Convertible top Car Audio subwoofer enclosure

BudsmokeBC

Reaction score
I would like to ask if any of u have a PORTED or SEALED sub woofer enclosure in your convertible Stang. I currently have 3 X 12" pioneer subs and a Orion HCCA-10002 Amplifier in a SEALED enclosure with subs pointing upward. and i don't think it sounds the best it could. I have had a number of different setups (2 X 12" in backseat sealed)(2 X 10" in a sealed enclosure pointing backward twice ppi and rockford) but i have never had a ported enclosure. Also i would like to know if it would make any difference if i were to get a new enclosure built and point them backward.
Thx

brad2185

Reaction score
I had a pair of 10in. pioneers in individual sealed enclosures in my vert and I wasnt very happy with the sound, and not to mention I had no trunk space. The bass didnt seem to want to travel into the interior at all. Just trapped in the trunk and rattled the crap out of my tag and bumper cover...so I just removed them. But to answer your question, I would say that a ported enclosure would give you alot more deeper bass because you can tune the box with the port to play the best for the music you listen to the most. I would try to design the box with the subs and port opening face the back of the car. It may be difficult to do with round ports, maybe look into doing a slot port design? Just my suggestion...good luck on your build.

OP
OP
B

BudsmokeBC

Reaction score
Thank you for your input it sound like i may my to try a couple different styles of ported enclosures but sealed facing up really sounds bad just to let every one else who reads and posts know don't do it.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
I have a single custom made 10inch High output computer designed box that fires into my spare tire well ....

Sound amazing but then again the car is set up for SQ not SPL and has taken lots of first place trophies in MECA

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with brad on this, it is almost never a good idea to face your subs up or forward, rear facing is almost always best choice.

Problem with a convervitable is exactly that......its a convertable!! no solid roof to contain sound. get specs to build a slotted box and rear facing to get best with what you have.

OP
OP
B

BudsmokeBC

Reaction score
thank you guy very much I am all about car audio at the moment and am going to change my enclosure as soon as i get a couple of days without rain. Summer hasn't come to BC yet. I'll post a pic of my enclosure and what i have now. does any one have any pics of there trunks? Or any links to some good picture of proper enclosure design. thx

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah im going to go out on a limb to say that you are hearing more rattle than bass out of that set up!! lol

brad2185

Reaction score
Mrstangerbanger said:
I have a single custom made 10inch High output computer designed box that fires into my spare tire well ....

Sound amazing but then again the car is set up for SQ not SPL and has taken lots of first place trophies in MECA

SWEET VERT! Please post pics of ur trunk set-up!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The worst part is the limited size of a box you can fit through the trunk opening.

I have a sealed box with a 12" JL sub with a 250/1 JL amp and it sits in the corner or the trunk firing up and slightly to the rear so the sound is cornered a little. The sound is pretty good (for a vert) and can get loud if I want but it will never be like a SUV with 2 15's .

To be honest the best sounding subwoofer I have had in my car was a 10" Bazooka tube, but I was popping speakers every other month so I ditched it. I have seen that they have a 12" now with a better quality speaker in it and would love to give it a shot. Those are ported so if you are going custom I would maybe go ported or bandpass to get the extra boom.

spim

Reaction score
hmmm, this is a bit on an emotional setback for me...
i was looking at this...for about $175 shipped, then i was going to just drop 2 10"'s in with my amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260866867220+#ht_1852wt_1396
but i've been told by my stereo buddy/expert to expect very little bass with a vert... so now i'm wondering if maybe the expense ($400 ish including subs) isn't worth it.
sadly the buyer of my last car insisted on the bazooka tube in the trunk, and I really wanted to take that with me since it sounded FANTASTIC !!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
with the top down and moving, yes the only way to really hear the bass is with some good headphones. Otherwise with the top up or while not moving you will hear it.

spim

Reaction score
well i skipped the idea of a box that throws it up towards the trunk,
ordered a JL 10" and we'll build a custom box for the vert, will post pic's and thoughts on sound quality when job is complete

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I found that putting the sub in the back seat is better for a vert

Anchor-Room

Reaction score
We have a JL audio setup, the hidden enclosure with a 10" and love the sound and it barely takes up any space. Top down or up we can hear the bass just fine. Coupled with separates for the front and rear made by MB Quart, signal by a Sony head unit with built in hard drive and driven by JL Audio 500/5 amp.

The sub box is a sealed unit stuffed. I am sure it is no show winner. But the sound is loud and crystal clear.....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would never recomend putting a subwoofer in the back seat. There is no way to secure it properly and if you have an accident it might just end up being the last thing to go through your head. In addition to that, you run a better chance of a thief deciding he likes the subs in your back seat more then he likes the top on your car. Only takes a dull knife to break into them....

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Installing a sub in the back seat is going to give you more output but not sound better .. The farther away the sub is the better is sounds ..(bass wave length)

Also over 50% of a woofers output is the box if you listen to rap you want a ported box in less you can build the box to specs with a computer designed program..

You can get great output with a convertible even with the top down its all about the box ..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Has anyone ever stuffed a sub under the rear seat?
There is a far amount of room in there, but I'm not really sure if there is enough for a 10" under each side.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Id like to see your set up anchor. I meant mount the sub to the rear seat delete or something similar that is bolted down. Sorry I figured people on here would have common sense enough to do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online