completely gross convertible top

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
hey yall,

I am trying to surprise my parents by completely detailing their 09 convertible. I tried to search on here and google some good products, but nothing seemed as bad as how their top is. they have to park under trees, so the top is covered in sap and dirt (well thats what im assuming the black spots are). I will include some pictures too. But to get to the point, what would yall use to get this top spotless again?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
try regular car wash soap and a soft bristle brush first.
You might send chemical guys a mssg and see what they suggest. look under sponsers.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
My mom has that problem on her top. We would use mildew remover to get some of that stuff out but it never got nearly that bad..

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
F

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
try regular car wash soap and a soft bristle brush first.
You might send chemical guys a mssg and see what they suggest. look under sponsers.

I am about to try that in a bit. I have a pretty big cart with CGs right now anyway, so i might as well see what they have lol

My mom has that problem on her top. We would use mildew remover to get some of that stuff out but it never got nearly that bad..

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

i never thought about mildew, i hope its easy to come out lol

OP
OP
F

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
so, I just called chemical guys. they said they don't offer anything to clean the tops cause they will fade when you clean it? they just offer something to protect it

chris91

Reaction score
I used diluted simple green on my old white vert. Used a soft bristle brush with it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used diluted simple green on my old white vert. Used a soft bristle brush with it.

This is what I used to do (@ 4 parts water to 1 SG) and then scrub with a brush. I followed that with Aerospace 303 cleaner and protector.

After @ 7 years I had enough and switched to a black top, so much easier to maintain.

OP
OP
F

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
This is what I used to do (@ 4 parts water to 1 SG) and then scrub with a brush. I followed that with Aerospace 303 cleaner and protector.

After @ 7 years I had enough and switched to a black top, so much easier to maintain.

thats perfect lol i have about 3-4 oz of SG left haha

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you aren't in direct sunlight you can let it sit for a bit. I would wet my top then spray the cleaner on and let set in for 5 to 10 mins while I washed my wheels and tires. Then I would wet again and start scrubbing with a brush and soapy water followed by vert top cleaner/protectant.

OP
OP
F

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
If you aren't in direct sunlight you can let it sit for a bit. I would wet my top then spray the cleaner on and let set in for 5 to 10 mins while I washed my wheels and tires. Then I would wet again and start scrubbing with a brush and soapy water followed by vert top cleaner/protectant.

ill definitely be in direct sunlight, we dont have a covered car wash here :(

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its only SG so it will be ok, just keep the top wet with a mist while the cleaner soaks in a few minutes.

chris91

Reaction score
I'd first get it wet and then spray the top down with the solution. Then doing small sections at a time, spray more solution as you go.

OP
OP
F

FORDY9ER

Reaction score
i had no luck again :mad: i also read that a half cup of bleach to every gallon of water would work too. so is that like 1:32 ratio?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If elbow grease isn't working you might want to try the local DIY car wash power washer. The stains are in the pores of the canvas so you may need some pressure to get it out. Your problem areas don't go to the edge of the top so you will be ok with a pressure washer, just be careful around the back window.

I have washed my top at the DIY car wash many times to get off sun baked bird shit etc and never had an issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online