreeing cams, everyone gives you a couple of pieces of the puzzle but no one gives you the whole story.

Here's that prototype pic, sorry nothing more recent.

As you can see, it's pretty straightforward.
^^^ this being said, let's understand that:
This car is not a Mustang.
This car is an auto.
So YMMV

Hope this helps.

massacre

Reaction score
OP,

You asked for pics.
You even PM'd me for pics.

No response at all?

????????

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
sorry! I got a few p.m.'s from you and thought you said you didnt have a pic! I thought it would be a bit easier! damn I think im going with a cop conversion with the harness being sold by the guy from svtp, seems like less of a headache...

Thank's for your info...

massacre

Reaction score
I know the harness you are referring to, tons have used his stuff and everyone raves about it.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

whty98

Reaction score
Old thread but I really like the idea of this, I think I will be doing this on my build up this winter. Good job massacre

01SportChic

Reaction score
I know this is kinda old, and not sure if you have made the conversion...but I moved my driver side coil pack to the pass. side with a bracket my b/f made...Personally I think it kinda cleaned up the engine bay a tad...Also gives room on the driver side for a certain something that could be placed in the fender. :p

I'll post a pic in a sec...just gotta find it!

01SportChic

Reaction score
IMG_2449.jpg

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
nah! still haven't done either the conversion or the relocation! due to funds lately, but I gotta do something soon as far as cleaning up and making the engine bay look good!

01SportChic

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
I like the coil pack relocation to the pass side...

The color of the valve covers is awesome too!

Thanks! The valve covers are a little taste of my 'I wish I had a 96 Mystic'. LOL

massacre

Reaction score
But that doesn't solve the problem of the ugly wires in the front of the motor.

I remember you from hollowpointracing. you moved your coil pack over there for a turbo install.

01SportChic

Reaction score
massacre said:
But that doesn't solve the problem of the ugly wires in the front of the motor.

I remember you from hollowpointracing. you moved your coil pack over there for a turbo install.
Yea, definitely doesn't hide the wires...but at least it kinda puts some neatness in the engine bay. :/ My b/f is trying to convince me to go COP, but my dilemma is my 'one of a kind' powder coat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online