Cooling System Questions 96-98

ALITL8

Reaction score
ive got one of the stangs that runs between the M and the L during the summer months. i took it to the dealership and they sent me home with a print out of a service bullitin that states "it's normal for this car to run at these higher temps" :dunno:

my questions (for now) are:
1) im about to install Steeda U/D pulleys, is this going to cause the car to overheat?
2) should i consult the dealership again?
3) anyone else's 96-98 4.6 2V do this?

96sohc

Reaction score
I've had U/D pullies for about a year now and haven't had any overheating problems, still running all stock cooling components.
I've been meaning to get a 180 tstat but haven't gotten around to it.
The highest my gauge has ever read is slightly left of middle, and that was really dogging the car.

The biggest problem, however, that I've had with U/D pullies is with the alternator.
After idling in traffic for a minute or two the voltmeter drops and all my accessories start losing power.
IMHO, I'd spend the money elsewhere.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
what is the stock thermostat rated at?

STNG_96

Reaction score
Dont worry about overheating, it shouldnt do that. I have the underdrives on my car as well, and when the summer roles around it does run a bit warmer than normal. I have it a bit easier with my car, because I have the STalker hood. Durring the summer, when its not rainin, I just unblock the scoops on it, and air flows through the front scoops, and out the back, and it actually brings the temp needle down a full letter on the guage.

If you are still worried about it though, a thermostat is a good route to go. Factory thermostats are 192 degrees, and I have heard many people talkin about putting 160 degree ones on there car, which in my opinion is a bit to cool, go with a 180 degree. In case you dont know, basically the thermostat is what regulates the coolant flowing through the motor. It will only let some coolant rhrough the motor until it gets to a certain point (usually about 10 degrees more than what it is rated), then it opens up all the way, allowing coolant to flow freely. So in other words, if you get a lower degree thermostat, it will allow the coolant to flow much sooner, keeping the car cooler. It is a cheap way to get your car to run cooler, and a fairly easy install. Like I said, if your worried about it, then go for it.

Good Luck

sn98gt

Reaction score
I'd hookup an aftermarket temp gauge to find out exactly what your temps are... the stock gauges are not acurate.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
yep i think im gonna go with an after market gauge and see what the true temp is. if its actually running hot, i'll take it to my local dealer that told me its supposed to run/read hotter than any other car ive ever owned :slap: they'll be fixing it for free because i paid plenty for them to diagnose the problem without fixing anything :dunno:

roudyccobra

Reaction score
check this out before you do any thing i did this mod and when mine gets on the warm side i kick the switch on and it and my temp gauge goes way over on the cool side it only takes about 15 min Http://www.superstallions.com/Tech/.../fanswitch.html also if you go under a 180 thermastat it starts messing with your fuel curve and it wont run right.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what year is your car? 96-98 don't have the same cooling systems. They were upgraded in 97 to a better fan/radiator. So 96 with overheating issues were recalled and updated to newer version. I've never had a overheating problem in my 96 and i have Steeda UDP's and i've sat in traffic in 95 degree weather for over 2 hours...(Getting to the beach around here can be a pain in the ass sometimes) Do you ever have your coolant flushed and refilled? I do mine every spring. I also run a 180 degree thermostat to help out.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
what year is your car? 96-98 don't have the same cooling systems. They were upgraded in 97 to a better fan/radiator. So 96 with overheating issues were recalled and updated to newer version. I've never had a overheating problem in my 96 and i have Steeda UDP's and i've sat in traffic in 95 degree weather for over 2 hours...(Getting to the beach around here can be a pain in the ass sometimes) Do you ever have your coolant flushed and refilled? I do mine every spring. I also run a 180 degree thermostat to help out.

its a 97 and yes its been flushed and refilled. its also had the intake manifold replaced twice. it has the stock replacement aluminum crossover intake now but i have a PI sitting in the garage waiting to go on (still need PI cams or heads). im thinking its also got a 180* thermostat too, i'll have to check on that. the ford dealer gave me a print out that says it's normal for the car to run between the M and L on the temp gauge... its never "overheated" :dunno:

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
UPDATE: installed the Steeda U/D Pullies and have not noticed a difference in charging or temp. of course, its been in the 60's - 70's :dunno:

STNG_96

Reaction score
I didnt notice any change in charging right off, but after a lil while, it started doing it when I have my headlights on and am just idling. The ONLY 1 time mine was a little warmer than normal, was on a 95 degree day, after a long drive.

myillwillinc

Reaction score
get a bottle of redline water wetter, you puy half the normal antifreeze in it and mine stays between the n and r during summer months.... works great.

GT281

Reaction score
I always had a hot engine (97 GT). Thinking the factory gauges may be wrong I bought autometers and it still climbed way up in the hot summer weather to the 210-225 range I could feel the power lose. At the time I had steada pullies, timing adjuster and some other heat causing mods. I changed to a 180 thermostat helped just fine as long as the car was going over 30 kph (to cold late in the year). The fix I found was to reprogram the fan high/low/on/off temps. This can be done with tweeker, SCT, most chips and pcm flash systems. I also use a colder non-platinum plug and gapped at .035" (ngk v-power Tr6).

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks GT281... im looking into getting a programmer or chip in the near future. hopefully that will remedy this problem ;D

GT281

Reaction score
I hope the info helps you... Of course there is always the option of buying a better rad, although I didnt need to.. Good Luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online